Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lkurv
New Member!
Female 

27-06-2016, 05:34 PM

HELP!!!! My dog is eating my house!!!!

Help my dog is eating my house, ok chewing my house, specifically the trim around several doors. He "attacks" the trim every time he hears someone outside. He's lived in this house with us for 2 1/2 years and just started doing this. What can we do to make him stop?!?!??
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	5094  
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2016, 05:43 PM
Check his general health - this is a new behaviour and new behaviours are often triggered by illness/pain etc.

Check what has changed recently that may have triggered this new behaviour - change in routine, food, routine etc
GC Reagan
New Member!
Male 

05-07-2016, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Check his general health - this is a new behaviour and new behaviours are often triggered by illness/pain etc.

Check what has changed recently that may have triggered this new behaviour - change in routine, food, routine etc
Agree with Chris or may be anxiety, or he's not getting any exercises lately, chew toys etc. Not an expert in dog behaviours.

Consult a vet too right away. Hope it will be resolved soon
PetsAreFamily
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-07-2016, 12:45 PM
I'm sorry you are having this problem, I know it is very distressing. I found two links with suggestions (specifically for dogs that chew door frames) that sound very good:

http://www.pet-happy.com/stop-your-d...ng-door-frame/

http://www.netmums.com/coffeehouse/h...-door-all.html
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-07-2016, 01:29 PM
Eating your house lol hardly. My Prt once did far more damage in about an hour. His problem was he hated to be confined and I'd shut him in the kitchen, being a resourceful little oike he thought he'd chew his way out. He didn't quite make it but I learned not to shut the door again. He was fine with a dog gate so he could see out but better still with coming to work with me.
Ms. M
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-07-2016, 01:38 PM
That's my biggest problem before! But because of the help of a proper training and the help of my vet and behaviorist my dog is okay now and he obey me everytime I command him.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2016, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Eating your house lol hardly. My Prt once did far more damage in about an hour. His problem was he hated to be confined and I'd shut him in the kitchen, being a resourceful little oike he thought he'd chew his way out. He didn't quite make it but I learned not to shut the door again. He was fine with a dog gate so he could see out but better still with coming to work with me.
You made me laugh!! Ben could do that much damage in a few minutes!! Whereas I would agree with a vet check just to be on the safe side, from my own personal experience over 20 years with Hal, Ben and tai you just have to accept that some dogs cannot be left home alone ... End of. I have just come out of hospital following a hip replacement and when OH came in to see me he couldn't leave Ben at home because he would have destroyed the porch so brought him and left him in the car. Within minutes Reception were telephoning to say that the dog was howling in the car!!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2016, 05:51 PM
My Grand-daughter has had the same problem with her dog since the death of the older Collie.
She had a behaviourist come to see her. It was decided it was stress. He gave her some pointers and training tips and things are improving slowly.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2016, 10:20 PM
When a dog has been fine for 2 and a half years and a new behaviour comes out of the blue, more often than not it's medical related.

Yes, lots of dogs don't like to be left, but this guy was fine with it for a long time so either he's unwell or something has changed that has upset him
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-07-2016, 08:38 AM
When Millie became ill and at the end of her life, she developed anxiety and a need to be near you all the time, she was in a lot of pain and needed reassurance, I came home a few times to find she had tried to eat her way through the door, (trying to find us) it used to brake my heart to think at 11 yrs of age she needed so much comfort that she would resort to such a behaviour, in all her 11 yrs she never chewed a thing,

So if this behaviour is out of character I would be looking for a reason, first call the vets, then look to see if anything has changed in routine and such.