Our sister sites
finnigan31
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-01-2005, 11:57 PM

Mature Students

Has anyone got a degree through the Open University

I left school without any qualifications, never been to college/uni
but I am now about to start a degree in Social Sciences but I am a bit worried . Scared of failure I suppose.

I would like to hear your experiences with furthering your education. How did you cope, my first tutorial is tomorrow night

yvonne
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2005, 07:26 AM
Havent done an open University course (not disciplined enough I suppose)
But for the last two years I have been studying at college for my Diploma- I've loved it.
Its great getting your brain to *think* again - although a bit stressful at exam time but its brilliant to achieve something at the end of all that work

Go for it- you'll enjoy it
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-01-2005, 09:14 AM
Hi Finnigan sons friend doing an OU in maths and has been doing it for four years niece did a masters at Uni age 28 (I suppose that is mature ) in Business and Management with two small children (think they were about 1 and 3) and a part time job, coped very well and passed
I wish you every success, continuing education it is a great thing to do and I am sure you will find it very rewarding, wish I had the time/money/ brain to do it . Keep us posted how you are getting on
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-01-2005, 09:27 AM
I did my second degree as a mature student. The mind does get get out the study habit and one also gets out of the assignment-writing habit. But it comes back fairly quickly and you have the advantage of experience, which is a great help in all disciplines.

Good luck, you will enjoy it.
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2005, 01:54 PM
my husband is doing a part time degree he is 30 and has been doing it for four year he started when twins were 2 and boys were 4 and 6 and he has always had a full time job aswell, he goes to uni one day a week and finishes this year woo hoo! he has found it hard and has had to be very disciplined but i say go for it!
olive
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-01-2005, 02:36 PM
Hi Yvonne,

I'm looking to do a OU Degree, probably in Humanities. When I left school I went to do a BEd Degree at Teaching College, but left after a year then went on to do a diploma in Special Education. After that I worked for five years as a Youth Coordinator. Now I work from home and think it's about time I get back into education. So now thinking of signing up for OU - I'm a bit frightened though incase I can't handle all the studying.

I hope you enjoy your tutorial. Fill us in how it went.
finnigan31
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-01-2005, 10:37 PM
:smt026

Well my first tutorial went very well, mostly introductions and going over course materials, I am very happy because I understood everything he spoke about and I am feeling much more confident in my abilities.

I think academic writing is going to be the biggest problem for me as I have never done any ops: but still feeling more confident.

yvonne
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2005, 10:46 PM
It'll be so worth it in the end.i went back to uni when i was 24 so i was a sort of mature student, and i had the time of my life !!i wish i could afford to go back for the social side of it!!
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2005, 11:04 PM
i was 24 so i was a sort of mature student
Candie you're not even mature now
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2005, 11:34 PM
i know and im staying that way :P :P :P
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >