Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2011, 11:26 PM
Originally Posted by Damorin View Post
It wouldn't do Bailey any harm, but the chances of it having any real effect are negligible. Homeopathic doctors pretty much refuse to allow their medicines to be tested properly and rely largely on placebo effect to make up for the fact that they are giving out nothing but water.

Really?

Speaking strictly about homeopathic medicine (It is important that the distinction is made, as has been said before, a lot of things are lumped with homeopathy which really shouldn't be) it is quite alarming when you look into the actual process of its creation, the very fact that these products are not addictive and has no side effects should really call into question its efficacy at all.

So are you saying that if a product is not addictive and has no side effects it cannot be efficacious?

I did a lot of research into homeopathy as a possible solution to some issues I was personally going through, and I was just pretty shocked to discover that what they essentially give you is water, overpriced water, the process is utter nonsense and the principles of "Like for like" are no better. I ended up choosing not to use homeopathy, unfortunately the information it puts up is not always so honest.

An uncle of mine was told by a homeopathic "doctor" that by taking their medicines he would gain complete pain relief from his arthritis, at the time it was a small issue that didn't impact him much and he decided to go for it. The problem with this is that the medicines do absolutely nothing, and now my Uncle cannot walk without aid and is in agony pretty much every day of his life.
If the medicines did nothing, they are thus not the CAUSE of your uncles inability to walk without aid are they?

There is no cure for arthritis, and even many prescription medicines do not remove pain or enable the sufferers to wak without aid do they?
Damorin
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-08-2011, 11:54 PM
No, they weren't the cause, it was the homeopath's insistence that these medicines "would" provide all these things that was the cause. The homeopath actually said "If we had caught this earlier, we could have cured your arthritis", that should reasonably be assumed to be nonsense, but when heard by a weak, vulnerable old man, its false hope that he happily paid for, and paid through the nose for I should add.
I should also add, that while I accept that conventional medicine may never have helped my uncle, we will never now know. What I do know is that now he has been seeking their help he has been getting pain relief and equipment to assist him, none of this he got from homeopaths.

And yes I do think that if something has no side effects then its either lies or ineffective. The body is a very complex machine, as is life, it is extremely difficult to introduce an outside agent that will have only one effect on the body, another example is that homeopathic medicines are not regulated or tested in the same way as conventional medicine, why? because there's no need to, it has no physical effect on the body, so why should it be tested?

Further, looking at the actual processes of homeopathic medicines, its hard to see how they could possibly have an effect. The idea of "Like cures like" is the idea that whatever causes an effect on a healthy person, will have the opposite effect on an unwell person. For example, in homeopathic terms, the cure for insomnia is Caffeine to help you sleep, because Caffeine keeps a healthy person awake, it will help someone who is "too awake" to sleep. Please explain where the logic is in that? Thankfully, not even the homeopaths subscribe to this notion, because they have another principle, and that is that the more diluted something is the "stronger" it becomes, or what they term as "Potentization".
Following this principle, is the process of making up a homeopathic medicine, which is usually measured in their own way with the "C Scale" as its called. This is the strength of dilution that has been applied to a formula, so for example, Oscillococcinum which is a homeopathic remedy is made to 400C.
In order to achieve 1C, a single active drop of the "Like for Like" ingredient is added to 100 parts water, it is then shaken up for a bit, then a single drop of that is put into another 100 parts of water. You now have 1C on the homeopathic scale, no further active ingredient is added to the mix however you still have to do that 400 times before you have the approved homeopathic medicine.

That is quite a hard thing to visualize, so another fairly popular, but accurate interpretation of that is an analogy as follows:

"As there are only about 10^80 atoms in the entire observable universe, a dilution of one molecule in the observable universe would be about 40C. Oscillococcinum would thus require 10^320 more universes to simply have one molecule in the final substance."

The chance that in any homeopathic medicine, that there is anything except water or substrate is utterly unfathomable. Water allegedly having a "memory" of the things it comes into contact with is equally nonsensical, since you would have an entire library of homeopathic medicines in your tap.

I am very sorry for going off about this btw, it is a subject that I have looked into greatly and whenever I see it, it always gets my attention, if I have derailed things a bit then please accept my apologies.
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-08-2011, 11:54 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I don't think the majority of people use homeopathy to treat "life threatening injuries and illnesses" any more than the majority of people fail to request ANY medical intervention at all!

