View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 11:09 AM

Dex just injured a big bird in the garden - can anyone advise please?

There is a big pigeon in our garden; Dex managed to get out the back door and caught it; he tore some of its feathers off but I then recalled him and he came inside.

Now the bird is sitting under a tree, and doesn't seem able to fly. Who does one call; is there anyone that will come out to help a pigeon....?

Excuse my ignorance on this topic!
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 11:13 AM
The RSPCA should be able to assist you.

I have just found this on RSPB website

"For most injured birds, place them gently in a box and keep them quiet, dark and cool. It may be that the bird is in shock and will soon recover so you can let it go. If it is more seriously injured, this will reduce stress on the bird until you can get advice on how you can help it.

The RSPB does not have bird hospitals or a rescue service because we are a conservation charity. The RSPCA, your local vet or a local animal rescue centre, have the expertise to help and advise you about sick and injured birds and animals."

Hope this helps.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/helpin...alth/faqs.aspx
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 11:17 AM
...and if the RSPCA is not a possibility, ask your vet. My vets will take in injured wildlife and then pass them on to the appropriate organizations as necessary (if treatment is possible). We have a couple of charities down here that are privately run and cater especially for wildlife.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 11:18 AM
http://www.wras-enfieldwildlife.org.uk/

or similar in your area.
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 11:39 AM
Take it to your vet.
Most have policies to take in injured wild British animals and birds.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 11:40 AM
Bless it, hopefully it will pull through. Was it it's wing feathers or body feathers that Dexter grabbed (bet he couldn't believe his luck!)
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 01:00 PM
Thanks guys - your posts were really helpful

The vet we take Dex to is going to look at the bird. I'm going to put it in a box, if I can catch it. It can't fly but is still able to walk and flap a lot and looks most unimpressed with us so far...

Dex managed to tear out quite a lot of feathers; I think he couldn't believe he'd actually got that close to eating/killing/catching a bird!

Can't see any blood so am really hoping the little birdie will be OK!!!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 01:10 PM
I once found a wee garden bird (I dunno what it was exactly) in my OHs garden. Jake had been out in the garden, and thank goodness he didn't go for it... although, I nearly stood on it! It didn't look like it was going to make it, it didn't try to get away, even when Jake was there, or when we picked it up. We got a plastic tub, and I ripped up kitchen roll to make a wee bed. OH, the gentle giant he is, got two bottle lids and put milk in one, and water in the other. He also ripped up some tiny bits of bread, just in case.

We then left the wee bird in the porch, so it could get some peace and be safe. A while later, we went back to check on it, and it was sitting on the window sill! OH picked it up (again, the bird didn't struggle), and sat the bird on the stairs... it sat for a few minutes, and then flew away happily!

I was so happy coz the bird did not look good... we dunno what happened to it, but I think maybe it was shock or something like that.

I hope the one Dexter got is ok.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 01:36 PM
Apparently vets have a `duty of care` for injured wildlife. I found this out when I took an injured seagull in (Steven - he recovered )
kita
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-09-2011, 07:19 PM
If it has a ring on its leg it will be a racing pigeon and you can arrange for it to be collected by its owner:

http://www.homingpigeons.co.uk/straypigeons.htm

The direct organization details (going off the first two letters on the ring) here:

http://www.homingpigeons.co.uk/pdf/Lostpigeons.pdf

Sue
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >