Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 12:16 PM
Do we mean full choke chains here?
I hate seeing full (or half) chokes on dogs when they're tight enough to cause injury to the dog.

I used to walk Takara on a half check. We couldn't go out at quieter times and I was really struggling. The half check (adjusted so it wouldn't tighten on her neck) seemed to work and cause less concern to her than the headcollars we had tried and, although the two large rings hit together before it could tighten on her neck, it did improve her walking because the click click click of the chain was an audio signal to her for when she was starting to pull.

However - I take my dogs for walks because I want us all to be happy - I enjoy watching them run and play and they enjoy the exercise. The last thing I want to do is turn their walks into an unpleasant experience so I would never choose to use the one thing they associate most with their walk (collar and lead) to hurt them.

Why doesn't he try a head collar on his boxer? If her neck is red raw, the choke chain is clearly not working.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 12:18 PM
Thankyou all for your replies i think i will call the rspca border1 just to let them know the situation ,not sure if he has started treatment on the wound but in my opiion if it was me and my dog i would not use the collar as he obviously isnt using it correctly or the approperate manner of training like colin has stated a distraction mthod might be better .
Zoey beau i to dnt thionk they should be used on boxers , ramble rant away i too dispise the blooming things . and more so hate ppl using them in correctly or as fashoin statements on a dog , or to nearly strangle the poor dog cos they cant be bloody well asssed to train it properly .
Zoeyb if her dnt buck his ideas up ill kick his dam asss also
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
Do we mean full choke chains here?
I hate seeing full (or half) chokes on dogs when they're tight enough to cause injury to the dog.

I used to walk Takara on a half check. We couldn't go out at quieter times and I was really struggling. The half check (adjusted so it wouldn't tighten on her neck) seemed to work and cause less concern to her than the headcollars we had tried and, although the two large rings hit together before it could tighten on her neck, it did improve her walking because the click click click of the chain was an audio signal to her for when she was starting to pull.

However - I take my dogs for walks because I want us all to be happy - I enjoy watching them run and play and they enjoy the exercise. The last thing I want to do is turn their walks into an unpleasant experience so I would never choose to use the one thing they associate most with their walk (collar and lead) to hurt them.

Why doesn't he try a head collar on his boxer? If her neck is red raw, the choke chain is clearly not working.
my views exactly lottie i hate them and dnt think inexperienced ppl should use them what gets my goat though is he used to show (professionally) and breed boxers so u would think he would have some intelligence about the breed and hw to train it without nearly strangling it with a choke(full) chain thats causing the dog pain .and obvious discomfort . and would have the sense to walk her in quieter areas , she is fab with ppl she just wants to run and play with the children which i see no harm in as she is a very gentle dog and very well behaved on call back commands she returns instantly on the odd occasion he letsa her of the lead that is .
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 12:26 PM
If a dog is actually being rubbed raw then it's more likely to pull to get away from the discomfort or pain, so this owner of the boxer is actually speaking complete rubbish

I've used full check chains but not for 20 years,and would never do so again as they can cause all manner of problems - with vertebrae, even the eyes and forelegs believe it or not

Under the new Animal Welfare Act brought in this year, I suspect he's actually breaking the law so hopefully someone such as RSPCA should be interested.

Good luck in helping this poor boxer :smt001
CockerMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 12:30 PM
Sorry i Hate them!!! haven't ever used one and never will!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by Colin Bradish View Post
The only real way to stop a large dog from pulling when it see something it wants to go after is by distraction and to use a strong leather & chain half check collar clipped to a 16-inch lead.
Hello Colin and welcome to Dogsey

I've trained dogs not to pull if they want to go after something, but haven't used any kind of punishment at all.

If my dog wants to get to something she's been taught (by setting up situations for training, and using real life situations too) that she has to comply first and it's always a good idea to Sit

Sometimes she gets to go where she wants but not all the time, so I'm always in control and she's always thinking that not pulling is going to get her what she wants...

Wys
x
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 01:45 PM
I used to use a check chain at all times on ny dogs but I only like the flat long link ones. Now I use a half choke as I'm not the only one who walks my dog & a check chain used incorrectly or put on incorrectly can cause problems. It always amazed me the number of people who came to training classes who had been walking their dogs on a check chain & didn't even know there was a right & wrong way to put them on. If the chain is just pulled on to stop the dog pulling it is useless I'd have thought. Usually in the ring at least for the last 20 years I've used a half choke with leather for all but one of my dogs. One was shown on a check chain as she would scrabble on the away & back so her handler used her on a check & heeled her for the away & back then linked the chain back for her to pull into when she was circling. Use a leather collar for benching but never to walk or work on as I found this type of collar caused most damage to their coat.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 01:57 PM
I do not like full choke chain collars and am surprised they still sell them as I thought everyone knew they are not a good idea, and to be honest with Inca they wouldn't work because of all the fur.
She came with a half choke collar. Even at full pull its not tight round her neck a bit like Lottie's I guess, but again I don't like it as it ruins her coat, she gets a grey chest and her fur is damaged, even just from wearing it round the house.

She has been using a canny collar, but I have spoken to them as it was causing her to choke and also making the skin on the sides of her mouth sore and thickened where it rubbed.

They are making a cotton one and have said they will send me one to try as that should be softer for her.

We tried an easy-lead and also a dogmatic but she gets so excited at going for walks she will chew as she tries to pick up her lead, and she did, straight through both of those in one bite.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 02:18 PM
I personally wish they would ban the dam full collar choke chains .
Theyre not cald choke chains for no reason are they
wendy taylor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-05-2007, 02:33 PM
okay am getting ready to be slayed here,I use a check chain on my male 18 stone Mastiff,but only in the show ring,its never tight,in fact,I do not think he needs a collar at all,if I am running round ring,and say back to him he will turn left,and close he will turn right,if I say stand he will stop dead,I have him on a check chain in the ring,as he has been attacked a couple of times by other males in his classes,and if challenged he will go back,he is a stud dog,and he is full of himself,but I must add this is the only time I use a check chain normally mine are on leather half checks,but I really want to know that with him I have full control,funnily enough,I don't think its ever been used to stop his pulling,just in a confrontational situation,when I want him to respond fast,and even then its not actually used to choke him,but to create a load noise as he lunges,along witrh my big gob yelling "NO"he has managed to slip normal collars,
I'M SORRY PLEASE DON'T SHOUT AT ME,SOB.
Wendy
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >