Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ryan W
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-02-2007, 07:00 PM

Tips on showing

Hi there guys ...

I definately want to show my Irish Setter Mac, he's 5 months. I've never done anything like this before lol. What do they need to be able to do? Just walk nice on the lead? sit?

Also, should I just take him to small 'county' shows first?

Is there a website where I can find out about all the shows in the country?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2007, 07:04 PM
If there is a ringcraft class near you then I would thoroughly recommend going to one. They will teach you how to stand your dog and teach your dog how to get used to a bunch of strange people going over them. They will then probably be able to keep you advised of any local shows that are around.
Ringcraft is great fun although I got told off last night as I went to the ringcraft class run by my Wilson's breeders oooppps!
Becky
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-02-2007, 07:55 PM
Hi Ryan, welcome to the world of Irish Setters. I've been an owner of Irish since 1973.

Irish Setters are a stacked breed, so it would be a good idea for you to go to a show and watch the breed in action. That way you'll be able to watch the experts at work, and see how it's done.

I agree with Mahooli, ringcraft is a great staring place, the Kennel Club will be able to tell you where your nearest class is.

If you don't mind saying, who bred your Irish? maybe they could tell you how to go about getting started. Unfortunately you've just missed the Irish Setter Club of Wales Championship Show, that would have been a great experience for you. How about a trip to Crufts in March? Also how about pictures of your puppy?

Dawn R.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2007, 08:05 PM
I would also deffinately suggest you find a ringcraft class as soon as possible, they will show you everything you nead to learn there. And visit some local shows where you will see what showing is all about. Still not too late for Crufts this year!

Try here, a list of shows this year from the KC.

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/down.../showdiary.pdf
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2007, 09:18 PM
would Bridgend be too far from you in Newport?

I can give you the details of ringcraft for thatone, or one in swansea if you like? I know the folk who help run the Bridgend club - experienced gundog people, which might be of extra benefit to you.

let me know and I can pm you details of either/both.
Ryan W
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-02-2007, 03:57 PM
I'm in Newport, so as close as possible ... Swansea is a bit to far i think though.

We're going to start going to Langstone puppy classes, anyone got any experience? It's tonight, so me and dad are just going to turn up and ask if it's okay if we sit in on the lesson see the methods and see if we like the trainer

He was bred by a lady in Llandeilo, Mrs. Prior I think. His pedigree is quite impressive. Lots of Champs on his fathers side

Thanks guys
Ryan W
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-02-2007, 04:35 PM
My gorgeous pup.

Yum yum. Mum's comming.

Oh Ryan, do go away lol!!

This one shows his coat off. It's all wavy on his back

Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2007, 10:59 PM
What a beautiful pup you have. I also have a 5 month old pup and am going to give showing a go. I have absolutely no experience either but can't wait to show him off lol
gracelund
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-02-2007, 10:38 AM
lovely pup. I know of a ring class in Blackwood if your still Interested
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2007, 10:51 AM
What a little sweetie - love the wavy back they get when their coat is coming as pups!

Have fun showing him!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >