Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ami_j
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-08-2011, 08:38 PM

Dogs on a train

I'm thinking about going away with Dexter, I would be getting a lift there but having to get a train back. Does anyone travel on trains with their dog much? the trip back would be about an hour and a half. Hes been on bus rides and been fine and long car journeys although he was sick (i had not long since fed him foolishly- wont be doing that this time)

On the national rail website it says you can travel with a dog on a lead , just wondered about peoples experiences
Parkers
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-08-2011, 09:29 PM
My dogs LOVES it. It is how I go to the local beach.

As long as you don't let them on the seats and out of people's way, it should be a pleasant journey.

My dogs goes to sleep for the whole trip (1 hour and 15 minutes)
Lynne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2011, 09:39 PM
I quite often go on the train with mine. He loves it - much prefers it to the bus (the airbrakes spook him) He just settles down & has a nap usually.
ami_j
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-08-2011, 09:43 PM
brilliant will be coming home in the afternoon so hopefully not too full. And you just get on the train with the dog you dont need to ask or anything?
Lynne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2011, 09:46 PM
I've never asked & no body has ever said anything. Some of the guards have give him a bit of a fuss as well. So have the passengers
ami_j
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-08-2011, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by Taffsmum View Post
I've never asked & no body has ever said anything. Some of the guards have give him a bit of a fuss as well. So have the passengers
Oh good
i used to bring small animals on the train back from my exes and never had a problem (though reading the rules i had more than i should of done oops )
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 06:39 AM
I've been on countless journeys on the train with my Greyhound. I think it can depend on how big your dog is. Axel is quite long and finds it hard to move around, once he's lying down he's happy enough, but when people get on and off they have to step over him. He can't always get under the tables. Overall though it's a good journey, and he's happy enough. I've never had any trouble getting on the train with him. Just make sure they've toiletted before you get on!
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 07:07 AM
Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
I've been on countless journeys on the train with my Greyhound. I think it can depend on how big your dog is. Axel is quite long and finds it hard to move around, once he's lying down he's happy enough, but when people get on and off they have to step over him. He can't always get under the tables. Overall though it's a good journey, and he's happy enough. I've never had any trouble getting on the train with him. Just make sure they've toiletted before you get on!
Just had a vision of you wobbling around on the train while trying to hold a greyhound over the toilet!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 08:29 AM
We go on trains most days. If it`s a long journey, have a chat to the Guard first as he will know the best place to sit with a dog. (Some spaces are bigger to accomodate wheelchairs or prams).

this is not allowed btw

but this is
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 03:24 PM
Rupe likes to go on the train. I've always grabbed one of the front seats in a carriage or sat near the toilet on one of those pull down seats they have. Rupe's out of the way then. Try to avoid the busiest times too, a dog on a crowded train isn't much fun.

I've had problems getting off the platform though. Several times I've been told I have to carry my dog through the ticket barrier because they're not allowed to open the gate for us. Each time this has happened to me I've caused a big enough fuss to get somebody higher up come and see what's going on, each time they've opened the gate and said that's what should have been done in the first place. Wouldn't be an issue if I had a small dog but I don't.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >