View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2006, 09:43 PM

Freedom verses Safety (risks of allowing dogs to run free v restricted exercise)

Since moving to Ireland I have had to adjust to different attitudes towards dogs. In both towns and rural areas, it is usual to see lots of dogs roaming free in the streets and wandering up lanes on their own, quite a hazard to even the careful driver. Many are never allowed in the house but live in the yard (with an open gate ) and the corner of a barn or a small kennel to sleep in. This applies to pets as well as working dogs.
Dog theft happens here, and often results in a ransom being demanded of the owner if the dog nappers think the dog is valuable. Others are never seen again.
Consequently, my dogs only free run on my property or that of the kennels where they stay while I am at work (securely fenced and supervised exercise) otherwise they are on the lead. I expect they would like more free running and for further but I fear for their safety. On the other hand, am I turning them into bored, over protected dogs because they are on the lead when we are out at weekends apart from running about in the garden?
How do others balance the need for freedom against safety from accident, rogue dogs and theft?
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-01-2006, 11:14 PM
I think that so long as your dogs have decent on-lead walks and the opportunity to run around and play in secure areas, such as you describe, plus plenty of mental stimulation and human interaction then they will be fine Much better to err on the side of caution.

On a side note, I cannot understand why people put notices on their gates and cars which tell all and sundry that a particular breed of dog can be found there. Asking for giref in my opinion
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-01-2006, 11:31 PM
Deccy this is not a question that really arises in my case, in the rural community around here there are few rogue dogs and little theft. I think if I were in your position I would occasionally try to find some open land where the dogs are reasonably safe to run even if it means driving a little way to reach them. I guess there are dogs in towns who never get to really run free, and a good walk all be it on the lead is mentally stimulating and probably more than some dogs get .
Tabatha
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-01-2006, 03:59 AM
Yes I agree with Shadowboxer. As long as your dogs are given that human to dog interaction and walked on a lead then I am sure they are the lucky ones, not those that run the risk of being shot by farmers or run over by oncoming traffic or worse still, poisened. I live in the country and there is one particular individual that wouldn't think twice about shooting any dog that is unlucky enough to find its way on his property, even little dogs that haven't and wouldn't be capable of killing livestock; he has boasted as much to me only the other day and has said that on many occasions he has shot a fair few dogs on the thigh and was then awaiting to see if the owner of the dog would front up and complain. Mind you he proceeded to tell me that he shot his own maremma sheepdog and threw her in the compost bin. Sorry, I don't want this to upset anyone, I know that after our "discussion" I couldn't wait to get the hell out of there.

Any responsible dog owner should take responsibility for his dog/s and ensure that they are never allowed to free roam unless in a very secluded area for the sake and welfare of the dog/s. You are a breath of fresh air in your attitude, I just wish that each and every dog owner was the same.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2006, 08:23 AM
Think I understand what you mean, my sister moved to Spain where all the dogs are either chained up or loose on their own. Trouble is the farmers/land owners think nothing of shooting a dog that is on or near land that has stock in it. So her dogs that were allowed to run free in the UK in selected areas there they are on a lead when not on their own property. Their neighbours think them mad and laugh at them walking with their dogs on leads.

Think we have begun to look on our dogs as members of the family and therefore protect them as we would children, half for their sake and half for our own as we can't bear to think of loosing them of having them injured or being ceased, where as other nations still consider them stock or working tools. Sometimes wonder why and when the change took place and have always come to the conclusion that it was when it became illegal to allow your dog off lead on public walk ways and to be responsible for any action your dog may take however understandable or natural that action may be. So just like a gun you may own one but you are totally responsible for its care and its use.

Also think this may have been the start of owning a dog as a status symbol, a way of saying look at me I can not only afford this dog but I care enough about it to do all the law requires of me as a dog owner, and then, of course, there are those who don't care about the dog or the law and others who treat their dogs like stuffed animals not allowing the dog any chance to lead a 'dogs life'
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2006, 08:27 AM
Deccy I think it's hard not to be cautious in your predicament, I'd be the same i think although it would be very hard

I'd probably try to find some safe areas and take people with me to make me feel better
Daysleeper40
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-01-2006, 09:09 AM
I think you are doing the right thing for you, the dogs, and other members of the public. I'm sure it would be nice for your dogs to have some free running time if you can find a safe area - but if you can't then as others have said, the on-lead walks / free time at the kennels will be stimulating enough, combine that with the human interaction and frankly your dogs are laughing!

I can't tolerate peole who let their dogs roam free - apart from the obvious dangers to the dog, it is also not very considerate towards other people. I remember my sister (who is a nanny) telling me about a little boy she was looking after - he had no problems with dogs at all until the day they came across a GSD loose in a public place. The dog didn't do anything to the child apart from bounce around next to him but when you are 4 years old and it's a large GSD - that in itself can be a bit unerving This little boy now has a dog phobia which could have been avoided.

I let Ollie off lead when we go for walks in the woods, where there are lots of other dogs for him to play with, he is supervised, and there are no play areas for the little people. It's a fun environment for him and I can relax knowing he is safe.