Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2013, 10:23 AM
I hate these know it alls with a passion How dare he "assume"

It reminds me of a girl we had down at the stables who would spend all her time telling US what we should and shouldn't be doing and very little time with her own horse I put a sign up on my stable one day which said something along the lines of
"will those of you who THINK you know-it-all, shut the F up and let those of us who DO get on with it" It worked!!!!

Over your head Berger, over your head and you were soooooo cool there!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-04-2013, 10:26 AM
Oh you get it all the time with Pugs, people stand there watching them run around up the park and then feel the need to come over and tell you Pugs can't breathe properly and can't run around like other dogs. Lol you're standing there watching them do exactly what you claim they can't numbnuts
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2013, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by astle9 View Post
eh what is the world coming to when people wish to chat to each other and offer advice in a friendly way.
The guy was very pleasant and friendly as was I and will be in the future if I run in to him again.

There was no advice given just one giant assumption that I had no idea what I was doing, hence my post.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-04-2013, 01:29 PM
Aren't I pleased I have a Tibetan Spaniel because very few people know anything about the breed so I'm spared the lectures.

I did have a bizarre conversation once though with a gentleman who was convinced Chloe was a cat but he was slightly the worse for wear so I suppose he could be forgiven!
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2013, 01:44 PM
I get told how yappy and snappy all jack russells are, and how they shouldn't ever be let off lead because of the birds and squirrels around.
I also been told that their scruffy coats will come in later and their white bits will turn grey.
Thats less "helpful" than I assume the people are trying to be considering I don't even have jack russells....
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2013, 01:56 PM
Why do they think that they are the only one who undrestand their breed???
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2013, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
Owning a staffie you unfortunately get used to people telling you what they think they know about them....
Their jaws lock
Their skulls really do crack
You always have to carry a break bar with you to separate her if she fights
You can never ever leave a staffie with any other dog home alone, they must be crated at all time because if something happens they'll kill the other dog!
(those were all on a staffie forum which I left promptly!)

You'll never be able to fully trust her...she WILL turn one day
You'll be sorry when she rips your children's faces off...then you'll know how wrong you are about Staffies (shouted at use from across a field by a pensioner...while I was with my 2 and 3 year old daughters and Tonks was sit staying next to me...off lead...while I got a stone out of my daughters wellie!)

And on and on.
Yes this is not true except I would never leave 2 Staffords or a Stafford and an other dog together if I was not there. I have very easy dogs and one of mine is so good she is used with dogs with issues because of her lack of reaction.
What is the fact is that Staffords tend not to squable but if they do fight they don't surrender easily. So if something does spark them off the consequences tend to be very serious. They don't have to be crated just in different parst of the house when you are not home.
It has happened to people who have had dogs live happily together for ten years and they have come home to a blood bath and serious injuries and in one case a dead dog.
How often? not often. A risk worth taking? your call.

This is not them being vicious it is just their famouse tenicity in not giving up, the down side.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2013, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
Yes this is not true except I would never leave 2 Staffords or a Stafford and an other dog together if I was not there. I have very easy dogs and one of mine is so good she is used with dogs with issues because of her lack of reaction.
What is the fact is that Staffords tend not to squable but if they do fight they don't surrender easily. So if something does spark them off the consequences tend to be very serious. They don't have to be crated just in different parst of the house when you are not home.
It has happened to people who have had dogs live happily together for ten years and they have come home to a blood bath and serious injuries and in one case a dead dog.
How often? not often. A risk worth taking? your call.

This is not them being vicious it is just their famouse tenicity in not giving up, the down side.

I think the answer to your question is there really...'in one case a dead dog' ten years and then serious injuries. You take that risk with any dog. It completely depends on the dog. Tere are must be thousands of staffies, pit bulls and other dogs with tenacious personality breed traits who are left together with not one inicident. Do you deny them the chance to enjoy companioship when their ownes are out because of the behaviour of others? My dog has been left with my brothers dogs regularly...but only after I had watched them interacting for a few weeks together....and she is now left with our 7 months old bull lurcher...again he was crated for the first month that he lived with us but they now have the kitchen and conservatory together and are only left for very short periods of time and usually after a good walk. I would never leave all three together though because I think three could lead to situations getting out of hand more easily as my broths dog is only 13 months.
Having watched all three dogs interacting together and separately, even when play becomes tetchy they show they are capable of using calming behaviour and distraction to diffuse the situation. If Remus, the pup is getting too snappy, Tonks will either sit on him or get a tug rope to play with. She responds to his yelp if something hurts and he respond to her telling him off...they part and shake it off.

Like you say, it is my call and another thing that will never be proven that it was safe until Tonks shuffles off this mortal coil without killing or seriously harming anyone!
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2013, 03:47 PM
Yes your call

I did not mention people. I mentioned an other dog.

And yes all my dogs are seperated when I am not here including my Lakeland Terriers
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2013, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
Yes your call

I did not mention people. I mentioned an other dog.

And yes all my dogs are seperated when I am not here including my Lakeland Terriers
Mmm, don't think I mentioned people either? When I said anyone I meant other dogs.

Not wanting to seem a know it all I would just like to add that, although I was certain that my decision to leave Tonks with our new dog was safe, I am in the luckily position of having been friends with and works with a behaviourist for the past 16 years or more so was able to have an expert opinion on the matter. He was also of the opinion that our dogs enjoy each others company and it is highly unlikely that interactions would end in the death or serious injury of either of them....Especially as i do not interfere in any mild disagreements during play they had in the early days together while they got to know each other. They have a crate, with the door left open...with Tonks likes to sit in, they also have two other options for bedding too and I feel that they benefit from each others company in the two hours max that they are left together. I rarely But, like you say, it's also your call if you would rather leae your dogs individually crated for the times that you are not there.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >