Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-02-2010, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by aerolor
I have just had a quick flit through this subject and so what I will say may have already been said, but it is too late to ban the deed when the deed has already taken place, i.e. serious injury sustained from a dog whatever breed - I do not think you can ban the deed. I believe all breeds have the potential to bite and be aggressive, it is just the extent of the damage created when it happens. Tosas and other large dogs are capable of great harm and before anyone gets a dog (whatever breed it is) I would hope they will thoroughly research the breed they like the look of and question why they would want to keep the dog. If purely for a companion or a pet - would a Tosa (or other large fighting dog) be suitable for sharing a house with children. I could go on further, but the whole thought of sharing my home with such a dog scares me. Perhaps I am a wimp.

Originally Posted by fluffymummy View Post
I have to say I somewhat agree with this.

And me!!
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2010, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
To answer your points in turn:

The test will require the establishment of a database but this is not a new challenge. The DVLA already run a similar (and much larger) database. All the principles and technologies that the DOT requires are already tried and tested (and successful) in other fields.

Nobody will have their dog taken becuse they haven't passed the test - they will face ongoing and increasing fines until they do, though.

Old (exempt) dogs can be discerned from new by scanning them but this is only a temporary complexity. Within one dog generation all owners would be DOT'able.

I agree that enforcement of our dogs laws is sporadic and insufficient. This proposal brings in new money and releases existing resources, that are wasted on trying to enforce the flawed DDA, and that can be focused on minority non-compliance but, in the main, it is self-enforcing through market pressure and this is its great strength. Buyers are checked by suppliers who are checked by advertising media who are checked by buyers. The DOT sets up a situation where it is in everyone's best interests to ensure the other guy is legit. The mainstream dog buying public will have to comply leaving minority non-compliance to be dealt with either with the new resources available or when the owner comes to the attention of the authorities on other matters.

In your hypothetical case it wouldn't matter how long the owner had had the dog (providing DOT was in force when he did get it). Fine for not having a DOT, fine for supplier for supplying an unDot'ed owner.
Again I like the theory of it, and had a good read of
http://www.petparliament.com/viewart...sid=115&aid=21
it would hopefully do what it sets out to acheive, I guess I am sceptical as the good dog owners will comply and the 'problematic (or potentially)' will evade the new scheme. Just as fools, drive cars, with no licence, registration, insurance and other circumstances.
What impact do you think it will do to BYB's or puppy farms? I read what it proposes to do but not sure it will alter the numbers. Puppy farmers seem not to have a conscience anyway, and would just breed anyway and not just breed reponsibly anyway and find puppy farms with twice as many dogs (if DOT does have the desired effect).
I guess there is no silver bullet but it would be an improvement on what is in place now. As long as there are enough people to follow up the practical side persay (out on the streets).

Emrad

Totally off-topic (sorry) - have you ever heard of anyone in your country having their vehicle seized by animal control? I only recently discovered that your dog wardens have the power to do that.
No where didd you see that ?
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

14-02-2010, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by Emrad View Post
What impact do you think it will do to BYB's or puppy farms?
Puppyfarmers, pet shops, etc would have to fall in line straight away as they are simply too visible to avoid it. They would comply because they rely on breeding for their living and so will rely on their supplier-DOT (SDOT). Any sale to an unDOT'ed owner could endanger their SDOT if discovered. If that owner came to the attention of the authorities at any time during that dog's life the supplier could face sanction and loss of his livelihood. Just not worth his risk. The compulsory identification element (which is likely to come soon anyway) will make overbreeding easier to spot. Unlicensed puppyfarms would not be able to continue.

The regular BYB will also have to comply or give up as he relies on advertising to make his sales. The casual BYB and one-litter brigade will be the hardest to oversee but, hopefully, the eductional aspect of the DOT will deter some of these, too. Eventually all puppy buyers will expect their pup to be registered and offering unregistered dogs at a discount will not be enough to offset the risk that the new owner would be buying into - a ten to fifteen years long risk.

No where didd you see that ?
It was in a presentation given at the National Dog Wardens Assoc.'s AGM (I'm not a dog warden but I was there anyway).
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2010, 08:37 AM
Puppyfarmers, pet shops, etc would have to fall in line straight away as they are simply too visible to avoid it. They would comply because they rely on breeding for their living and so will rely on their supplier-DOT (SDOT). Any sale to an unDOT'ed owner could endanger their SDOT if discovered. If that owner came to the attention of the authorities at any time during that dog's life the supplier could face sanction and loss of his livelihood. Just not worth his risk. The compulsory identification element (which is likely to come soon anyway) will make overbreeding easier to spot. Unlicensed puppyfarms would not be able to continue.

The regular BYB will also have to comply or give up as he relies on advertising to make his sales. The casual BYB and one-litter brigade will be the hardest to oversee but, hopefully, the eductional aspect of the DOT will deter some of these, too. Eventually all puppy buyers will expect their pup to be registered and offering unregistered dogs at a discount will not be enough to offset the risk that the new owner would be buying into - a ten to fifteen years long risk.

It was in a presentation given at the National Dog Wardens Assoc.'s AGM (I'm not a dog warden but I was there anyway).
Okay I like the idea still but still think it will have limited effect in some areas, but it is better than the DDA and is worth a go.

Not sure if that is true about seizing cars, never heard of it as a law or it being implemented again it could be a state law, we have a law for squishing car hoons cars (I know OT)
AshMan
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-02-2010, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by Emrad View Post
but it is better than the DDA and is worth a go.

)
Indeed.

Legalize Pitbulls
Page 12 of 12 « First < 2 9 10 11 12