Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2005, 07:34 AM

Before or after?

Is it better to walk a dog before or after a meal?

When do you walk yours?

I always thought I should walk Archie before dinner so he can work up an appetite and also empty out before his meal, but I'm not too sure about this
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2005, 07:37 AM
It depends what time we walk!
If we walk in the morning or evening, we walk 1 1/2 -2 hours after breakfast.
If we walk in the afternoon, then it's ages before tea!
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2005, 07:41 AM
Forgot to say why I'm asking: yesterday Archie had a short walk and a VERY hyper moment on his own, tearing around the garden before his dinner. Then he literally INHALED his dinner and puked it back up 2 minutes later!! While cleaning up I also discovered that he doesn't even bother to chew his kibble

I thought it might be cos of the exercise, but this morning I found a tiny little piece of one of his toys in his poo... toy's gone in the bin now
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2005, 07:45 AM
I've always been told to wait to walk a dog if it's been fed(1-2 hours (depends who you talk to), and also to wait to feed a dog after it's been walked.
Not sure if thats just for the large breeds though
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-04-2005, 08:01 AM
Hi Tuti I agree with Hevvur, although a dog needs to go out to 'be clean' soon after a meal, I don't like to go for a proper walk or to play lots with the dog for 1-2 hours after a meal, although of course again it depends on the length/type of excercises and your circumstances like going to work etc. If you think about it..imagine you have just eaten a large meal and I say come on Tuti lets go for a run I guess it might be a no
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

12-04-2005, 08:06 AM
It really does not matter whether you exercise your dog before or after a meal. What IS important is that you leave at least an hour prior to & after a meal before exercise. The big, deep-chested breeds are more suscepible to bloat - but I would not be taking any chances. Remember also that drinking a lot of water prior to, & after, exercise can have the same devastating effect. Also, as you have found, excitement can cause vomiting and, sometimes, the runs.
SB
Carole
Supervisor

12-04-2005, 09:35 AM
I dont exercise Star for an hour before or after a meal There is not a lot I can do if she decides to tear around the house though but usually she lies down for a while after eating.
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2005, 09:37 AM
I always exercise before a meal, like everybody else leaving at least an hour.

Laura
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2005, 09:38 AM
Yeah you should not let your dog drink water immediatley after hard exercise, if you HAVE to give the dog a small drink make sure the water is tepid.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2005, 09:44 AM
I always feed after exercise and even then I wait until Ozzy isn't panting anymore and has had a bit of a rest. This is to ensure he doesn't bolt the food then drink lots of water as I am paranoid about him getting bloat.

I wouldn't feed him first as I understand there is more risk of bloat happening if you exercise after a meal. Just to be on the safe side I feed after exercise.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >