View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2011, 11:09 AM
A friend had a welsummer that used to attack her and her daughter. Mine was ok with me but used to run away from Rob, but never attacked.

Ours are bronze x blacks. We got 6 last year from someone on a poultry board, killed 3 for Christmas and saved 3 to breed.

I keep changing my mind about the ducks. Just wish they weren't drakes. I just know that I want to keep ducks. Watch this space....lol

Helen
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
Lots of chickies then lol. A lot of people round here have the RI and one keeper has black leghorn. We are tempted with them as I did like my white leghorn we had, which ended up being a pet really. If you can sell a trio of the pure breeds, you will sell them better, and for more money. Are you going to sell the eggs or do you eat a lot of eggs lol?

We are looking into buying an incubator but will have to be a cheap and cheerful one as we can't really afford it. I just love hatching eggs!

Helen
I think the plan is to sell the pure breeds at some point depending on how we get on in the future with hatching more eggs, there is a regular poultry auction at Lanark, so may take them there (although I am also mindful of your experiences of poultry auctions )

We do tend to eat a lot of eggs - well the dogs do!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2011, 11:53 AM
We have a Brinsea Ova-easy incubator (the 190 model: 192hens eggs (including 48 in integral hatching tray)). It is great and very easy to use.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2011, 01:33 PM
From what I remember, your incubator was VERY expensive! lol

A keeper has just dropped off some fertile black leghorn, welsummer bantam and full size welsummer eggs! Need that incubator soon!

Helen
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2011, 06:28 AM
Oooh, I have been promised some fertile Light Sussex this weekend - for free!!

A guy across the road has a small flock, but isn't planning to hatch, but says if I want 6 eggs, I can have them, no charge!!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2011, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Oooh, I have been promised some fertile Light Sussex this weekend - for free!!

A guy across the road has a small flock, but isn't planning to hatch, but says if I want 6 eggs, I can have them, no charge!!
Brill!!!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2011, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Brill!!!
Yup - apparantly they are good utility birds, so it means spare cockerels won't go to waste either
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 02:23 PM
Excellent. I do like light sussex but have the hybrids at the moment.

Helen
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
Who has got what, and what are the plans for this year?

I've got my hybrid layers - 3 light sussex x, bluebelle and a black rock.

3 breeding turkeys - currently have 18 eggs in different incubators (we don't have an incubator at the moment).

3 ducks - 1 cherry valley, 1 runner x khaki campbell and 1 aylesbury type. All drakes unfortunately, so either looking to get rid of them all or keeping the aylesbury and finding a couple of ducks to put to him.

6 silkie x light sussex to be used for brooding grey partridges as part of a reintroduction scheme.

I am looking for some speckled sussex this year. OH wants bantams but we are struggling to find them so might have to go for full size. Might have sourced some fertile bantam eggs but they will have to be posted and not convinced about that. Ideally, I would like a trio so I can start breeding myself this year.

Finally, going to get some welsummer eggs back from a trio we gave to a friend.

Helen
Helen,

There is a little farm in Mablethorpe (Lincolnshire) that were selling bantam babies last year - not seen a sign for them this year though - sorry that was useless information

I don't like bantams - the ones on the farm where I had my work experience were evil! If I wanted to get the eggs I had to stick my boot in there to stop them attacking me... little b*ggers..
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 08:52 PM
I have found an ad selling speckled sussex in lincs but not bantams. I'm not bothered and I think we are going to have to go for full size as bantams are very thin on the ground.

Made a decision about my ducks and am keeping the runner. I'm collecting a fawn and white and a fawn runner on thursday to keep him company

Helen
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »