Female 

12-01-2011, 10:14 AM
Absolutely NO WAY

I would however ask that the deer has a safe journey to the summerlands
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2011, 10:18 AM
As long as you were sure it was killed on the road, yes Id have it in a flash!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2011, 10:38 AM
No. For a start, I wouldn't know how to cut it up and would have nowhere to store it anyway.

I come across dead deer fairly often on walks. Wouldn't occur to me to do anything but leave it. Not sure I'd like to see the after affects of feeding my dogs something that had potentially been sitting there rotting for weeks.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2011, 10:40 AM
I regularly feed roadkill to my dogs.

The Highways agency are responsible for clearing them away and technically it belongs to them but it is not enforced.

It is illegal to KILL animals yourself, there are licensed individuals who will despatch a deer etc beyond hope.

I get some roadkill from him.

If you kill anything accidentally yourself there is nothing to stop you using it.

Obviously it is not a good idea to feed it to PEOPLE
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-01-2011, 11:14 AM
I don't know if i could do it.. Saying that I have never tasted venison, but i'm sure the dogs would like it.

These reminded me of the time i was walking a rottweiler and it came across a rabbit carcass which had been there for some time. It then proceeded to eat it *crunch crunch* you could hear the bones cracking. I did the wrong thing and tried to give chase as i was scared the rabbit may have died from some disease or poisoning, calling feebly and throwing frolics on the floor (it was the only high value treat i had) in a bid to get him to drop the rabbit. I even tried distracting him with a stick. Now normally he is very obediant, but the rabbit seemed to have set him on a high.

For the dog it was one big game, and a tasty rotting rabbit was really much more nice than some boring old frolic he gets every day when he listens.

Eventually, the dog got bored of the game (and full up). I gave up, then it came up to me wagging its tail and dropped the rabbits foot on my shoe. Nothing else was left of the rabbit but the foot. (bits were scattered around the field from the chase, but the majority was not going to be seen until the next day)

I heard rabbits feet were supposed to be lucky? Well.. It was left behind.

I don't think i could eat road kill... If i saw the deer being squashed i'd be alot more.. oh my god.. that poor deer. But saying that, I'm all saving money and having fresh meat. Its got to be fresher than the farmed supermarket meat and probably a whole lot tastier!
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2011, 04:10 PM
I can only cut things up if they are frozen and I cant gut animals etc, far too squeamish for that. I can saw a rabbit into thirds frozen but I struggle just to pick it up if it isnt!

I guess it depends...I have a butcher acquaintance so I guess I could always ask him to sort it out for me so i dont think I would hesitate to collect roadkill deer for the dogs. Once I got it home though I might have a problem!
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2011, 04:20 PM
Most definately, but dog would have to share it.
beau
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-01-2011, 05:10 PM
I thought it was illegal to take a deer that had been killed.
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-01-2011, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by beau View Post
I thought it was illegal to take a deer that had been killed.
Its only illegal if you are the one which hit it with the car, if the person in front hits the deer and then your behind and pull over i think legally its yours for the taking.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2011, 04:46 PM
It is NOT illegal to take deer carcass if you hit it with a car, unless you killed it deliberately.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3