Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 07:46 PM

Fight over a ball

Today Yogi laid into Zak as they both went for the same ball on a rope. I have only seen Yogi fight "with intent" once before and it was a very similar scenario. Moss and he went for the same ball and Moss then growled at Yogi when he tried to pull it out of Moss' mouth and a fight ensued - totally provoked and prolonged by Yogi!

So, obviously the ball on a rope is an important toy to both the GSDs. Therefore, is the simple answer to always take two balls out so they can have one each? I usually do this, but we have recently lost a number of toys down rabbit holes, in fast-flowing burns and other very annoying places

Anyone had a similar scenario? Zak wasn't injured apart from a scratch under his eye, but he was obviously scared and I really don't want it happening again!
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

20-01-2012, 07:58 PM
Was it resource guarding or were there high spirits and Zak being put in his place by Yogi?
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 08:00 PM
I'd take two balls out Kirsty.

Mine don't fight over balls, but Jess will bark at Harley if he gets to it first to make him drop it, so I throw one for her, then throw his in the opposite direction.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 08:03 PM
I teach my dogs to take turns in ball chasing in order to avoid this scenario.

I teach my dogs to sit and throw the ball and then using their name, tell which one to fetch.

If either or both do not have good impulse control, use light leads with no loop in order to be able to restrain one like these:

http://www.k9gear.co.uk/acatalog/Anti_Slip_Lines.html

HTH
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
Was it resource guarding or were there high spirits and Zak being put in his place by Yogi?
Resource guarding most definitely! Yogi does try to bully Zak a little bit, and puts him in his place on occasion, but this was way OTT and quite scary to watch, although it only lasted seconds as I quickly intervened.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by jesterjenn View Post
I'd take two balls out Kirsty.

Mine don't fight over balls, but Jess will bark at Harley if he gets to it first to make him drop it, so I throw one for her, then throw his in the opposite direction.
Thanks Jen, I think I will do. Mine don't usually fight over balls (or anything else) either, so when it happened with Moss, and now with Zak, it came out of the blue.

Good idea about chucking the balls in opposite directions.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

20-01-2012, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Resource guarding most definitely! Yogi does try to bully Zak a little bit, and puts him in his place on occasion, but this was way OTT and quite scary to watch, although it only lasted seconds as I quickly intervened.
Oh dear, with Zak being adolescent it might not be their last spat. Good that they accepted your control.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

20-01-2012, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Thanks Jen, I think I will do. Mine don't usually fight over balls (or anything else) either, so when it happened with Moss, and now with Zak, it came out of the blue.

Good idea about chucking the balls in opposite directions.
And for the rivers, the Kong on a Rope floats, so might last longer!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I teach my dogs to take turns in ball chasing in order to avoid this scenario.

I teach my dogs to sit and throw the ball and then using their name, tell which one to fetch.

If either or both do not have good impulse control, use light leads with no loop in order to be able to restrain one like these:

http://www.k9gear.co.uk/acatalog/Anti_Slip_Lines.html

HTH
Ooh good idea SB. I will definitely train for this. Yogi will already wait while I throw the ball when is alone, but not sure he will be able to bear not to go after it when it is Zak's turn, so will pop them both on light leads. My Halti lead should be perfect, since Zak chewed it clean in half while I had him tied up whilst laying a track
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-01-2012, 08:19 PM
It may not be the toy as such, but YOU playing with the toy.

I've seen mine play tug with a dead rabbit they found, and the loser walked away quite happy.

I've seen Jake turn into a snarling beast if he thought I was giving Simon a bit of mouldy bread and he hadn't got any...

So, it may be YOU they both want IYSWIM, not the toy.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »