Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-06-2012, 10:35 PM

Very upset - bitten again

So, I have been muzzle training Barney.

A few short sessions. Barney has been shoving his nose in his muzzle as a willing participant. For food. But of course he has resource guarding issues, although he has been happy for me to hand feed him twice every day.

So, when I tu turned put the muzzle away he flew for me and bit my other wrist. But he was not content to bite once and again threatened to bite me a second time but I managed to get back against the sofa and just stayed stock still, avoiding eye contact with him. He eventually sloped off behind the armchair and went to sleep.

I left the room and came back 10 minutes later and his eyes were wild and mistrusting. I spoke soothingly and then chucked a biccy into his crate and he has gone to bed.

I just don't know what to do for this dog. I don't trust him one bit now. He has bitten me five times altogether.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-06-2012, 10:38 PM
Is this a foster dog ??
What do the rescue he is from say ??
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2012, 10:39 PM
have you sought help from a behaviourist ?
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-06-2012, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Is this a foster dog ??
What do the rescue he is from say ??
The rescue would not take him due to his issues. However, I have a feeling someone has not been honest with me about this dog.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-06-2012, 10:42 PM
Its a hard one ...
Do you think the dog would settle anywhere ?
Hiding a dogs bite history is wrong isnt it ...
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2012, 10:44 PM
Originally Posted by Maisiesmum View Post
The rescue would not take him due to his issues. However, I have a feeling someone has not been honest with me about this dog.
I am sorry that this has happened but it was forseeable, I can only reiterate what I said to you on your original post about the other biting incident. I do not think you are best placed to help this dog, if indeed he can be helped.

Do not underestimate the danger you are placing yourself in.

Each time this dog does this the more likely it is that the severity will increase along with the frequency.

I would urge you to relinquish this dog before he does some irreparable harm, either physically and/or emotionally.

I am sorry if this sounds harsh but you remind me of people who suffer from domestic violence, always hoping that next time it will be different.

Trust me, it won't.
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-06-2012, 10:44 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Its a hard one ...
Do you think the dog would settle anywhere ?
Hiding a dogs bite history is wrong isnt it ...
Absolutely. I can't imagine who on earth is going to take Barney on. He is too unpredictable. I was told he nipped their child. And he guarded his food...
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-06-2012, 10:45 PM
I was also told I would receive a detailed history via email. I am still waiting.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2012, 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I am sorry that this has happened but it was forseeable, I can only reiterate what I said to you on your original post about the other biting incident. I do not think you are best placed to help this dog, if indeed he can be helped.

Each time this dog does this the more likely it is that the severity will increase along with the frequency.

I would urge you to relinquish this dog before he does some irreparable harm, either physically and/or emotionally.

I am sorry if this sounds harsh but you remind me of people who suffer from domestic violence, always hoping that next time it will be different.

Trust me, it won't.
Agree with this.

I couldn't keep an unpredictable dog who bit me on multiple occasions. Where is the pleasure in living on edge all of the time?
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-06-2012, 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post

Trust me, it won't.
Thanks for your honesty. I am hearing you.
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »