View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
min_tbs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-11-2005, 01:05 PM

Keiko ran into road (can anyone help please?)

Hello I've just come back from a bad walk.
I was walking my gsp and Keiko my 4 month old Shiba Inu. I dropped a letter I was on my way to post but as I went to get it I dropped keikos lead, she ran into the nearest front garden of somebodys house, its a large garden and she began running around, I stayed calm and called her but she thought it was a game and kept running around wagging her tail, stopping near me, and when I got close running again. The worst thing was, I then managed to grap the lead but she slipped out of her collar (it was new and her 1st time wearing it, I didnt have it tight enough ) she then ran onto the very busy main road, I ran with my gsp so she would come back off the road and ran to our house (only about 50 metres away) where I managed to grap hold of her.
she thought the whole thing was a game.
I don't want this happening again, it scared me so much. I have to walk her on the main road again to get to the the beach and woods. I will obiviously have her collar tighter but does anyone have any advice about how I can stop her thinking its a game when we call her? I go training with her and shes good on recall in the class. we don't chase her or anything like a game. she does the same 'game thing' in our large back garden. (often when we call her to come in')
thanks
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

04-11-2005, 01:23 PM
How horrible for you,must of been really frightening,what about a harness when on the pavements,much harder to slip out of.
min_tbs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-11-2005, 01:31 PM
thanks zanta
It was horrible yes, I really thought she would get run over as the road is very busy and the cars go past so fast. I think a harness will be a good idea to prevent her from running off in the 1st place
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2005, 01:34 PM
make sure the harness is tight enough tho. My escape artist staffie has escaped hers several times. Before we left the house thankfully!
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2005, 02:08 PM
I had a similar experience while walking Keena once (minus the road part) and that was horrible enough, you must have been scared to bits

For that reason when we are near roads Keena wears a harness. But do be careful with which one you choose and how you fit it because like the others said even these can be escaped...Keena can slip her harness though not as quick as the collar (which is always as tight as can be without being to tight but she can still slip it)

If you have a problem with your dog pulling you might want to think carefully about a harness as these will only amplify that problem...Look for one that helps prevent pulling and that is hard to escape!

If your dog walks nicely with no pulling then just worry about it being escape proof.

Or maybe you could consider one of those half check collars (sorry don't know the exact term).

Hope that helps and that you are feeling more calm now
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-11-2005, 03:26 PM
Hi there glad you are both ok,
...yes, as the others say a harness may be a help at least in holding your dog more firmly...and some training too
One of the problems in the situating you found yourself in is this, it is a natural reaction to panic and when one does this the voice becomes excited and high pitched ,this in turn adds to the dogs excitement and confusion making the situation worse.
If one is able to keep calm (and that is not a natural thing to do) and able to tell the dog to sit and stay a nasty situation can be avoided. So maybe some extra training is called for too.
min_tbs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-11-2005, 03:35 PM
Thanks everyone, you have been helpful. I will get a harness for her when walking on the roads. We do take her training, infact, shes extremely good in the class. always comes to call, sits and everything else asked of her. I think I just must of panicked. (also the breeder told us once her Shiba inu's are 8 months she doesn't let them off the lead when in open spaces either, because they aren't very good at coming to recall because the type of dog they are. I'm just going to be very careful from now on!)
thanks again
Jenny
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2005, 05:31 PM
Hi - I have JSI's too but would never let my youngest off the lead. I know this was an accident, and luckily it didn't end in any harm coming to Keiko or you and your GSP. The best thing I can recommend is to fit a harness, as others have suggested, then she won't be able to slip out of it. Hope you've recovered - sometimes they really do try us. Continue with the training - things will improve in time and she's only 4 months, so everthing's a game at the moment
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2005, 06:33 PM
Happened to us when our little houdini slipped her canny collar and went across a road. OH was trying to catch hold of her and I was stood in the middle of the road stopping traffic! It's a nightmare and you're heart is in your mouth. We have a harness now though and find it much better
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-11-2005, 05:49 AM
Try training the 'instant down'. It can be a lifesaver - quite literally.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >