View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 02:50 PM
I think they are a pretty outdated piece of equipment to be honest. I haven't used one for many years and never would use one now. If they are used correctly they are generally ok, but unfortunately 99 times out of 100 they are used incorrectly and that is when the problems occur.
susanatlasinski
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-05-2007, 04:11 PM
I also use a fine choke chain for showing, not the normal linked type but the fancy snake linked ones. It's thin so it sits under the coat and doesn't spoil the dogs neck line. When moving the lead is slack so it doesn't have the "choking" effect. When walking the dogs I use either a semi slip webbing collar, specifically designed for sled dogs or a strong walking harness.
susanatlasinski
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-05-2007, 04:17 PM
should have said in my last post that I don't like choke chains as a general rule as only a small persentage of people know how to use them properly and when used incorrectly can cause so many serious problems to the dog's neck and throat and I think choke chains cause a lot of lead aggression, the dogs are dragged away from other dogs causing pain and the dog associates the pain with meeting other dogs so it becomes aggressive on the lead. What's worse is people walking dogs on choke chains and flexi leads.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by dollyknockers View Post
Now i noticed the other evening when out and about that tara neck is red raw from where the chain collar is rubbing and cutting in , when i mentioned this to him he replied yes i know but its the only way to stop her from pulling towards the kids .
Its a surefire way to risk her becoming child aggressive. It is very possible for her to begin to consider children as the cause of the pain by visual connection.

To whuich i replied then surely it would be better to walk her when there is no football matches on and very few children around , that way you could put her back on the harness and be able to treat her raw neck .
To which he stated i like watching the football and itll teach her not to pull towards kids and just walked off.
So why cant the idiot watch the football on his own and leave her at home instead of forcing her to suffer pain and injury, the selfish swine

Maybe im wrong here but surely someone with his apparent knowledge from showing owning and breeding boxers he would himself realisde he is causing pain to his dog everytime he wears the choke collar on her and takes her to areas where there is a lot of activity .
Apparent knowledge and actual knowledge are two different things. He is injuring his dog already and risking fatal injury also, every time that chain tightens he is risking trauma to her trachea. If her trachea collapses it will be too late for him to realise how stupid he is being with her life - thats no exaggeration, collapsed trachea = dead dog.

i personally dnt use them so wouldn know how good they are for training a dog not to pull .
They are`nt. People who `always use them` do so often because they have no idea how dependant they become on them with a puller - if its the only thing that `stops them pulling` well it clearly has`nt actually worked then or they would`nt need it anymore, nor that the last thing to teach a dog to walk well is by putting something on a dogs neck which causes them to want to escape the discomfort, pain, and feeling of helplessness these things cause.

But from viewing the sore injury to tara neck and given she is a big set bitch surely they are not a good idea JMO.
So just wondered what everyone else thinks about this my sis and her oh have also spoken to him about it to no avail should i seek further help on this matter (is it an act of cruelty or just a very strict way to train) . your opions would be gratefully appreciated . thanks
If he has injured the dog and considers it acceptable to continue doing so, which is the case from your description, either report him or send him my way, I would happily demonstrate how a choker feels on his neck.
I`d guarantee he would never use another one again because just the sight of one afterward would make him nauseous...

If he can`t handle her on a harness he is either using the wrong type [ I bet its a Lupi... ], or the right type but wrong fit, and expects the harness to do all the work with no positive handler input.

[ If anyone thinks my post is harsh toward the moron, right now I am so raw that reading about the carelessness and what I consider cruelty toward a dog instead of that owner considering his dog to be a precious privelige to be cared for properly is really grating on me ].
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by dollyknockers View Post
Hi everyone just as a matter of interest i wondered what everyone opion is on choke chain collars .
A bloke i know who used to proffesionally show and breed boxers (now retired )has a three yr old boxer bitch called tara she is very boisterous when children are around , he has recently put her on a choke chain collar instead of the harness . now he walks tara at the busy time of the evening (he walks her around the local park and footy field) when theyre is loads of kids about . Now i noticed the other evening when out and about that tara neck is red raw from where the chain collar is rubbing and cutting in , when i mentioned this to him he replied yes i know but its the only way to stop her from pulling towards the kids .
To whuich i replied then surely it would be better to walk her when there is no football matches on and very few children around , that way you could put her back on the harness and be able to treat her raw neck .
To which he stated i like watching the football and itll teach her not to pull towards kids and just walked off.
Maybe im wrong here but surely someone with his apparent knowledge from showing owning and breeding boxers he would himself realisde he is causing pain to his dog everytime he wears the choke collar on her and takes her to areas where there is a lot of activity . i personally dnt use them so wouldn know how good they are for training a dog not to pull .
But from viewing the sore injury to tara neck and given she is a big set bitch surely they are not a good idea JMO.
So just wondered what everyone else thinks about this my sis and her oh have also spoken to him about it to no avail should i seek further help on this matter (is it an act of cruelty or just a very strict way to train) . your opions would be gratefully appreciated . thanks

I have not read the other posts on this yet so sorry if im saying the same as others,

with ref to the above, many people assume if you, show breed dogs then you can handle and train them, its sadly very untrue, from what i have seen in many breeds more so the larger working breeds, I have found that many can breed good looking dogs but are not able to train these dogs to any more than stare at a piece of liver in the ring, I have no real knowlage on smaller breeds so cant say, but in the working group I would guess-timate that 65% who are winning regularly with there dogs dont really know much on training dogs as a whole, shocking aint it,
wish I had met him I am not against check chains but they have to be used properly, most folk dont even know they have a right way and a wrong way to go on, to me they are a training aid, not an every day item to walk a dog on, I have used them as a short sharp shock on the rotts when needed, then move onto a half check so that the noise of the chain is still there without the throttle,
I have seen folk in the park and thought the poor ruddy dog, the chain being on the wrong way and the dog never getting any relief from the choke, whats that teaching the dog
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Not owned a choker for over 40 years, well I do still have a gold one that I was given when my Beardie was made up but it has never been used. I learnt many many years ago to train dogs off lead which means when you put them on a lead they don't pull because they have never learnt to.

you have made my day with this post, I train without a collar and lead, I often get the are you mental look though when I tell others about this method, my attitude being if you need the lead and collar to control a dog, what happens if one breaks when out on a walk? all the control is gone, not good enough
years of having horses has taught me never place your whole trust in a bit of leather.

In the hands of most owners they are IMHO almost cruel & in some people's hands definitely cruel. There are one or two breeds that spring to mind that are best with a long link choker because there are no collars that really fit them, but they are not breeds I would have.

It's the basic training that is at fault, most people don't start heelwork until the puppy is old enough to go on the ground away from home, I start from day one with titbits & toys luring the puppy off lead(but with a collar on)into a reasonably close heel position & then when I do put a lead on I have a dog that walks by my side because it wants to & doesn't pull because it has never worn a collar & lead to learn to pull into

many will be like oh ye thats gona work but trust me it does, ps its nice to meet like minded folk,
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by dougiepit View Post
[/U]

many will be like oh ye thats gona work but trust me it does, ps its nice to meet like minded folk,

LOLOL been doing it since 1965 & lots of people use luring now using a target stick or their hand like me, I trained a GSD that had been badly treated by a dog breaker & you couldn't train her with a lead on at all & even puttiong a normal collar on was at first traumatic. She eventually did lovely heelwork & never noticed the lead.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 06:08 PM
the statement for choke chains should say,
The trainers with brains dont need the chains
or have a brain dont use a chain,
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 06:08 PM
My sister and her husband spoke to the bloke again today about the obvisous wounds on tara neck and thankfully have sorted out the problem thus far , as to him going back to the harness and getting rid of the choke chain horray also my bil is going to help with training her to walk on a lead without pulling in thew same way he trained his own large male boxer (clicker training) he can let his dog walk freely about and dosen get distracted by footballers or kids . this was only reluctantly agreed to after my sister told him i was reporting the offence to the local welfare for animals .(an knowing me like he does he knows i mean what i say )here is a pic of my sister well behaved well trained boy buster
Thanx everyone for your great replies
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 06:12 PM
I have to add I do have a chain or two, Kaos has his lovely gold one, guess they are more for the bling thing than really walking, they would prob snap if he pulled, he also has his niffty brass one I often use for the show ring, so to all who show with one, I know where your coming from guilty as charged, but not for the cruel side of it more for the fashion / lookey nice thing,
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >