Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2006, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by I lubz Mini Schnauzers
She's only had one accident all day today on the floor. I was washing my hands, and she squated to pee in front of me, I said AH AH AHHHH!!!! Then I rushed her to the right place and praised her.

How will I know if she is learning or not though?
TBH I wouldn't even say "Ah" to her just clean it up & quickly & take her out giving her a pee command. You risk making her think that peeing when you can see her is wrong & then she could start doing it out of your sight

I would go back to basics & start again like a new puppy taking her out every couple of hours etc & teaching her the pee command & when you have fewer accidents you are on your way to success. You might have a few setbacks especially as she coming into season as bitches do pee more then in order to alert the dogs of their imminent condition

Teaching the pee command can be really useful especially away from home
ellenlouise
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-01-2006, 07:18 PM
Kia took about a month to be fully house trained. Luckily for u it was summer when she was a pup so the back door was always open., if I remember she only ever had a couple of accidents. When she did this i didnt react at all just picked her up took her outside and said wee wee. Baby gates are great. i wouldn't tie her up. My boyfriend dog used to get tied up before i gt involved it was a nightmare. He became so scared of anything that he thorght could be a tie. He is fine now. Even though they still tie him outside he has a kennel and loads of chews and a kong so he is used to it. He is also never left alone out there anymore, not what I would do but works for the family. Its took then 16 months to house train him. So your doing fine. I never used any type of crate for kia, she had her own room with a baby gate on it that kept her safe if she needed to be kept that way. Now she has full roam of house and only uses her room to sleep in. Recently though we moved her bigger bed to the bottom of the stairs as she was sleeping there. its a better place for her. Ther is a window above it which she looks out of ready to greet anyone coming in the front door. It takes time there will be set backs. Never give up or loose your temper with her. You may do once but its not worth it. Remember your both learning. Is this your first puppy?/Dog?

Hope tht helps
Ellen
I lubz Mini Schnauzers
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-01-2006, 08:30 PM
Yeah, this is my first ever dog.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2006, 08:42 PM
LOL that explains a lot Steve

I would suggest you have a look at some of Gwen Bailey's books on puppies they are quite good & full of common sense
I lubz Mini Schnauzers
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-01-2006, 08:45 PM
I already have the book "How to raise a puppy you can live with" and 4 other books.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2006, 09:05 PM
Are any of your books by UK authors ? I'm intrigued as to where you got the tethering idea from ?

I feel that US ideas on puppy rasining can be totally alien to UK ideas.They do rely quite a lot on crating(too much in some cases TBH)

Do you have any of Gwen's books ?
I lubz Mini Schnauzers
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-01-2006, 09:07 PM
She just peed in her crate. Sigh. I had her out of it for most of the day taking her out to go toilie regulary, and now she's just gone in it, and was only in for seconds before she peed.

I lubz Mini Schnauzers
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-01-2006, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK
Are any of your books by UK authors ? I'm intrigued as to where you got the tethering idea from ?

I feel that US ideas on puppy rasining can be totally alien to UK ideas.They do rely quite a lot on crating(too much in some cases TBH)

Do you have any of Gwen's books ?
I'm not sure if any of my books are by any UK authors to be honest. I think I read about tethering your dog to you when you're sitting down, so she can't just run off, pee, poop and chew things in one of my books. Can't remember which one though.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2006, 09:12 PM
Mike

i'm not having a got at you but she's a puppy & there is no real perfect puppy. She isn't doing deliberately. I would really go back to the very basics & not allow her access to her crate whilst you are around to break the habit of peeing in the crate. She obviously thinks thats where she should go.

Please be very patient even your body language can be read by her as disapproval

Puppy rearing isn't easy with some puppies
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2006, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by I lubz Mini Schnauzers
I'm not sure if any of my books are by any UK authors to be honest. I think I read about tethering your dog to you when you're sitting down, so she can't just run off, pee, poop and chew things in one of my books. Can't remember which one though.
It sounds like a very US method & TBH very outdated a bit like using paper or puppy training mats

If you have a read the spelling will show you which are US ones as they spell behaviour as behavior & colour as color.
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >