Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2010, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
Lol!

Ach! So primal!

or even...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BevUJlp-Iw

(Incidentally, the dogs in the picture used to belong to Micheal Vick. Remember him? Demonstrating that the primal instincts of even ex-fighting dogs can be predominantly social)
Perhaps I should have clarified...I meant the dogs that the OP described in her orginal post, Ovchartka's, Dogos, etc.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2010, 01:45 PM
[QUOTE=loraine;1886595]
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I have to say that I can't see the appeal at all of the "banned" breeds. My idea of dog ownership isn't to have a dog that is so primal in it's instincts that it can't be trusted around people or other dogs. I can't think of anything worse than having to be on your toes all the time because of the type of dog you have and it's temperament. Where is the fun in that? no thanks. [/Q

my friend was attacked by three yorkies so was her gentle and loving german shepherd, i suppose your saying its alright for certain breeds to attack but not others. I SAY BAN THE DEED NOT THE BREED
Err...where did I mention attacking? LOL. I said having a dog that is naturally aggressive around people and other dogs is hardly my idea of dog ownership. The concept of owning such a dog is just bizarre to me...they are not "pets" IMO. Each to their own, eh?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2010, 01:46 PM
Perhaps I should have clarified...I meant the dogs that the OP described in her orginal post, Ovchartka's, Dogos, etc.
why does that make a difference?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2010, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
why does that make a difference?
Difference to what?
loraine
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-02-2010, 01:53 PM
[QUOTE=loraine;1886595]
I have to say that I can't see the appeal at all of the "banned" breeds. My idea of dog ownership isn't to have a dog that is so primal in it's instincts that it can't be trusted around people or other dogs. I can't think of anything worse than having to be on your toes all the time because of the type of dog you have and it's temperament. Where is the fun in that? no thanks. [/Q

my friend was attacked by three yorkies so was her gentle and loving german shepherd, i suppose your saying its alright for certain breeds to attack but not others. I SAY BAN THE DEED NOT THE BREED
[QUOTE=labradork;1886647]
Originally Posted by loraine View Post

Err...where did I mention attacking? LOL. I said having a dog that is naturally aggressive around people and other dogs is hardly my idea of dog ownership. The concept of owning such a dog is just bizarre to me...they are not "pets" IMO. Each to their own, eh?
dogs are not naturally agressive there made to be that way by being put into the wrong human hands. WHATEVER!
Bagwoman
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-02-2010, 01:54 PM
I agree after my two died I got a giddy little lurcher who I have had for 13 years and has been so easy to live with.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2010, 02:01 PM
[QUOTE=loraine;1886652][QUOTE=loraine;1886595]

dogs are not naturally agressive there made to be that way by being put into the wrong human hands. WHATEVER!
Not true. From the Fila Brasileiro Club of America on the breeds temperament:

"never be inattentive of your Fila. Your Fila may accept people in general but if someone makes a wrong move in the eyes of your dog it will revert to its instinctual behavior

They should have a natural dislike toward strangers. They do not need “attack” type training but rather they require obedience training and training to direct their energies in an acceptable manner. This training and control must begin when the dog is a puppy or you will not be able to control the 125+ pound adult who is trying his best to “defend” you. To the dog, a “stranger” is ANYONE that has not been a regular part of the dog’s world. The Fila (assuming he has the correct Fila temperament of “Ojeriza”) will display his dislike and aggressively defend his home and possessions from all stranger (including the Avon lady, visiting grandma, the delivery driver, your new boyfriend or girlfriend, etc.). Even children may be bitten if the dog feels they are a threat to his property or if the dog feels the children may be hurting your own children.

if challenged or threatened by another dog or by a human, they will not back down"

http://www.thefbca.com/index_files/Page380.htm

And you are suggesting that some breeds do not have instinctive aggression inbuilt?
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2010, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
anydog owner should always be 'on their toes' imo

oh and ive know a helluva alot of untrustable labs (along with other so called 'family dogs'
I agree, at the kennels labs were the worse , I think that everydog has the chance to shine in the right home, the right home being the emphasise, anyone heard of Bandog Dread, amazing dog, wish that I could of met him.

Banning anything makes it more appealing to certain people, many of the dogs now that wouldn't make great first pets are probally being over looked, but if they was made illegal would probally be in demand, and also when breeds are legal there is more of a chance of breeders checking the homes for people who know what they are doing, and get the dogs into right homes.

Also I would have to say here, I would give my right arm for a well bred APBT, but I doubt that I would ever get the chance, because of the law, but I could probally get my hands on many badly bred PB types.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

10-02-2010, 03:03 PM
And you are suggesting that some breeds do not have instinctive aggression inbuilt?
I would not deny that predispostions exist within breeds but I have never seen any breed characteristic that did not permit variation. We can say that collies as a breed are predisposed to herding behaviours but we cannot say "That dog is a BC therefor it will herd."

It is undeniable that some lines in some breeds carry an inherited propensity for aggressive behaviour. Cocker rage syndrome might be a good example of this. It may also be possible, in some locations, at some times, for such aggressive lines to predominate within a breed (I am told that Chow Chows in th USA are a very much fiestier beastie than in the UK).

However there is no breed typical characteristic that I have observed in any breed that was uniform to every individual within it.

I think APBT (purebred, I'm not even talking about the mess we get when we introduce the issue of 'type') are a good example of this. There are gamebred lines which embody an implacable hostility towards other dogs. Then there are non-game lines such as produced Sharky in the Youtube clip I posted. Same breed, very different predispositions.

You're a gundog peep, aren't you? (my memory is cack) Think of the huge gulf between the instincts and predispositions of a showbred cocker and a working cocker.
wolfdogowner
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-02-2010, 03:34 PM
Not true. From the Fila Brasileiro Club of America on the breeds temperament:

"never be inattentive of your Fila. Your Fila may accept people in general but if someone makes a wrong move in the eyes of your dog it will revert to its instinctual behavior

They should have a natural dislike toward strangers. They do not need “attack” type training but rather they require obedience training and training to direct their energies in an acceptable manner. This training and control must begin when the dog is a puppy or you will not be able to control the 125+ pound adult who is trying his best to “defend” you. To the dog, a “stranger” is ANYONE that has not been a regular part of the dog’s world. The Fila (assuming he has the correct Fila temperament of “Ojeriza”) will display his dislike and aggressively defend his home and possessions from all stranger (including the Avon lady, visiting grandma, the delivery driver, your new boyfriend or girlfriend, etc.). Even children may be bitten if the dog feels they are a threat to his property or if the dog feels the children may be hurting your own children.

if challenged or threatened by another dog or by a human, they will not back down"

http://www.thefbca.com/index_files/Page380.htm

Yes it may be true, but you wont convince the 'all dogs are cuddly brigade' .

What we need to do is un-ban the cuddly pet lines of these dogs and keep the aggressive lines banned?
Page 7 of 12 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »