Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2006, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by sweetveronica
Ok, I hate to bring the downers to this thread, but I have to tell you about what I'm going through at the mo. I have two dalmatians, one 10 yr old (Tara) and one 10 week old (Blue). Ok..... Blue is a lovely lovely puppy, very cheeky, but very very good! Tara is a lovely dog, an absolute angel.....so I didn't think I'd have any probs with introducing a new pup, but I was wrong. Tara hates Blue, she hasn't hurt her, and I can leave them together, but if Blue gets too close for comfort then Tara barks and growls. She's not impressed by Blue at all! But, she's a lot better two weeks down the line than she was initially.

I'm not saying, don't get another pup, as I love it, I really really really love it!!!! But just think carefully about whether your dog is good with other dogs or not, if Zuki is, then you shouldn't have any problems at all, although I do find that if I stroke or fuss Blue then I have to fuss Tara straight away.....and respecting the hiarachy that they set out has helped a lot!!!

Sorry if that doesn't help at all! Just thought I'd give an opinion!

Lorna.
I'm having the same problem at the mo, Woody (11yr old Lab) is normally very good with dogs and has been used to pups coming to the house for years and got on very well with them. However Isla (8 week old Springer) is not welcome it would seem and he's been getting a bit shirty with her. I do think though that introducing a pup to a 16 month old dog will be a lot easier than to elderly dogs like ours. Older dogs find it harder to adjust I think.

[Flickitysplit=QUOTE]I'm new to this so apologies if I'm supposed to start a new thread (also please let me know) but you've got me thinking... Jake is a rescue dog and we've had him since November always with the intention of getting a second for company(I totally agree with all the thoughts re company etc) - does anybody have experience of adding a second rescue dog to the first? I can't have a puppy as I'm at work in the day.[/QUOTE]
I've got two rescues and I would recommend going to a well known rescue centre like Dogstrust as they'll give you a lot of advice on the best type of dog to get temperament and age wise.
We got Woody at the age of 4 when Pickles was 8 and they've got on fine from day one, but that's mainly because Woody is a very laid back dog. Which is perfect for Pickles as he's not all that keen on four legged creatures.
Flickitysplit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-07-2006, 07:25 PM
Thank you for that Rip.. nice to hear it's worked out for you and yours!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2