Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2012, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Thanks guys - some interesting replies. I took them once - they made my symptoms worse.

The problem with PPIs is they stop/slow the production of acid - which then allows bad bacteria (like Candida/h.pylori) to proliferate (which then causes other problems, like IBS - and also spreads to other organs like the gall-bladder etc). Many doctors now think you actually need the opposite - more acid by eating a vegetable rich diet perhaps with some mineral rich pink salt (at least in the case of Ulcers) or even taking some beta hydrochloride (obviously with caution).

The first thing I'd suggest is a test for H.Pylori - it is said to infect over 50% of us, and is the likely cause for ulcers.
Can I just advise caution when giving medical or drug advice when your not a trained medical practitioner.

I've nursed thousands of people on PPI's who have suffered no ill effects, of course there will always be a percentage of people where this isn't the case, but I think it's better to take advice from your Doctor than any studies/opinions that may not be correctly critically anslysed.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2012, 05:47 AM
I have a hiatus hernia and have been on Omeprazole for a good while now.

It suits me perfectly

Azz
Administrator
Male 

02-04-2012, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Can I just advise caution when giving medical or drug advice when your not a trained medical practitioner.

I've nursed thousands of people on PPI's who have suffered no ill effects, of course there will always be a percentage of people where this isn't the case, but I think it's better to take advice from your Doctor than any studies/opinions that may not be correctly critically anslysed.
What 'advice' did I give apart from my last sentence?

The first thing I'd suggest is a test for H.Pylori - it is said to infect over 50% of us, and is the likely cause for ulcers.
kobi
Dogsey Senior
Male 

02-04-2012, 07:25 PM
Used to take loads of Rennies etc.for heartburn.
And sometimes ridiculous full feeling after only a couple of pints.
Was sick one morning and old blood was present(coffe grounds)
finally went for a Gastroctomy ( camera down)
Found a sliding hernia.
Given Lanzasoprole and been fine since.
Camera check up every 2 years and diagnosed as having Barretts Syndrome.
Could be totally harmless could lead to Cancer of the gullet.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2012, 08:26 PM
Just seen this and thought i'd reply

I was given Lanzaprazole. It was after i'd been eventually diagnosed with GORD although I'd had a low grade chronic stomachpain for about 3 years, mostly in the afternoons and evenings. It was making me pretty crotchety.

The PPI made me feel as if I'd eaten a huge 10 course meal - it was just awful

I felt so full but I had only eaten a normal meal.

Long story short, I could not live like that and put myself on an exclusion diet (via a book from the health shop). Found out the problems were barleycup, chocolate and coffee so I now have those very sparingly and no longer have the stomach pains.

Three years of pain that it took a simple exclusion diet to sort out. A diet that took only 3 weeks to prepare for and gradual reintroduction of foods took a few more weeks.

Wys
x
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

11-04-2012, 08:58 PM
these drugs are commonly prescribed for one of two reasons (in the main)

one os for the side effect of other medicines on the stomach

and also for gastric reflux issues. the health service could save a fortune by getting to the root cause which is normally diet, rather than prescribing meds
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2