View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2016, 12:01 AM
It's so easy to sit safely behind a computer and be an armchair expert on these things.

I'm pretty sure that opinions would be a lot different if we were on the spot and could actually see a small child being dragged around that enclosure.

Don't forget, the child had just fallen 15 or so feet into that 'moat'. No one could tell the extent of any injuries he may have already sustained before the gorilla pulled him through the water.

However that youngster got himself into that situation, he was in it and at great risk.

God forbid, if I'd been in the situation of having to safely extract that youngster, I wouldn't be sitting around making detailed observations of the gorilla's intent, I'd want that little lad out as quickly and safely (for him) as possible
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2016, 08:22 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Rams (tups) are extremely dangerous potentially:-

"Rams (male sheep) can be very dangerous animals if you find yourself alone with one and he decides to charge you. An angry ram must be taken seriously––his horns, strength and mass can severely injure you or even cause death.

If a ram is likely to charge you or is actually charging you, there are some simple precautions and steps to follow; just be aware that this is about reacting should you be unlucky enough to find yourself in this situation and you should '''never''' provoke a ram or place yourself in a situation where a ram could harm you."
My husband is a shepherd and has worked with sheep all his life. He has had the odd bash by a tup and I think he would testify that it does hurt but I think the likelihood of severe injury and death is absolutely minuscule!

And he deals with heads and horns like this every day
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	tups1.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	5059  
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-06-2016, 08:23 AM
I've spent all morning trying to find out how many people have been killed by gorillas ... Wild or in zoos ... And can find nothing specific. My conclusion is that the male silverbacks are very dangerous if challenged or threatened by adult humans but children they are gentle and non-aggressive. Even when fighting amongst themselves they rarely hurt each other ... They box in a controlled way. However the male silverbacks have been known to kill the young of rival silverbacks. The females do not appear to be violent at all.

I am even more convinced that this young boy was in no danger.
Where on earth did you get that bit of information from, I think you may have been reading to many Disney stories

IF the experts are worried then that`s enough for me, how you can say it would not hurt a child is beyond me to be honest,

But if its enough for you then so be it !!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

03-06-2016, 08:26 AM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post

God forbid, if I'd been in the situation of having to safely extract that youngster, I wouldn't be sitting around making detailed observations of the gorilla's intent, I'd want that little lad out as quickly and safely (for him) as possible
Completely agree, its so easy to be an armchair expert is`nt it
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2016, 08:28 AM
But my point is that the child was not left to die - he was absolutely not in any danger of serious harm, in my opinion. Now, if the child had fallen into an enclosure containing chimps that would be a completely different story. They are potentially far more dangerous than gorillas. But he did not, he was in an enclosure of gorillas and in my opinion at little risk at all of serious harm.

And the pertinent terms here are "in my opinion". I am presuming you are not a gorilla or ape expert? You have never worked closely with gorillas or studied their behaviour?

If you read the link I posted earlier (from a gorilla expert), she says the zoo did absolutely the right thing and had no choice but to shoot Harambe (tragic as that is).
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2016, 08:36 AM
Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
Where on earth did you get that bit of information from, I think you may have been reading to many Disney stories

IF the experts are worried then that`s enough for me, how you can say it would not hurt a child is beyond me to be honest,

But if its enough for you then so be it !!
No, not Disney, Diane Fossey, David Attenborough to name just two.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2016, 08:38 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
And the pertinent terms here are "in my opinion". I am presuming you are not a gorilla or ape expert? You have never worked closely with gorillas or studied their behaviour?

If you read the link I posted earlier (from a gorilla expert), she says the zoo did absolutely the right thing and had no choice but to shoot Harambe (tragic as that is).
Just one expert's opinion ... there are plenty others to say differently.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2016, 08:41 AM
Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
Completely agree, its so easy to be an armchair expert is`nt it
Yes Jackie it is. T'internet is a wonderful thing! I think you will find in my posts I have frequently said the words "in my opinion" and "I'm not a gorilla expert". However, I do have a brain, I can read, I can read both sides and form my own opinion - it is just that, my own opinion, not an expert's opinion, not a professor's opinion, not an idiot's opinion, just an ordinary basic Joe of reasonable intelligence with a mind of her own.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2016, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
My husband is a shepherd and has worked with sheep all his life. He has had the odd bash by a tup and I think he would testify that it does hurt but I think the likelihood of severe injury and death is absolutely minuscule!

And he deals with heads and horns like this every day
h

Love the photo Moobli! Your hubby's a brave man! Point taken, but others have had different experiences, hence the pasted article.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

03-06-2016, 08:47 AM
No, not Disney, Diane Fossey, David Attenborough to name just two.
Did they pot children in with wild gorillas then ?

Has David Attenborough come out to back up your opinion then ?
Page 7 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >