Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
davehazz
New Member!
Male 

29-04-2007, 10:42 PM

my staffy runs off

i have a 15 month old male staff great dog but he keeps running away when i let him off the lead he comes back but its about 15 to 25 mins any ideas how i can keep him with me , i bring treats and toy when we go out,

thanks for any ideas dave
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2007, 11:06 PM
Have a read of this to get you started

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=8049
JKKsEuroDoberma
New Member!
Female 

03-05-2007, 12:07 PM
First off STOP letting him off lead until he is completely trained.
This is the question I get asked the most.
OK #1 forget everything you ever taught him.
3 times a day for 10 minute sessions. this week in the house on a leash practice sit and come. walk up the the dog with treats he cant resist ( i use meat,cheese,whipped cream, cheese wizz)
and tell him sit reward and praise immediately! timing is everything. when you can walk up to him and tell him sit 10 times in a row and walk around him with him moving then he is trained for sit move onto come. put him is a sit put treat always in left hand between thumb and palm let him see the treat! and slowly point to your toes "come". again immediate treat and praise (you are Disneyland in his mind).
NEVER ever correct the dog for coming to you EVER! other wise the dog will only see coming to you as something bad will happen. if the dog is doing something wrong go to the dog.redirect . keep these secions up and then move him to a back yard then to a park on a 50 foot lead. always praise treat reward. he tries to wander off. step on the lead go to him , take him by the collar take him to where you were standing and as soon as you get there command come praise treat reward. he will think you are God and can reach him anywhere. again this will not work if you correct him for coming to you. it will take time and Patience. BE consistent.
JKKsEuroDoberma
New Member!
Female 

03-05-2007, 12:28 PM
quick foot note
always talk calmly to the dog. dont scream when you command . and if you are in a bad mood Dont Train!
praise, treat, reward
trace1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-05-2007, 08:23 AM
can feel a long training session going on in our garden over the next couple of weeks now.
both my dogs just run off so they are never allowed of lead, but i'm going to teach the come just in case they get out of the front door which they sometimes do when the kids forget lol.
Heidi1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-05-2007, 06:20 PM
Ancol do a good 50 foot long line that is soft but strong. You can get it from Canine Concepts. We have the same problem. It is down to age and training I think.
davehazz
New Member!
Male 

04-05-2007, 08:39 PM
hi all thanks for your help and advice i shall be trying it out over the next few weeks !! and keep you all updated.