Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2006, 02:47 PM

Breeding and hipscores...

I have been surfing the net and have been coming across lots of dogs up for stud and their hipscores are worse than the average for the breed, some only one or two points and some quite worrying. One I did see was a breeder for their breed club and the hipscore of the dog was worse than average

I guess I really do not know that much about hipscores but I assumed that breeding should only be done from dogs whos hipscore is better than average. Else they are not really bettering the breed like so many breeders claim to do?

What are your opinions on breeding from dogs whos hipscore is worse than average?
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-11-2006, 07:48 PM
Ideally, for breeding, hip scores should be less than breed mean. Also it's good if both hips are roughly even in there individual score. If a dog has a high score on one side and a low acore on the other, sometimes this can be attributed to an injury.

Of course only using low scoring dogs and bitches doesn't guarantee that all pups will have good hips with low scores.Simply by breeding this way the breeder has done everything they could to try to ensure the pups have healthy hips.

So that being the case, breeders that knowingly use high scoring dogs and bitches, and equally, breeders that breed without scoring are guilty of negligence of the puppies. In my opinion buyers could easily sue for neglect of duty of care.

Dawn R.
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-11-2006, 08:25 PM
I agree with what Dawn as said but would like to add the vet who does the x-rays for me recomends that a dog is not used unless less than 10 and a bitch no more than15, my breeds mean average is 19.
Pam
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2006, 08:25 PM
That's a difficult one Zuba, you will find varying opinions. The BVA does advise only breeding from below average scores but in practice this isn't always followed and a lot will depend on the hip status of the breed in question.

In breeds with a low mean score, that have other hereditary conditions to consider, it may not be in the best interests of the breed to cull such a large proportion from the gene pool. This could see an increase in the incidence of the other, possible more serious conditions in the breed.

Remember hip dysplasia is only ~40% inherited so dogs that could be potential improvers of health could be discarded if this rule was followed to the letter. The usual advice for a dog of good quality that is over average score, is to breed only to low scoring mates.
pmknco
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-11-2006, 07:32 PM
Good hip scores do not always produce good hip scores. I have a dog here with an 18-21 hip score. He comes from at least 10 generations where the highest hip score is 5-7 (12). He was properly raised with no over excercising and a good diet.

It suprised me that I still get stud enquiries for him however he will never be used, infact the only reason he is entire is because I show him. He has a JW and 3RCC's in the UK and is a German champion.

Dita
www.tamarsh.com
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-11-2006, 08:25 PM
agree with pod and pmknoc its not always that clear cut.
pmknco
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-11-2006, 08:49 PM
It should also be remember that any breed average is only the average of the dogs scored in that breed. Only a small percentage of any breed is hip scored and often dogs with obviously poor hips to not have their xray's sent for scoring.

Dita
leospride
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-11-2006, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by Nursey View Post
Ideally, for breeding, hip scores should be less than breed mean. Also it's good if both hips are roughly even in there individual score. If a dog has a high score on one side and a low acore on the other, sometimes this can be attributed to an injury.

True, but unless you inquired to the breeder re the high score on one side, you wouldn't know. I'd prefer to use a low scoring or even scored dog

Of course only using low scoring dogs and bitches doesn't guarantee that all pups will have good hips with low scores.Simply by breeding this way the breeder has done everything they could to try to ensure the pups have healthy hips.

True again

So that being the case, breeders that knowingly use high scoring dogs and bitches, and equally, breeders that breed without scoring are guilty of negligence of the puppies. In my opinion buyers could easily sue for neglect of duty of care.

Dawn R.
Agree with you Dawn on that one too

And I also agree that good hip scores don't always produce good scores, but would still rather use a lower score And of course other factors must be taken into consideration like temperament, HC, LP/NP etc in our breed
staffer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-12-2006, 12:09 AM
Originally Posted by Zuba View Post
I have been surfing the net and have been coming across lots of dogs up for stud and their hipscores are worse than the average for the breed, some only one or two points and some quite worrying. One I did see was a breeder for their breed club and the hipscore of the dog was worse than average

I guess I really do not know that much about hipscores but I assumed that breeding should only be done from dogs whos hipscore is better than average. Else they are not really bettering the breed like so many breeders claim to do?

What are your opinions on breeding from dogs whos hipscore is worse than average?
very good point i have seen this too often as well and it makes me think the ppl are quick to put the blame on bad breeders but the so called respctable breeders are no differant they breed dogs with very bad hipscore there excuse well if you but it to a bitch with a low hip score it will even it out
till the kc puts it foot down and only reg puppies from perants with low hip score and low health problams
it will never stop
if the kc did this it will mean all puppy farmers and back yard breeders bad breeders and good breeders and respectable breeder will have to do all the checks they will not have a choice and then we can start to improve the breeds jimo
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2006, 10:45 AM
In my breed (mini poodles) the breed average is 16 however, only 21 dogs have been scored!
Becky
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >