View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2011, 07:36 PM
Yes - both black and also brindle coloured dogs tend to spend the longest time in shelters.

One theory I've read about is that with a solid black dog, it can be harder to read their faces, thus making them less popular.

Yellow and golden and tan coloured dogs apparently are adopted the fastest.

I love black Labs for example - their gorgeous glossy coats are lovely. My best friend rescued a very big black Lab named Sam, he's stunning! Amazing amber eyes, and he's got a real personality. But I know that a lot of people are more wary of black dogs than lighter coloured ones.
wilmasmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-01-2011, 08:03 PM
I do have a thing for black,not just dogs its my favourite
colour in cats as well,also like black n tans.
malwhit
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-01-2011, 06:37 PM
When I got Lottie (solid black), her breeder told me that lighter coloured puppies always got sold first, and black ones were less popular.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 06:43 PM
I think it's such a shame that there is so much colour prejudice...black greyhounds tend to be in the kennels a lot longer too...when I went to Monmore most of the dogs there were black or black and white, a lot had been there a long time, all the 'pretty' colours went quickly.
I've heard that a medium-sized black crossbreed is considered the hardest to home in a general rescue centre, even if they have no issues

I'm obviously a fan of black dogs, I think when they're in sleek and shiny condition it's hard to beat that sheen!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 06:44 PM
I'm odd then, because I love black dogs. I'd only ever have a black Labrador & I like black German Shepherds, Cockers, Schnauzers, Poodles, GSP's & Newfies. Love black kitties too, especially if they have orange eyes.

I think white and other lighter coats look ok when they are immaculate, but as my dogs are normally covered in dirt, it wouldn't be practical for me. At least dark coats hide the mess a bit.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 09:48 PM
Thats so sad

I prefer dogs that arent solid colours (just my preference) but that would never stop me rescuing a solid coloured dog (of any colour)... I would want whatever dog suited me and my lifestyle.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 11:46 PM
Originally Posted by Mother*ship View Post
Any particular reason? Or just an aesthetic thing?

Exactly, I wouldn't want a white dog for practical reasons.

J.
OMG - how could you turn down white angels - amazing how they self clean -

Katie

Harvey
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2011, 07:34 AM
I've heard the same from the DT ~ the solid black, medium-sized, nondescript dogs always seem to be overlooked/dismissed for the more striking looking ones. So that's why I got Wilma ~ a solid black, medium-sized, nondescript lab x . And I couldn't have wished for a better friend for Barney

Looks mean very little to me ~ it's temperament/character ~ whatever you want to call it, & health, that are important to me. The only restrictions I'd make are whether I am able to provide whatever a particular dog needs & whether a dog could fit into my lifestyle with the other animals I have.

I've known the staff "dress up" a dog to try to get it noticed by the public, e.g. a bandana, or pretty coat, or beautiful pictures of the dog playing ~ anything to get the dog noticed. The staff know what a lovely pet this dog would make ~ such a shame us humans are so fickle & judge things solely on physical appearance.

Having said that, the 3-legged dogs are relatively easy to rehome ~ nothing like a sob-story to tug at the heart-strings! Plus those people can then "advertise" to the world what lovely caring people they are for taking on a dog with 3 legs! Or perhaps that's a bit harsh?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2011, 01:57 PM
I think its grest the 3-legs are homed, be awful if no one wanted them
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2011, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
OMG - how could you turn down white angels - amazing how they self clean -

Katie
I love other people's white dogs! Yours look gorgeous. White/pale dogs just wouldn't be top of my list, same as I think it's great that other people's dog like water but I'm really glad mine don't! A friend of mine has a little white staffy, who is an absolutely sweetie, but due to her love of muddy puddles spends a lot of time looking like a brown dog!

J.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2