Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2010, 11:26 AM

Strange Foot Pain...

I have some really odd foot thing going on, thought i'd see if anyone else has had it before worrying too much though

So.. Went to London on Saturday to see Dirty Dancing (fantastic show, everyone go and see it!!). It was a very long day, we got there at 8am and didnt get home til 11pm and did a lot of walking, but i wasnt really tired and my feet didnt hurt til the walk back to the coach station

Anyway, noticed about halfway through the (2hour ish) journey home that the arch bit of my foot was aching, just assumed it was getting stiff from doing a lot of walking, then being in the same position for a long time so thought nothing of it. Then, after we got off the bus, the 20 min walk to the car was really painful Felt like i had something hard like a big stone in my foot! Again, put it down to normal achy feet. Got home and pretty much fell into bed!

Then yesterday morning my foot was really uncomfortable on the arch bit on the left hand side (on my right foot) and also on the outside about 2 inches down from my little toe. I also noticed something interested when checking to make sure i hadnt cut my foot or anything... There are two purple dots in those places They look to be ON the blue veins which is maybe a little concerning? Had a show yesterday though so just got sorted and off we went.

It is a little better today but still very achy. Its not bad when im sitting but as soon as i get up and walk around it starts again, on both parts of my foot now though The other foot is fine, no problem at all.

Anyone had this before or got any idea? I dont really want to go to the doctor as i have a real foot phobia (sounds stupid i know ) and just cannot have anyone touching my feet at all. But if it might be something serious i will have to make myself go i guess
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2010, 11:43 AM
You are describing something similar to what I have. Mine is sore all the time now. I wonder if the arch has dropped and the foot is now flat? I hurt mine over a year ago when I first started to get trouble with my left knee, heel was agony to put to the ground esecially after rest. Now over a year later it has more or less settled down only to be replaced with this very sore mid foot. I have a great time in bed at night with a painful knee and a painful foot on the other side. See quote below and see if it compares to how your feel - you need to see a Podiatrist.

Dropped Arch
By Ben Benjamin, PhD

Question: What causes the arch of the foot to drop in a pronated position?

Answer: Laxity in the four medial ankle ligaments.

Excess pronation is caused by laxity in the four medial ankle ligaments, called the deltoid ligaments, which hold the bones of the ankle in place.

These ligaments might be congenitally too long, or they might have been stretched through injury or through poor alignment over time. When the arch of the foot is dropped in a pronated position, the deltoid ligaments continually are stretched and often become strained. In addition, the feet rotate outward to compensate, and the knees generally turn inward.
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2010, 11:45 AM
Hmmm... I dont think its that, the arch still seems to be arched Also, the pain is very specific, just those two place. The heel doesnt hurt at all.

It also came on over the space of an hour or so. I get the impression that the dropped arch is something that develops over some time?
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-09-2010, 03:47 PM
I am a Podiatrist. It's really hard to say without seeing you and doing an assessment but you could try getting a pair of supportive orthotics (Vasyli Orthaheels are good) before you confront your foot fear. If they don't help then the best thing to do it to go to a Podiatrist . Doctors don't know as much about feet specifically
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2010, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
Hmmm... I dont think its that, the arch still seems to be arched Also, the pain is very specific, just those two place. The heel doesnt hurt at all.

It also came on over the space of an hour or so. I get the impression that the dropped arch is something that develops over some time?
Mine didn't - it developed from the other problem (plantar fasciitis & small spur) latter eased to be replaced by this other problem. I've found some relief with a good supportive pair of trainers. One of these days I will get round to visiting a Podiatrist!
Aligord
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-09-2010, 08:59 PM
I was going to suggest Plantar Fasciitis. One way of relieving this, as suggested by a Podiatrist, is to roll your foot over a can of beans (or some other canned product) as it stretches the ligaments etc out again.

It may just be that the ligaments are a bit strained and sore and those two purple things could be small bruises (given that bruises are essentially blood being near veins may not be unlikely) and they will recover over time. I would try the stretching and see if that helps - it really helps me, especially if I have been sitting down for a long time.

Ali xx