Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-07-2011, 03:47 PM

Raiding the bin

Following a discussion on another thread which I am fascinated by I now feel obliged to ask.......

Does your dog raid the bin?
If not how did you train it not to?
Or did it just never do it?
Do you have to barricade or remove the bin when you are in or out of the house?

Thank you for your time.
Denise Mcleod
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 03:57 PM
Mine have never done it. Moon was just naturally so incredibly good that he never did anything wrong Cain went through a destructive phase when we first got him, ripped up paper and bags etc, but it never occured to him to raid the bin (and he is a foody!), the treat cupboard would be very easy to open if he put his mind to it but he never has. He used to counter surf but we broke that but keeping the sides clear, I left a plate of sausages on the side by accident the other day and was amazed they were untouched when I got back!

I did used to live with a lab x rottie who belonged to my house mate who was terrible for bin raiding. She was on steroids and terribly hungry all of the time. We used to just shut the kitchen door. Then Moon came along and we wanted to leave the door open to give them more room so we started to shut the bin in the bathroom when we went out. Then a few times we forgot to shut the bathroom door and she never discovered the bin in there so problem solved!

If I had a bin raider I'd probably favour management (shut doors, lock the bin lid, outside bins) rather than training, it's just easier
dog_geek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Mine has never raided a bin. He showed a bit of interest once when my uncles boxer had his head in my grans bin but a firm ' aaahhhh out' stopped him and hasnt shown interest again. Doesnt scavenge at all, can even trust him not to eat off your plate if you leave it on the floor and leave the room for a while.

However, it seems he doesnt apply the same rule outside as my dad left a viennese whirl cake thing on the bench outside and when he came back it had gone. The dog was the only one outside, with cake crumbs round his face
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Max has never done it, not sure if he ever did, don't think his previous owners would have trained him not to as they couldn't train him to do anything so I'm guessing he just has never felt the inclination to.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 04:28 PM
Cava older boy doesn't never has. Zymi younger rescue did I tackled it by securing the door so he couldn't get at the bin. Have now removed lock and he hasn't so far think he may have got out of the habit.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 04:50 PM
Shadow raided the bin. Nothing we did stopped him so we simply used to put the bin in the downstairs toilet when we went out.

Wolf never raided the bin as far as we're aware. He MAY have done but if so Shadow always got the blame as he was known for doing it.

Rupert raided the bin (and counter surfed) when I first got him. The counter surfing stopped when he pulled a cupboard over on himself. I can't remember whether the bin raiding stopped then or later. He no longer does it no matter what's in the bin and can even be trusted left alone with a plate of food on the sofa.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by Lotsadogs View Post
Following a discussion on another thread which I am fascinated by I now feel obliged to ask.......

Does your dog raid the bin?
If not how did you train it not to?
Or did it just never do it?
Do you have to barricade or remove the bin when you are in or out of the house?

Thank you for your time.
Denise Mcleod
I do not have a bin and have not had one for several years because I do not like to keep rubbish in the house.

Weird I know.

I take everything outside to the dustbin as and when I make a mess.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 05:38 PM
Mine don't bother. Our bin lid is broken and needs replacing (but decent bins are so expensive! I live in a houseshare with my brother and his girlfriend so until everyone else stumps up money towards it, I'm not paying to replace it with my own money!) so we have to weigh the top down, if we forget and there's a food wrapper right on top (brother and his girlfriend seem incapable of changing the bin bag too, so it often gets overfilled) they may grab it but they don't go out of their way to raid it. If they did then I'd probably just move the bin out of reach when they're left.
With the recycling scheme, any leftover food goes in the plastic tub on the kitchen side anyway. The dogs probably could reach it if they wanted but they've never bothered.
Their one weakness is the fat tray for the George Foreman grill - we have to make sure we empty it and wash it up straight away or they'll grab it at the nearest possible opportunity to lick it clean of fat - yuck!! If it wasn't so unhealthy I'd be tempted to bottle it to market as the ultimate reward for recall
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-07-2011, 05:40 PM
Mine have never had the opportunity to raid the bin, it's a pull out one inside a cupboard in the lobby between the kitchen and utility room, but generally they don't nick stuff they shouldn't.
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 05:53 PM
Yes I have 2 kitchen bin raiders aka Khal & Sasi...I threw the kitchen bin away as when i went out I used to put it outside the back door, come in, let the dogs out & forget it was there

I now have a proper black dustbin with 'clippy over the lid handles that lives outside the back door, when it gets full the contents get moved to the wheelie bin at top of garden, problem solved
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »