View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2006, 08:01 PM
Pop them in a jiffy bag mate and send them up for Mary, Mungo and Midge - can't have good food going to waste mate!!!!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2006, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur
You can stop snmails/slugs getting to plants by putting chicken wire (or similar), or something like sandpaper or small gravel at the bottom of the pot, or around the bottom of the plant.
Thanks Hevvur, but I've already got gravel on top of the soil at the base of the plants (they're in pots), so does that mean it's not snails now then?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2006, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by Ashlady
Pop them in a jiffy bag mate and send them up for Mary, Mungo and Midge - can't have good food going to waste mate!!!!
Okey dokey Mind you my blackbirds are quite partial to the odd snail or two, and charity begins at home mate!!!
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2006, 08:35 PM
helen if the plant continues to get eaten your culprit could be in the soil many insects will live in the soil come out eat and go back you could always change the soil and if you dont want to use any nasty sprays try watered down washing up liquid wont hurt the plant or watered down tea put tea bags in a jug put water in let the tea colouring go to the water and put in spray and use as a deterent i use these two forms of spray on my plants and on my vegetables
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2006, 04:44 PM
Maybe Jen, the last time I had topsoil delivered was for my newly turfed lawn my handyman was doing for me, and guess wot? He only brought a mole in it!!!! Every morning I would wake up and look out the window and count how many mole hills had appeared overnight! Just my luck

Now, there was absolutely nothing on the clean white kitchen paper I had put around the base of the plant, not even snail slime? The leaves are in an even worse state today having been munched on again overnight! I might take your advice and change the soil, but then, all five plants I bought were potted with the same bag of compost a month ago when I bought them and re-potted them, and yet the others are fine!? I am going to do the washing up liquid spray in a mo too, see if that does any good. My Mum is saying it's blight, but the leaves aren't brown or anything, just holy?! I won't do the tea-bag thing until I've tried the washing up liquid, coz they might be partial to a cuppa! Thanks Jen for all your help
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2