Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 09:20 AM

Balls

Daisy is ball-obsessed. Deliberately so - I use it to reward / train/ distract.
My friend has 2 ball-obsessed Jack Russels.
We tried walking them together and at first used no balls - which worked fairly well till they cottoned on and used sticks instead.
Any tips? We want to avoid possible conflict.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 09:59 AM
Would getting them to carry a ball each be a possible solution?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Daisy is ball-obsessed. Deliberately so - I use it to reward / train/ distract.
My friend has 2 ball-obsessed Jack Russels.
We tried walking them together and at first used no balls - which worked fairly well till they cottoned on and used sticks instead.
Any tips? We want to avoid possible conflict.
Well I share your pain...........

If my friends and I are walking together with a bunch of dogs no balls are allowed UNLESS they just carry them.

NO throwing is done at all, so those who are happy to carry balls carry them, those that are not that obsessed do not.

The only time we throw stuff is when we are at the lakes, but then we try to give each other sufficient space so the dogs (by dogs I mean ahem mine ) does not nick it all and bring it all back at once.

The other thing is none of us allows our dogs to select things they find and carry them, a) for safety and b) because we only want this behaviour on cue.

Not sure if that helps any.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-07-2011, 12:18 PM
I have different balls for different dogs. The dobies have big orange balls on ropes, Diesel has a yellow one and won't chase the orange ones. The terrier and semi resident pug have soft latex squeaky balls.
I just taught them wait when I threw the ball and released them by name to chase after it until it became second nature. Now if i'm holding several balls they only acknowledge their own.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 04:27 PM
Daisy is of the opinion that `if it is near me it`s mine/ if it within reach it`s mine / if it`s not actually in that dogs mouth it`s mine / if I can fit it in my mouth with mine it`s mine`.
The stick thing is them winding up the owners to give them the balls instead.
sigh.
We`ll see how we go.....
we are thinking of taking them training together so that will help.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Daisy is of the opinion that `if it is near me it`s mine/ if it within reach it`s mine / if it`s not actually in that dogs mouth it`s mine / if I can fit it in my mouth with mine it`s mine`.
The stick thing is them winding up the owners to give them the balls instead.
sigh.
We`ll see how we go.....
we are thinking of taking them training together so that will help.
ahh yup my friends dog is like that - one day she managed o get 4 balls in her mouth at once

Thankfully my two only bother with balls if there are no other dogs around, it is difficult to avoid conflict, with my friends dog she only gets balls when the other dogs are not bothered with balls, otherwise she is onlead around dogs with balls