Also I find the statement that homeopathic treatments can be fatal if they are also harmless "memory of water" homeopathy, with no molecule of active ingredient present and so no side effects a little odd?

If something has no active ingredients, is harmless and has no side effects, how can it be fatal?
Unfortunately some do use homeopathy to treat life threatening situations, not least as without qualified medical assessment the seriousness of the situation may not be recognised. I have known people try to treat cancer with homeopathy.

However part of my point was that doing nothing, i.e. avoiding any treatments, can be a higher risk than the x% chance of having a bad reaction.

Some herbal remedies can work in some situations but the strength and so the consistency isn't controlled to the level of licensed pharmaceuticals. E.g. herbs grown in different areas, in different soils will contain different ingredients, and the weather conditions during growth can also affect the end product as can use or absence of fertilisers.

That aside, serious side effects can arise by combining self-treatment active-ingredient forms of homeopathy with conventional treatment, particularly if the vet/doctor has not been informed.

As in my post you quoted (#4), I specifically referred to "misused" remedies and I did point out previously (below) the wide range of treatments lumped together as "Homeopathy", from "harmless memory of water" (where the only risk would be from failure to treat), to other homeopathic remedies containing active ingredients (differentiating these as having potential for harm, unlike water-only remedies) as part of the remedy , or to preserve the remedy;

Originally Posted by Tass View Post
Your point is very valid, including use of homeopathic nosades.

However additionally people often lump all non prescription "natural" remedies as homoepathy (i.e. treating like-with-like) from harmless "memory of water" homeopathy, with no molecule of active ingredient present and so no side effects, to herbal medicine, alcohol-preserved Bach flower remedies, etc, which do have active ingredients present.

Anything with an active ingredient, including preservative alcohol, can have a side effect, or interact adversely with other prescription or non-prescription remedies, so this also needs to be guarded against.

While it is legal for someone to treat their own animals with homeopathic treatments, it is against the Veterinary Surgeons Act 1966 for anyone other than a qualified vet to treat anyone else's animals conventionally or homeopathically, although there are those who do.
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 12:10 AM
Originally Posted by Baileys Blind View Post
Does anyone have any experience of using these??

I've done courses on human herbal remedies and am an advocate of it but does it work on dogs??

I know homeopathic and herbal remedies are different but they are still 'natural' remedies
Although some human medicines work very similarly in dogs and people, dogs do have a different metabolism e.g theobromine poisoning, so it cannot be guaranteed in all circumstances what the appropriate dog dose of something would be, or if it would automatically be safe for a dog if it is safe for a person.

If you need something to calm him, what is the problem?

It you prefer "natural" remedies you could look at Zylkene, a calming milk protein for cats and dogs?

Some people also find pheromone therapy (DAP) helpful.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 06:39 AM
No, they weren't the cause, it was the homeopath's insistence that these medicines "would" provide all these things that was the cause. The homeopath actually said "If we had caught this earlier, we could have cured your arthritis", that should reasonably be assumed to be nonsense, but when heard by a weak, vulnerable old man, its false hope that he happily paid for, and paid through the nose for I should add.

First of all if indeed the homeopath DID say this, he was obviously wrong and it is not the homeopathy itself that is the issue but the moral compass of the homoepath isn't it!

There are conventional doctors who do the same

I should also add, that while I accept that conventional medicine may never have helped my uncle, we will never now know. What I do know is that now he has been seeking their help he has been getting pain relief and equipment to assist him, none of this he got from homeopaths.

So he visited more than one homeopath?

And yes I do think that if something has no side effects then its either lies or ineffective.

So sleep therapy lies or is ineffective? It is not addictive, neither does it have side effects.

What about light treatment for SAD, is that addictive or have side effects?

There are hundreds of similar therapies, are they "lying"?

Magnets, kiniesology, etc etc

The body is a very complex machine, as is life, it is extremely difficult to introduce an outside agent that will have only one effect on the body, another example is that homeopathic medicines are not regulated or tested in the same way as conventional medicine, why? because there's no need to, it has no physical effect on the body, so why should it be tested?

Lots of things have been tested and said to be ineffective but appear to work.

