Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
Ok breeders to me are full-time breeders who own the best of the breed in the country, and produce TOP quality, proven healthy puppies and who offer EVERY single back up possible for the little pup, offer advice and support for the rest of it's life! And charge a small fortune (rightly so) for their offspring, and usually have waiting lists upon waiting lists for the offspring. KC accreditted.

You don't see these dogs ending up in rescue very often, and most, if they did, would be pts.

Your 'auntie Joan' who owns a bitch and a male spaniel down the street in their 2 bed terrace with their little back yards and no money behind them, no health tests, life time assistance, and place free ads to get rid of the pups when they hit 8 weeks old are NOT okay breeders!

Rescues are filled with these dogs, and most are pts.

IMO it is NOT ok for the 'general public' to breed dogs.
I agree with most of what you have written, except the KC Accredited bit, I know loads of great breeders who won't touch the scheme because you can breed from a bitch from when she is one. Until recently it was also okay to have 5 litters...that is changing to 4 litters from the same bitch, which I feel again, is too much.

What about people who breed for the pet market specifically, but who have all the health tests done and are KC accredited?
beau
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-01-2011, 02:31 PM
I don't! (the pups though, yes) They shouldn't be stupid enough in the first place to buy them, it's full of holes!
I do feel sorry for them because to people who are uneducated in the dog world, that advert would seem as though the breeder knows what he/she is talking about. It is only since I joined dog forums and educated myself about dogs that I now can tell the difference between a good and bad breeder.
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
What makes an okay breeder though? When is it okay to breed? Is it okay to breed purely for the pet market ever?

I have my own opinions on this but wonder what others think?
i do too

A person who takes responsibility for what they bring into the world.

Owns the female for over 2 years, have had all health tests done, knows alot about the sire, knows they have been health tested.

Offers a pup who is microchipped, full kc registration with endorsements for non breeding, puts into writing that the dog must be returned to them if anything goes wrong. Checks all possible homes in person, by taking their own dogs to the interested buyers. Offers all the help possible, via phone or in person even years down the line. Takes responsibility for their breeding. Hands out packs with helpful advice on the breed and feeding guidlines etc.....um probabley more but can't think at the moment
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by shiba View Post
i do too

A person who takes responsibility for what they bring into the world.

Owns the female for over 2 years, have had all health tests done, knows alot about the sire, knows they have been health tested.

Offers a pup who is microchipped, full kc registration with endorsements for non breeding, puts into writing that the dog must be returned to them if anything goes wrong. Checks all possible homes in person, by taking their own dogs to the interested buyers. Offers all the help possible, via phone or in person even years down the line. Takes responsibility for their breeding. Hands out packs with helpful advice on the breed and feeding guidlines etc.....um probabley more but can't think at the moment
an excellent list..
What about the parents, do they need to be good examples of the breed?
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 04:36 PM
an excellent list..
What about the parents, do they need to be good examples of the breed?
They need to look like the dog they are suppose to

What classes as good examples of the breed??.......If you want me to say that they should be from show dogs that are winning and are classed as good examples of the breed i wouldn't say that.

I know of dogs who are winning shows, being bred from that have lots of faults (ie bad hips etc) but breeders are friendly with the judge and win that way, had little to do with the dog lol ie, the dogs can have temperment issues, health issues and it annoys me. Kc standards in some other breeds to mine are causing un healthy dogs so just to say it has to be upto kc standards imo is not always a good thing. Id rather a dog not be winning at shows but was healthy.

They need to be healthy, first and fore most for me.
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 04:46 PM
Oh my! I just don't know what to say anymore

Why is she advertising them?? If the puppys are of that high quality how come she didn't have a waiting list??
crestnut
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-01-2011, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
A while back now mum got an email from some wanting a stud for their HL CC - and forward piccies, and a pedigree - well erm she was very poor quality and the pedigree was crap, in the kindest possible way she was told to enjoy her pet and that our dogs dont stand to public stud (which they dont). never heard anything back - she also advertised the same bitch on a petforum asking for a stud and I told her the same again.

well it only turns out that she DID get a stud and the stud is well erm just as crap quality and rubbish pedigree.
Goes with out saying that this litter are going to be far from show quality - with the faults the parents carry.
This is some of the 'selling points' added to the puppies sale advert - I am not copying it all over as refuse to give such a clueless newbie breeder any more free advertisement.

RARE Chocolate's, Chocolate Sable's and Rich Ebony.

I understand my puppies are priced slightly higher than the average crested, but that is because my puppies are NOT AVERAGE, they have been bred to the highest of standards and will be raised as such, there colours are unique and so are there looks, truly wonderfull glorious puppies, with a pedigree you can research and know every tiny detail, it is very much quality above quantity, and my puppies will be going to the best homes only.

These Puppies will have show potential and could very well be shown, they also have no endorsements so if you would like to have babies one day it can be possible

This is attached to a picture of one pup -
Gorgeous girl, with such a pretty face and a glamourous glossy coat, it is very hard to find a powderpuff of this colour, going to be stunning, make fantastic for show or pet home

Yeah their ermm £1000 puppies from a pet quality bitch, with a mish mash pedigree put to another pet quality dog with a mish mash pedigree no healths test done on the dogs OR through out the lines

and you can not tell how a PUPPIES coat will turn out FFS and it aint hard to find the colour at all.
I read her advert and Jeez what a numpty. Obviously her first Crested and thought Oh Yeah Take A Litter. Someone will be dissapointed when their chocolate/sable turns cream lol. She also needs to go look at well bred Crested pups to see good quality. Makes me sick indeed
crestnut
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-01-2011, 05:20 PM
Ok breeders to me are full-time breeders who own the best of the breed in the country, and produce TOP quality, proven healthy puppies and who offer EVERY single back up possible for the little pup, offer advice and support for the rest of it's life! And charge a small fortune (rightly so) for their offspring, and usually have waiting lists upon waiting lists for the offspring. KC accreditted.

You don't see these dogs ending up in rescue very often, and most, if they did, would be pts.

Your 'auntie Joan' who owns a bitch and a male spaniel down the street in their 2 bed terrace with their little back yards and no money behind them, no health tests, life time assistance, and place free ads to get rid of the pups when they hit 8 weeks old are NOT okay breeders!

Rescues are filled with these dogs, and most are pts.

IMO it is NOT ok for the 'general public' to breed dogs.
Totally agree with you. Well posted
beau
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-01-2011, 06:01 PM
I have a feeling I have looked at the wrong advert, although most of the wording is similar it is not exact.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 06:46 PM
What makes an okay breeder though? When is it okay to breed? Is it okay to breed purely for the pet market ever?

I have my own opinions on this but wonder what others think?
for me breeding solely for the pet market is something I dont agree with - but I wont get into all that again
Originally Posted by crestnut View Post
I read her advert and Jeez what a numpty. Obviously her first Crested and thought Oh Yeah Take A Litter. Someone will be dissapointed when their chocolate/sable turns cream lol. She also needs to go look at well bred Crested pups to see good quality. Makes me sick indeed
A numpty indeed - when they all leave with light eyes and lack of pigment to

Originally Posted by beau View Post
I have a feeling I have looked at the wrong advert, although most of the wording is similar it is not exact.
The advert isnt worded the same - I took this from her website .
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >