View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
5dog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-05-2007, 07:18 PM
I have used check chains in the past, and still have one as part of my equipment. although I prefer a flat leather slip collar instead much easier to get on and off in a hurry.

IF a check chain is used it should never be tight around the dogs neck the chain should never be used to stop a dog pulling it wasnt designed for that, it should be used as a training aid ie dog pulls forward handler makes a quick right turn with a heel command if dog doesnt respond a sharp pull then release of the check chain (more for the noise than the pulling on the neck then when dog is back in the correct position a reward food , toy or play.
It should never get to a stage where the dog is choking or being throttled as previously stated.
The red marks around the Boxers neck sound like it is a test of strength between the handler and the dogs neck, something that should never happen.
I have to say that sometimes a check chain is a nessessity for some types of dog training on extreme dogs where allowing them to continue with a course of action or behaviour could be seen as criminal against another person.
BUT they should be used by a qualified person and only after other methods have been exhausted.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I hate them, can't add any more than that without ranting.
Me too! they're used as a lazy option instead of putting in the training.
bessey112
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-05-2007, 07:31 PM
hi, all 3 of my rottys wear full check chains BUT not for walking or training etc. They are put in headcollars for this.
the reason mine wear them is purely because of the fact 2 of them are allergic to fabric/leather collars. They end up with extremely sore patches on their necks yet need to wear some sort of collar for their id tags etc. i would never walk them on these collars even though 2 of them dont pull at all.

sarah
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 09:17 PM
Sorry I had to add, I also think they look awful and pretty uncomfortable for the dog to wear.

I wouldn't have thought they were safe as a collar to wear when free running, for fear of the dog catching part of the collar on a tree/branch/fence and pulling the collar tight...
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by dollyknockers View Post
My sister and her husband spoke to the bloke again today about the obvisous wounds on tara neck and thankfully have sorted out the problem thus far , as to him going back to the harness and getting rid of the choke chain horray also my bil is going to help with training her to walk on a lead without pulling in thew same way he trained his own large male boxer (clicker training)

Oh what a result, well done to you and your family!!
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 09:50 PM
I use check chains
I am quite shocked at peoples opinions to be honest,
My dogs are never choked, they usually hang losely round there necks,
I could rant on about how I do not like treat training what so ever, but its all about personal choice and preference, and I no how to use a check chain properly, it has never rubbed my dogs neck as they are not supposed to be tight around them
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 09:58 PM
Ok i'm ready to be shot down here, but I walk Maddy on a full check when I have all the dogs with me, or a Dogmatic when she is on her own, with a check or half check as backup. The reasons for this are that she has previously snapped and buckled both collars and harnesses, and yes even leather. She can pull so hard that collars almost always rub and cause discomfort and injury/soreness to her neck, moreso than a chain has ever done. Harnesses (yes again I have tried many a design) cause discomfort and soreness around her underarm usually. When I have 3 dogs on lead it is difficult to keep an eye on her in a headcollar as she is way too clever for her own good and is notorious for slipping her headcollar. She knows exactly how to whip her paw in the underneath, give a quick twist of the head and the collar is off. If she is being walked on her own (which she does get each day), I can be more vigilant and she doesn't usually try her naughty tricks with slipping the headcollar.

I will stand up to scrutiny and I sincerely believe I use the chain correctly, it has never caused her any injury, brusing or sorness, she is a big baby and yelps at the slightest thing, so I am certain I would know if she was ever in pain whilst wearing a check chain. I do know the correct way of putting it on (I too have seen may people with it on the wrong way, a lot of people do not have a clue what to even do with the thing), and it is mostly used 'just incase' as Maddy is fear aggressive, as you will all know by now and she is a very strong dog, if she sees another dog whilst she is onlead her first thought is to protect herself and whomever is in her company, and TBH I don't trust a collar or harness holding her back when she throws herself about.

I certainly do not use it to 'choke' her.

You will be relieved to know on a normal day to day walk, (as long as I am fully stocked up with treats) she will walk fine and doesn't usually pull sufficiently so that the chain 'chokes'. Like I said the only time the chain will actually be 'used' rather than just hanging loose around the base of her neck, is if she sees another dog, and more so (as she almost always barks) if the dog retaliates towards her.

At the end of the day if she wasn't fearful to an extent where she may get into a serious fight with another dog, she would be walked on something else. I think they should only be sold in certain circumstances and the owner should be shown how to use one correctly.

In this case it's not a matter of training as if there were no other dogs on the planet, Maddy would walk quite happily to heal offlead, it's the fact she has fear aggression which is being worked on, but as much as I would give anything for it, there is no magic remedy to reinforce her confidence in un-familiar dogs.

*prepares to be hung, drawn and quatered*

ETA: Maddy is very well trained, the fact she is fear aggressive is of no fault of mine (or hers), so to say that I am using the chain because I can't be bothered to put in the training is not so in this case, although I do agree that in the vast majority of cases where these chains are yanked about every time the dog pulls, this is when that may be true.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 10:13 PM
Chokers are just the old school versions of headcollars and special harnesses. Tools that make walking a dog easier, but do nothing to actually train the dog not to pull. If you have actually trained your dog, it should walk nicely on lead no matter what contraption you have saddled it with. It takes time and patience, not gimicks and do-dads. Pulling on lead indicates an over excited mindset that isn't healthy or safe for the animal no matter how he is being restrained. It is in the best interest of all involved to take the time to train a puller.

As for chokers themselves, too dangerous, wouldn't use one.
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 10:15 PM
I use choke chains on my Bulldogges, they wear them all the time instead of collars (collars simply snap on these guys like an old piece of rope! I've gone through hundreds, even thick heavy duty leather ones, waste of money...IMO) they wear Harness's on walks although I am not a huge fan of them.
Never had a problem with collars snapping on my other dogs, just my Bulldogges!
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4