Further, looking at the actual processes of homeopathic medicines, its hard to see how they could possibly have an effect. The idea of "Like cures like" is the idea that whatever causes an effect on a healthy person, will have the opposite effect on an unwell person. For example, in homeopathic terms, the cure for insomnia is Caffeine to help you sleep, because Caffeine keeps a healthy person awake, it will help someone who is "too awake" to sleep. Please explain where the logic is in that? Thankfully, not even the homeopaths subscribe to this notion, because they have another principle, and that is that the more diluted something is the "stronger" it becomes, or what they term as "Potentization".

There are lots of things that work that are counterintuitive.

Following this principle, is the process of making up a homeopathic medicine, which is usually measured in their own way with the "C Scale" as its called. This is the strength of dilution that has been applied to a formula, so for example, Oscillococcinum which is a homeopathic remedy is made to 400C.
In order to achieve 1C, a single active drop of the "Like for Like" ingredient is added to 100 parts water, it is then shaken up for a bit, then a single drop of that is put into another 100 parts of water. You now have 1C on the homeopathic scale, no further active ingredient is added to the mix however you still have to do that 400 times before you have the approved homeopathic medicine.

That is quite a hard thing to visualize, so another fairly popular, but accurate interpretation of that is an analogy as follows:

"As there are only about 10^80 atoms in the entire observable universe, a dilution of one molecule in the observable universe would be about 40C. Oscillococcinum would thus require 10^320 more universes to simply have one molecule in the final substance."

The chance that in any homeopathic medicine, that there is anything except water or substrate is utterly unfathomable. Water allegedly having a "memory" of the things it comes into contact with is equally nonsensical, since you would have an entire library of homeopathic medicines in your tap.

I am very sorry for going off about this btw, it is a subject that I have looked into greatly and whenever I see it, it always gets my attention, if I have derailed things a bit then please accept my apologies.

I have looked into it too in some considerable detail.

If it is a load of bunkum as you claim, why do you think that rational scientists such as vets are also members of the BAHVS, what do you think their motivation is?

Are you saying they that all homoepathic vets are deluded?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 06:44 AM
Originally Posted by Tass View Post
Unfortunately some do use homeopathy to treat life threatening situations, not least as without qualified medical assessment the seriousness of the situation may not be recognised. I have known people try to treat cancer with homeopathy.

I am sure there ARE people who do this, just as there are people who refuse life saving blood transfusions due to their beliefs. That is their choice however. Would you PREVENT that choice?

However part of my point was that doing nothing, i.e. avoiding any treatments, can be a higher risk than the x% chance of having a bad reaction.

Yes it can, as I said ANYTHING is possible, and some people choose to avoid ANY medical interventions, SOME interventions etc. That is their choice.

Some herbal remedies can work in some situations but the strength and so the consistency isn't controlled to the level of licensed pharmaceuticals. E.g. herbs grown in different areas, in different soils will contain different ingredients, and the weather conditions during growth can also affect the end product as can use or absence of fertilisers.

Absolutely, and herbal remedies can be fatal.
That aside, serious side effects can arise by combining self-treatment active-ingredient forms of homeopathy with conventional treatment, particularly if the vet/doctor has not been informed.

Of course they can, I have not seen anyone arguing any differently. Just as there are serious side effects from combining certain foods with conventional treatment etc.

As in my post you quoted (#4), I specifically referred to "misused" remedies and I did point out previously (below) the wide range of treatments lumped together as "Homeopathy", from "harmless memory of water" (where the only risk would be from failure to treat), to other homeopathic remedies containing active ingredients (differentiating these as having potential for harm, unlike water-only remedies) as part of the remedy , or to preserve the remedy;
Anything can be misused, conventional drugs, food, water, that is what happens when people have freedom of choice.
Damorin
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-08-2011, 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I have looked into it too in some considerable detail.

If it is a load of bunkum as you claim, why do you think that rational scientists such as vets are also members of the BAHVS, what do you think their motivation is?

Are you saying they that all homoepathic vets are deluded?
Because it makes them more money, brings them more patients and sometimes people can just be very misled and can misinterpret what is actually happening when an event occurs.

Yes, I do think that they are deluded, its exceptionally easy to be deluded and to misinterpret things, it happens to us all on a daily basis. Hell, I am just back from the shops and I was fairly convinced everyone that looked at me was judging the fact that I haven't shaved today, that is a delusion.

