Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2012, 10:33 PM

I despair...

this from someone earlier on fbook about their dog in reply to someone being perfectly reasonably upset that their dog had got hold of something and destroyed it.. Not their fault the OP was saying.. shouldn't have been left in the puppies reach, OP gave the puppy a cuddle, they didn't mean it...

"I don't believe you. B finds my stuff and destroys it and then cowers and then pisses everywhere and then I say B bed and he pees on the sofa then I say NO garden and he pisses everywhere at which point I grab him by the scruff and slap him, f***in retard."

I replied with:

"Urinating is an extreme stress or fear response, voiding is the last ditch attempt to escape attack. Making a threat or causing pain when a dog is already in its most extreme stress response will make the problem worse and cause a urination response at an earlier stage next time as the dog anticipates fear and pain. Destructive behaviour when being left is also a sign of anxiety, although in puppies it can just be boredom or redirected excitement. Just take anything of value out of reach and give them interesting distracting toys to occupy them, treat balls, kongs, knotted towels with treats in the knots, boxes filled with newspaper and treats are great inexpensive enrichments to leave when you go out."

I didn't want to come across as preachy or know it all.. but I couldn't just let a statement like that go.. poor B...

Would you have held your tongue?
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2012, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
this from someone earlier on fbook about their dog in reply to someone being perfectly reasonably upset that their dog had got hold of something and destroyed it.. Not their fault the OP was saying.. shouldn't have been left in the puppies reach, OP gave the puppy a cuddle, they didn't mean it...

"I don't believe you. B finds my stuff and destroys it and then cowers and then pisses everywhere and then I say B bed and he pees on the sofa then I say NO garden and he pisses everywhere at which point I grab him by the scruff and slap him, f***in retard."

I replied with:

"Urinating is an extreme stress or fear response, voiding is the last ditch attempt to escape attack. Making a threat or causing pain when a dog is already in its most extreme stress response will make the problem worse and cause a urination response at an earlier stage next time as the dog anticipates fear and pain. Destructive behaviour when being left is also a sign of anxiety, although in puppies it can just be boredom or redirected excitement. Just take anything of value out of reach and give them interesting distracting toys to occupy them, treat balls, kongs, knotted towels with treats in the knots, boxes filled with newspaper and treats are great inexpensive enrichments to leave when you go out."

I didn't want to come across as preachy or know it all.. but I couldn't just let a statement like that go.. poor B...

No........
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2012, 10:41 PM
absolutely not.... some people don't have the brains to consider that just as if you shout and scream at a child and scare the living daylights out of them the same applies with an animal.

some people just don't use their brains
STGSD
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-01-2012, 11:12 PM
It really upsets me to think of what so many poor animals go through
spot
Dogsey Veteran

12-01-2012, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post

I replied with:

I think your response was extremely well written and constructive - a damn site more than mine would of been! Well done you lets just hope that they take some of it in.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2012, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by STGSD View Post
It really upsets me to think of what so many poor animals go through
My thoughts exactly
Manyana13
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-01-2012, 02:06 AM
No way I could have held my tongue and I wouldn't have been able to write such a good response either. I would have written something on impulse that really wouldn't help the situation. Living with a rescue dog that reacts like that at the slightest thing shows the result of what happens when people treat animals like that. It infuriates me greatly. Lets hope your reply at the very least provoked the thoughts of that person! That poor dog
andy55
New Member!
Male 

13-01-2012, 02:15 AM
Not a chance of that. Would like to meet the bully and dish out some of the same to them. Might just put there brain into gear, but probably not.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2012, 06:46 AM
Thug!

Some people are just completely vile.....
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2012, 09:46 AM
No. And I`ve just answered a very similar post on another forum so be aware this might (hopefully) be a new troll tactic.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >