Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2012, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
How do they know which fox has taken the birds whatever in question or do they just indiscrimately shoot any fox they see? No I dont expect them to know just as I dont expect a fox to know the difference between domestic kept animals and those that are kept for 'sport'.

I am amazed at how people seem to attribute human sort of logicical thinking onto a wild animal.
If you don't clear up the mess they make (bodies and so forth) they come back for the rest of the food, and will often make repeat visits once they have been able to get food somewhere (exactly like repeat visits to a garden when people leave food for them).

This means that it's often easy for someone to either place a trap, or wait it out to shoot them, as they return to the food...
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2012, 09:03 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Culling is not for the sake of keeping animals healthy imo. It is once again for OUR own benefits, be that of the dairy farmer in the case of badgers, or the pheasant breeders who want to raise their young so that they can blow their brains out at a later date - fact!
http://www.gwct.org.uk/research__sur...aders/1651.asp

There is a scientific paper if you want to read deeper.

I was involved in this as I was research assistant every summer for 4 years. It was AMAZING to see the difference on the previously unkeepered areas, to see the curlews displaying again. When walking across the unkeepered plot, before the switch, it was pretty much dead, there was the odd wader around, and the odd grouse but nothing special. When they switched to the keepered plot, it was just unbelievable how quickly things came back - curlews, lapwing displaying, an abundance of grouse, etc etc.

To see that first hand, really makes me believe that foxes must be controlled. I remember walking through a keepered plot and finding a fox. I knew I had to tell the keeper it was there, but I wasn't happy about doing so. I am not blood thirsty, and don't like to see things killed needlessly, but again, I believe foxes need to be controlled.

Lapwings are on the red list now, so are critically declining. We have plenty on here...but foxes and other predators are controlled. The RSPB will now control predators, although very quietly as it doesn't sit well with your average joe public.

Now to the cost of it. Foxes on a grouse moor can cause a lot of damage, which I have seen for myself. A "small" grouse day will bring in £18,000 for one day. Take into account all the keeper employed, their families who live with them in their houses which they get for free, and certainly couldn't afford if they had to pay. The beaters on the shoot day, the pickers up, loaders, caterers, beaters bus driver. The shepherds who are employed as part of the working estate, the gardeners, the foresty men. No grouse, no shoot day.

It is believed that £23.3 million is generated for the Scottish economy for grouse shooting. That is an awful lot of money.

Yes, foxes are controlled, yes it's a lot to do with money but where would we be without that money?

Helen
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2012, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
If you don't clear up the mess they make (bodies and so forth) they come back for the rest of the food, and will often make repeat visits once they have been able to get food somewhere (exactly like repeat visits to a garden when people leave food for them).

This means that it's often easy for someone to either place a trap, or wait it out to shoot them, as they return to the food...
When we lost our chickens, we put my trail camera out and caught the fox coming back 3 times. Unfortunately, we didn't have a trap big enough, but just wanted evidence that it actually was a fox and not a stray dog.

Helen
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2012, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I adore foxes. They make noises here too. I don't mind they are as entitled to be living as I am.

I think it is arrogant to assume we are the most intelligent creatures on earth, let alone the best predators. If we were as intelligent as we like to think we are we surely would have planned ahead better instead of killing the planet that supports us!

Hunting is an awful 'sport' I will never see the attraction of killing things for fun.
We are the most intelligent creatures on earth, and unfortunately the best predators if allowed to use weapons (unarmed we are pretty much defenceless against an animal such as an elephant or a big cat). Which makes it even the more amazing that being so intelligent, we are still destroying the very planet upon which we depend for survival. I agree with you that killing for fun is awful, killing for food and for survival fine, but I can see nothing enjoyable in killing anything just for the sake of it, or because it is interfering in my life in some way.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2012, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
I never said I was an expert either, but given the options, and weighing up the different effects on individuals and species overall, I prefer culling as a method of number control, than altering all breeding age adults that are capable of reproducing.

I agree with you ... but I am sure a zoologist expert in the safe control of fox numbers could devise some method of controlling fox numbers in a more natural way than by the use of hormones.

You've said a few times you are against your local hunt blocking up escape routes for dens/setts. That does not answer the question of how the fox perceives the chase, it simply makes people feel better that foxes do not run to a hole, and then run again if they find it's blocked. And that is the key issue, a fox doesn't stop at a blocked hole, turn to the hounds and decry the hunt as being unfair, it lives or dies by whatever life throws in it's way, and flight has been, and will always bee, an important part of a wild animals' nature. It is healthy for wild animals to fear what may harm them.

So it think it acceptable then for local hunts to send down the terriers to flush out foxes from their earths, having blocked up any and all other escape routes in the neighbourhood, and then block up that earth to prevent the foxes returning to ground? That is despicable ... my grandfather would turn in his grave if any hunt servant from his hunt was involved in any such diabolical act. Flight is indeed part of a wild animal's nature, but nature allows for the possibility of escape as well, a safe haven. If all those safe havens have been blocked up by man, that is very definitely not natural!

Explain the difference between how a rabbit feels between being pursued, to how a fox feels from being pursued. Or is the difference in your perception only?
I have already explained the difference ... as I perceive it ... between a rabbit being pursued and a fox in a later post, so I won't bore you by repeating myself.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2012, 11:38 AM
Couldn't agree more, live and let live I say! Blimey, I wouldn't even kill a spider outdoors because it has every right to be there, just like I do. I don't like us killing any other species, hunting them down or culling them, I never understand how we think we have the right to kill any living, breathing creature, except if it's an annoying fly or wasp that is!

Spoken from someone who used to hunt on horseback many moons ago Wouldn't do it now, I've seen some terrible blood lusting antics! The best one was when we were foot following one day, and as the hunt made their way across a big ploughed field in persuit of what they thought was their kill......there in the bushes nearby was the fox, panting and sweating, but he did have a wry smile on his face
Well said H - I hate killing anything, even flies, and personally do not kill wasps as they do an awful lot of good. I will go to extreme lengths to rescue them and bees from our conservatory when they get trapped, and spent a lot of time on holiday recently rescuing various flying insects from the hot tub in the garden!!

Me too used to go hunting, I am ashamed to admit. I used to love it when Charlie got away ... after all, to my mind the fun was in the chase, not the kill. I always wanted him to get away, to outwit and outfox (no pun intended!) hounds so that we got a better run. I would never call out "Ware fox", even if I saw one. Some foxes were really clued up, and I could see them taking the Michael out of hounds. However, that was in the old days before some hunts decided to flush out foxes with terriers and then stop up the earths and other holes to prevent them being able to go to ground. That is cruel, sick and barbaric and is probably one of the main reasons why hunting was banned in the first place.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2012, 11:44 AM
Flies carry diseases, when they sit on a pile of poo somewhere and then come into my house and land on my sandwich sitting on the kitchen worktop, foxes and other animals who carry diseases don't do that, I can avoid them, I cannot avoid the flies.

Wasps sting, they have no purpose in life, they're not pretty, they're just annoying, and again, they come into my house and have to be dealt with, foxes don't, nor does anything else, even a rat wouldn't get in if I take the right precautions.

Culling is not for the sake of keeping animals healthy imo. It is once again for OUR own benefits, be that of the dairy farmer in the case of badgers, or the pheasant breeders who want to raise their young so that they can blow their brains out at a later date - fact!
Have to correct you on the wasp front H!! Agreed they sting, but only if we interfere with them. Virtually every year we have a wasp nest somewhere in the garden, and we just make a note of where they are and leave them be. Wasps do an incredible amount of good - for instance, they prey on a variety of garden pests such as green, white and blackfly, in winter the queens hibernate and kill around 100 blow flies to keep them going through the winter months. There was a programme on Radio 4 a few months ago advising that we should not kill them, but leave them be. The only time they can be a real danger is to anyone who is seriously allergic to wasp venom, or if they nest in your roof or attic. You should then ring the local council to unfortunately dispose of them because the weight of the nest could cause the ceiling to collapse, with horrendous consequences!

I agree with you on every other point!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2012, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Ive a neighbour who has roosters that start crowing at 4.30am
Every day. I get 'sick' of them too as you aptly put it as do a lot of others nearby. Its relentless. Its no joke when youve to get up at 5.30am & drive an hour to work as many do round here. Its relentless 24 x 7. 365 days a year. Never any break. It goes on all day.

So yes it is inconvenient, tiresome, grating on nerves annoying because someone wants to keep roosters as pets. They make a heck of a lot more racket than those foxes day in day out

My point is sometimes you have to live & let live.
Id be straight round there and tell them to shut the thing up! No question. Its a noise nuisance and should be dealt with as such. its another perfect example of countryside type animals living in towns, you have demonstrated it perfectly.

However, if you choose to allow it to continue then of course thats entirely up to you.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2012, 11:49 AM
Foxes carry disease.

Wasps actually predate on flies, so by killing wasps, you are actually killing a predator you would otherwise rely on to kill a pest species you don't like, because it spreads disease. Given that foxes carry disease, in the same way that flies, and many other species do, does it not seem a tad hypocrtical to you, that it's ok to kill flies and wasps, but to kill foxes is deemed as unaccedptable.

I've not mentioned badgers or pheasants, so I'm not sure where your argument is coming from there?
They do indeed. Mange being one of the more serious ... leptospirosis is another danger. However, as far as I know, not many mangey or lepto foxes will come and jump on my plate of food like flies will. Flies are the biggest spreader of disease, and if you eat fly-blown meat or fish you will be extremely ill. mange whilst very unpleasant - I know, I've had it - will not kill you. Cats carry and have mange, so do many pet dogs, so it is not fair to pick on foxes for spreading mange. Lepto you would have a point with, but I do not have my dogs vaccinated every year, and our vet has said that their main risk is from lepto. However, in the 15 years we have dogs in our current house, where foxes come into our garden a lot as we are right on the edge of open fields, not once has any dog ever got sick, so the risk is very small, far far smaller than the risk of a blow fly contaminating my meat!

You are correct about wasps!!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2012, 11:53 AM
That's simply not true, I know gamekeepers who tolerate foxes on their land, as long as they don't start to predate on what is, an income.

Foxes have a place, that's not in question, what is in question is at what level that place is, in comparison to other species around them, and at what level the fluffy brigade interfere.
There you go again ... the ARROGANCE of human beings!! All Charlie is trying to do is to earn his living. So is the landowner with his pheasant shoots. Ipso facto, the landowner should fence in the young pheasants in large pens until they can fly well enough to get away from the fox ... as our local estate do. There is a huge copse which is surrounded by electrified fencing to a height of about 12 feet so Charlie cannot get in. The pheasants are raised safely in there until they are big enough to fly up into the trees at night to roost, when the fence is turned off. Simples!!

Just because I believe in the rights of wildlife does not make me a member of the fluffy brigade! I am anything but!! I know you are not accusing me per se, but by inference ... please stop!!
Page 10 of 31 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 > Last »