First of all if indeed the homeopath DID say this, he was obviously wrong and it is not the homeopathy itself that is the issue but the moral compass of the homoepath isn't it!

There are conventional doctors who do the same.
Yes you are very right, that particular homeopath had a very poor moral compass, sadly he is backed up by homeopathy which also claims it can cure Arthritis. Homeopathic websites, and other homeopaths that I have spoken to fully back his claims and actually say that homeopathy can treat "almost any disease", this kind of misleading information can lead to people making poor choices about their own, or their pet's, health and leaving them worse than they started off under the assumption that this will actually cure their ailments.

So he visited more than one homeopath?
In total he visited four, all claimed the same thing and two of them very specifically mentioned "If caught early enough, homeopathy can cure arthritis". This misleading information is my biggest issue with homeopathy in particular, it claims to be extremely "potent" but has no side effects at all, no danger to pregnant women, children, or anyone while being 100% natural? Poisons were concocted from flowers and plants, so how can they use these materials and manage to purge the ill effects while retaining only the good? That makes no sense.

I will always remember watching James Randi taking boxes of homeopathic medicines, one entire box of tablets, or liquid in one go before starting his lectures, in order to show how truly ineffective they are. Hes yet to have any ill effects, or indeed any effects as a result.

So sleep therapy lies or is ineffective? It is not addictive, neither does it have side effects.

What about light treatment for SAD, is that addictive or have side effects?

There are hundreds of similar therapies, are they "lying"?

Magnets, kiniesology, etc etc
Deep sleep therapy caused the deaths of 26 patients when it was first introduced between the 60s and 70s, I may have the wrong therapy, but that is not no side effects. The beneficial effects of sleep in itself are beyond a doubt, there is nothing nonsensical about sleep as therapy and this was one point why I made a point of underlining the distinction of homeopathy versus other therapies that are lumped in with it.

Light treatment does have side effects including damage to skin, cataracts, macular degeneration, headaches, nausea and a host of other things. So yes it does have side effects.

As I did originally say though, the distinction between homeopathy and other therapies is an important one to make because of this very situation which you are highlighting.

Lots of things have been tested and said to be ineffective but appear to work.
Of course, we are human, we are prone to error. We got smoking very seriously wrong when it first became popularized for example. Unfortunately the appearance of something working, is not always a sign of actual improvement. You might take painkillers to ease back pain, does the cause of the back pain disappear? No, your simply addressing the pain, not the issue. The painkillers "appear" to solve the issue, but they don't, the cause is still there but it has now been masked.

There are lots of things that work that are counterintuitive.
Counterintuitive solutions also make sense. They might appear not to when your in the situation and your trying to find a solution, but afterward when you look at them they do make sense and you can see why it worked. There is a reason that they work and it makes sense. The reason it appears wrong is poor understanding of the issue in the first place. The homeopathic process does not make sense, and further the very opposite approach does in fact seem to work.
Conventional doctors claim that using a relatively large dosage of a substance with moderating effects on a particular symptom will help to ease that symptom, homeopathic practices say that using an infinitesimally small amount of a substance which "causes" the symptom will cure it. Which of these approaches makes sense? Do you cover a stab wound with a bandage larger than the would you have received to attempt to stop the bleeding, or do you take a tiny knife and cover up the wound with that and hope that it will get better?

I hope that i've managed to make some sense in what I have posted.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 10:42 AM
Because it makes them more money, brings them more patients and sometimes people can just be very misled and can misinterpret what is actually happening when an event occurs.

Yes, I do think that they are deluded, its exceptionally easy to be deluded and to misinterpret things, it happens to us all on a daily basis. Hell, I am just back from the shops and I was fairly convinced everyone that looked at me was judging the fact that I haven't shaved today, that is a delusion.

Well we will have to agree to disagree, having met and consulted Mark Elliott, Nick THompson and Christopher Day I know that their prime concern is the welfare of the animals they treat.

It is NOT more money! And I can attest to the fact they are not deluded but in fact balanced individuals who use allopathic and homeopathic treatments where appropriate to ensure the best outcome for their patients.

