View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JennyThomps70
New Member!
Female 

19-04-2013, 01:40 PM

Has anyone tried Dog Rocks to stop urine burn on the grass?

We have 2 x female labs, and have a v patchy lawn. We've heard great things about Dog Rocks, plus are v keen to use something natural so it works well there. Our neighbors and several friends have had great results, just wondering what everyone else thinks?
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-04-2013, 03:12 PM
i never got round to trying them after i was told they didn't work.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-04-2013, 03:35 PM
I am always reluctant to put none essential substances into a dogs water which alter the pH balance of the urine particularly in a breed which is susceptible to Struvite Bladder Stones.

I would rather put something on the lawn than in the dog
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2013, 03:40 PM
I've heard they don't work. I just put up with the patches!
JennyThomps70
New Member!
Female 

19-04-2013, 03:59 PM
They don't actually alter the pH balance - that's the whole reason we want to try them as we have a dog that has had bladder issues in the past. They absorb impurities (nitrates I think) in the water so they don't pass through. My sister-in-law in particular had a dreadful lawn until she started using these.

I'm definitely with you on not medicating the dogs in any way, ours are both rescue and have been through enough without meds!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2013, 04:07 PM
I don't....we have no grass but a friend does....I shal ask her.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2013, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by JennyThomps70 View Post
We have 2 x female labs, and have a v patchy lawn. We've heard great things about Dog Rocks, plus are v keen to use something natural so it works well there. Our neighbors and several friends have had great results, just wondering what everyone else thinks?
Hi We used to get the Australian Rocks on the Internet but they were really expensive,we now get green'um from pet at homes for just under £10,and that seems to be working,if you feel that they are too expensive you will have to water the bit they have wee'ed in buts thats a bit hit & miss,other people talk about putting something in the water,but dont like to intefere with nature.best of luck let us know howyou go crystalgirl
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2013, 05:10 PM
Never having heard of these - 'dog rocks' conjured up an image of something ENTIRELY different from aggregates you put in dog drinking water for me.

I wouldn't DREAM of putting anything in my dog's drink to stop grass patching. Thorough and regular hosing always worked for me when I had a GSD that insisted the back garden was the ONLY place you could pee.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-04-2013, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by JennyThomps70 View Post
They don't actually alter the pH balance -They absorb impurities (nitrates I think) in the water so they don't pass through.
...really, Jenny you seem to know a lot about this product do you have any scientific evidence to back this up ?
I'm definitely with you on not medicating the dogs in any way, ours are both rescue and have been through enough without meds!
In that case why introduce a substance which may affect your dog adversely simply to have a cosmetic effect on grass.

I find dog urine when diluted acts as a fertiliser on grass producing green rings, the trick is to have a bucket of water or hosepipe at hand to dilute the urine then no expensive additives are required.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2013, 05:36 PM
Isn't there something about tomato sauce that stops this happening.

Pepsi must be an exception because everywhere she "goes" the grass grows twice as high and twice as lush. Seriously
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >