Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helen13
New Member!
Female 

07-06-2016, 01:27 PM

Should I Get A Dog?

I really really miss having a furry face in my life. I recently posted on my [a social network] page to say I want a dog and about 3/4 of friends have tried to talk me out of it.

I have had dogs before, sadly when I split with my husband he kept our dog (I joined this forum to test the rehoming waters but he stayed with my ex in the end)
4 years later and I'm settled in a long term let with a medium size yard and an absolutely massive park and river minutes away.

I work from home so am always here to be with a dog, it would actually make me get dressed and leave the house each day too which would be great, when you don't have to get dressed or walk anywhere you tend to get a little plump

Holiday wise I sometimes go to festivals for a weekend, my mum comes over to stay with the kids and is used to dogs too and happy to sit a dog. If I went out for a day I would find a way to incorporate the dog or if it was nearby then dog would be left for a few hours only. Both our local pubs are very dog friendly too!

Friends are mostly saying a dog will be a burden and then they die etc, I know they are just being miserable but obviously I want to make sure that I have considered everything, I kind of feel like I need to talk to some people who don't have pre conceptions about me! I think my friends think I go out every weekend when in reality I rarely leave the house.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-06-2016, 03:13 PM
It isn't your friends who will be looking after the dog and living with it on a daily basis, so only you can make the decision really. You seem to have thought about it long and hard, you have already had a dog in your life once, so its not as though you are going into it on a whim. Perhaps go and have a look around the rescue and see who needs a home perhaps.
lorniec
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-06-2016, 03:56 PM
Helen, your situation sounds very similar to mine. I always wanted a dog as I grew up with family pets. When I neared 40 I realised I wasn't out as any where near as much as I was when I was younger. I had sleepless nights thinking about it. My main deciding factors were
1) I knew what I was letting myself in for
2) My family are all local and help out
3) My 3 closest friends are all ' dog friendly' so if I go there Louis comes too (one friend has got the dog bug and has adopted a 6 month black lab!) and also happy to go to doggie events and walks

I work so this was a difficult decision - and means I rarely go anywhere after work where he can't go and he is with me most of the weekend. Luckily my dad prefers dogs to people and is round most days.
It sounds like you know what it entails - and working from home would be fantastic!
It sounds like some of your friends are not dog people as such and they may not share your interest and socially this may be difficult, however I have made friends with other schnauzer owners and go on walks/ weekends away and holiday to the Isle of Wight so that was a bonus ! my mum jokes I'm never out of jeans and trainers.

Sorry if this is my personal story - but thought it might help, it sounds to me that you are 90% of the way there having thought about it carefully.

Good luck !
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2016, 04:27 PM
If you know you can afford one Go for it.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2016, 07:05 PM
You already realise that your decision now affects the next 10-20 years and if you're ready for that and you're confident you can cope with work, kids and a dog then the decision is yours and yours alone - not well-meaning friends
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2016, 08:24 PM
From the description you give of your lifestyle, experience and interests, I would say that you would make a great dog owner. You have owned a dog before so know what to expect, you have help and back-up if needed in the form of your mum, and are committed to incorporating a dog into any activities where your mum can't help.

Are your children happy for you to add a dog to the family?

Have you any breeds or types you are particularly interested in?
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2016, 09:45 PM
From what you're saying here, it sounds like you'd be a great dog owner. Realize that rain or shine dogs need walks and attention and outdoor time. I have to walk my dogs when it's 20 below (F, not C!) out and I have to walk them when it's 90F. They're a commitment but if you're certain you know what you are in for, then your lifestyle sounds ideal.

I don't know how old your kids are so if they're younger, I would be careful about the dog, maybe get a rescue who is a bit older and you know is good with kids.
PetsAreFamily
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-06-2016, 07:43 PM
Dogs are wonderful companions, and with the yard and nearby park you can take care of one easily and you and the children will get exercise too!

Like the others said, just make sure a dog you choose will be good with your children and include the children (unless they are adult children, lol) in picking out a new family member!