Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by leospride View Post
[QUOTE She works full time so rescue centres wont let her have a dog from them.

Don't mean to offend anyone here but If the rescue centres won't let her have a puppy because she works full time, what makes you think a 'reputable' breeder would? [/QUOTE]

That is probably a valid point - puppies shouldn't be left for more than a couple of hours tops each day - does she plan to get a puppysitter?/dog walker? perhaps.

In terms of the best place - I would steer well clear of papers and puppy websites esp. in the more popular breeds and would definitely talk to the breed club in the first instance. They generally have a good idea of the type of dogs suited to the type of family.
leospride
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-05-2007, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
It depends what they can offer for the pup?
Becky
Oh I know, but was just curious about the different views from a rescue centre and a breeders?
Personally no objection to people working full time and having pets, both my sisters and brother work fulltime with a dog at home and I know they are well looked after etc. But I know of breeders who won't let them go to fulltime workers.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 01:41 PM
I think some rescue centres shot themselves in the foot by being too rigid with their homing criteria. Just because someone is home all day doesn't mean the dog is going to get loads of attention, yet someone who works who puts the effort into walking the dog before work, popping home at lunch time then a long walk in the evening gives the dog far more attention.
Becky
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 02:00 PM
If she is working full time private rehoming might be the way to go. This is what we did when we were all out at work, looked for ads where people were rehoming an adult dog who was used to being left. Meant we had to wait a short while but its much better than trying to take on a young puppy when you work full tome I would have thought, After all even the 4 times daily feeding would be a problem.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2