Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
fluffybunnyfeet
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-07-2008, 12:52 PM

Agility jump heights

Just putting the finishing touches to the OH new agility jumps complete with new poles (only another 10 or so bases to screw on *sigh*). She suggested that we refitted the old jumps with new cups to the new(er) regulation height so she has two complete sets.

Standing the old jumps against the new comes as quite a surprise and probably explains much of the failure to perform particularly well in the jumping when competing against faster Collies.

Heres a picture of one of the new finished jumps (Don't they look spinky?)

and again with an old height jump behind

Quite a difference really, and I know why the maximum jump height was lowered, but cannot help thinking that the range of dog sizes required to jump at the highest level is a bit broad, suppose its there for the most popular breed and you cannot have too many class sizes as it would take forever to run them all.

There are of course winners and losers with the dog v height regulations, with some smaller dogs just fitting into the upper height and being disadvantaged, and taller dogs that could jump higher, but tend to be slower having more bulk to control, whilst the mid range sizes can cope with the lower jump easily and jump 'flatter' and faster.

Dunno which was best really, the old system or the new, do you prefer the new heights or rue the day when the old higher jump was scuppered?

Also if anyone knows where I can get some decent jump pole cups at reasonable cost, I would be extremely grateful
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2008, 01:12 AM
The new heights were much needed as far as I`m concerned, they have made a huge difference to many dogs including enabling many older dogs to be able to compete at full height a lot longer, [ therefore keep their fitness levels higher for much longer ], as it`s much more comfortable for them.
The heights are to bring things more in line with FCI, it`s not to do with benefiting any one breed but it has benefited many of the larger breeds, [ about time too ! ] and the only-just-into-Large dogs.
Hopefully the proposal will go through to add a fourth height as the ratio`s are still dire but were at least improved a bit for a large number of various breed dogs with the the current lower heights

Pole cups unfortunately are a ridiculous price everywhere so I had mine made from wood [ a gentle V cut so the poles can dislodge easily and they don`t stick out as much as a plastic cup ], but my jumps are being added to in order to create 5 heights so shallower wood pole supports are being made hopefully at the weekend - if it`s any help, when they are here I`ll take a piccy for you with the dimensions so your OH can cut some for you

Can`t tell on the pics but if you are using plastic poles, if you have`nt already done so, might I humbly suggest you fill them with sand as plastic poles can easily `whip` and flex so are best with some weight in them so that they will drop quickly and cleanly and without bouncing under flying doglets
[ if you already have done that, just ignore me but hopefully it might be useful for others to know if they are making any home training kit and are`nt aware of how much un-weighted plastic poles can whip about ]
fluffybunnyfeet
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-07-2008, 08:25 PM
Had not heard about the possible 4th pole position, could that mean some split in the large dog group, or just into large dogs having yet another under subscribed class at some events?

Btw the cups are wood, made from a drilled out batten which is cut in half to make two cups with a 32mm pole socket. Currently the poles are not weighted but was considering something other than sand such as mica beads, haven't got the end plugs yet!

Tbh, the Dobes can clear the jump heights so easily its laughable so knocking poles off is rare, but I do know what you mean and have seen dogs come a right cropper with 'pushy' owners making risky turns such as in 'take your own line'.

They will be lightly weighted as other breeds will be using them soon enough.

Btw can the 4th jump height be about 700mm Like to see the Collies try and compete against the true large dog breeds then
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2008, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by fluffybunnyfeet View Post
Had not heard about the possible 4th pole position, could that mean some split in the large dog group, or just into large dogs having yet another under subscribed class at some events?
It would mean a split among Large, and as Large classes are sooo huge it would mean a more even playing field on the whole and might well benefit the sometimes slower /sometimes heavier very Large dogs as they would`nt have to compete against so many of the smaller really zippy types which just measure into current Large

Btw the cups are wood, made from a drilled out batten which is cut in half to make two cups with a 32mm pole socket. Currently the poles are not weighted but was considering something other than sand such as mica beads, haven't got the end plugs yet!
There`s always good old bodge tape

Tbh, the Dobes can clear the jump heights so easily its laughable so knocking poles off is rare, but I do know what you mean and have seen dogs come a right cropper with 'pushy' owners making risky turns such as in 'take your own line'.
Aye, but you never know when any dog might take a miss-stride no matter how usually sure footed they are, always better safe than sorry

They will be lightly weighted as other breeds will be using them soon enough.
Great example for anyone making their own kit who reads the thread, I`m glad it`s been covered as it`s such an important yet not always realised aspect

Btw can the 4th jump height be about 700mm Like to see the Collies try and compete against the true large dog breeds then

Is that with or without them needing a ramp though it`s a lot harder for a Dane or St Bernard to jump high than a pesky collie no matter how tall the collie light be
But for dogs like my Lurcher, a height like that would be a breeze, he say bring it on