Yes you are very right, that particular homeopath had a very poor moral compass, sadly he is backed up by homeopathy which also claims it can cure Arthritis. Homeopathic websites, and other homeopaths that I have spoken to fully back his claims and actually say that homeopathy can treat "almost any disease", this kind of misleading information can lead to people making poor choices about their own, or their pet's, health and leaving them worse than they started off under the assumption that this will actually cure their ailments.

But as I said before the same can be and is said of allopathic companies.

In total he visited four, all claimed the same thing and two of them very specifically mentioned "If caught early enough, homeopathy can cure arthritis". This misleading information is my biggest issue with homeopathy in particular, it claims to be extremely "potent" but has no side effects at all, no danger to pregnant women, children, or anyone while being 100% natural? Poisons were concocted from flowers and plants, so how can they use these materials and manage to purge the ill effects while retaining only the good? That makes no sense.

Does not mean it does not work though!

I will always remember watching James Randi taking boxes of homeopathic medicines, one entire box of tablets, or liquid in one go before starting his lectures, in order to show how truly ineffective they are. Hes yet to have any ill effects, or indeed any effects as a result.

But again, not all products work for all people. Whether they are homeopathic, allopathic, herbal etc etc this is a fact.

Deep sleep therapy caused the deaths of 26 patients when it was first introduced between the 60s and 70s, I may have the wrong therapy, but that is not no side effects. The beneficial effects of sleep in itself are beyond a doubt, there is nothing nonsensical about sleep as therapy and this was one point why I made a point of underlining the distinction of homeopathy versus other therapies that are lumped in with it.

Light treatment does have side effects including damage to skin, cataracts, macular degeneration, headaches, nausea and a host of other things. So yes it does have side effects.

As I did originally say though, the distinction between homeopathy and other therapies is an important one to make because of this very situation which you are highlighting.

Just because no side effects have been observed as yet. just means it has not been tested to destruction.

So then we go into the moral aspects of testing do we not? Ie do you agree with animal testing or that on humans.

Of course, we are human, we are prone to error. We got smoking very seriously wrong when it first became popularized for example. Unfortunately the appearance of something working, is not always a sign of actual improvement. You might take painkillers to ease back pain, does the cause of the back pain disappear? No, your simply addressing the pain, not the issue. The painkillers "appear" to solve the issue, but they don't, the cause is still there but it has now been masked.

Yes and your point is? That is why some of us choose NOT to take allopathic remedies PRECISELY due to this reason as they are designed to tackle a SPECIFIC remedy without attacking the underlying cause.

THAT is the whole reason why people who use homeopathy DO use it! Because the remedies are CONSTITUTIONAL!

Counterintuitive solutions also make sense. They might appear not to when your in the situation and your trying to find a solution, but afterward when you look at them they do make sense and you can see why it worked. There is a reason that they work and it makes sense. The reason it appears wrong is poor understanding of the issue in the first place. The homeopathic process does not make sense, and further the very opposite approach does in fact seem to work.

Correction, it does not make sense to YOU.

There are several things that do not make sense to some people ie religion, does that invalidate the concept to all?

Conventional doctors claim that using a relatively large dosage of a substance with moderating effects on a particular symptom will help to ease that symptom, homeopathic practices say that using an infinitesimally small amount of a substance which "causes" the symptom will cure it. Which of these approaches makes sense? Do you cover a stab wound with a bandage larger than the would you have received to attempt to stop the bleeding, or do you take a tiny knife and cover up the wound with that and hope that it will get better?

But now you are not comparing apples with apples are you!

I hope that i've managed to make some sense in what I have posted.

If you do not believe in homeopathy there is no issue is there, you just do not use it.

I think bungee jumping is dangerous, therefore I do not use it, and nobody will persuade me otherwise.

Simples!
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 02:15 PM
I spoke to a lady from the Many Tears website about Bailey and his aggression towards other dogs and she suggested some tactics to help, one of the suggestions was to try homeopathy to calm him as she thinks some of his aggression is due to anxiety and worry.

I was just asking for other people's opinions and experiences and whether it would be worth a try
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 02:27 PM
There are lots of things you can try but in a case such as your dog's why not visit a homeopathic vet? You can ask your vet to refer you.

They will work up a history (you do not just get something off the shelf) and prescribe the correct remedy or remedies for your dog.

FWIW I had great success with a constitutional remedy with a rescue I had with the canine equivalent of ADHD.

http://www.bahvs.com/
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >