Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
Ahh, but it doesn't say 'Kennel Club'!
It says 'Kennel Registered'!
It's probably the DLRC, or some other 'scam' type of registration!

You should e-mail them, and ask what they were bred with to make them small!
ahh well spotted i didnt notice that. how can they say show standard? they dont even have a standard!
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 02:50 PM
My window cleaner was proudly telling me that they would be buying a 'jug' for their small daughter because they thought that the pug part would mean it wouldn't be yappy! By the time I had finished telling him what I thought, he had changed his mind to a Cavalier!
kobi
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-03-2011, 03:41 PM
sorry, new one to me .
whats a jug. pug with?
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Jug's are apparently Jack russel x pugs ,
I've seen loads of these Pocket sized beagle ads over the years,usually by the same few people regulary just trying to make a fast profit.They look so badly bred.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 04:14 PM
The AKC Beagle Breed Standard does have two sizes & many breeders in the USA refer to the ones under 13 inches tall as"pocket"sized-must have very big pockets in the USA !!!

From the AKC site:-
Varieties
There shall be two varieties:
Thirteen Inch--which shall be for hounds not exceeding 13 inches in height.
Fifteen Inch--which shall be for hounds over 13 but not exceeding 15 inches in height.
American"Pocket"Beagles can be seen here
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 06:24 PM
I will never get the appeal of people wanting handbag-sized dogs. Heck I trip over the cat enough as it is without adding a dog a similar size into the equation when I'm bleary eyed on a morning!
kobi
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-03-2011, 06:34 PM
I know what you mean about handbag dogs but the pocket size on joedee's link give a height of 10-11 inches.
also a page explaining the use of mini, pocket and teacup as descriptions.
Lot of huffing and puffing and then you get what looks like a genuine site breeding to the smaller AKC standard for health and temperament.
So maybe the ladies getting a proper pocket Beagle after all.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 06:47 PM
Was going to ask about 'Jugs' too so am glad has been answered already. A dog was described recently(sorry don't know what breed or cross) as ' a rat on a rope'.
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by Magpyex View Post
I really don't understand the trend of wanting to make small breeds even smaller, though. If someone wants a small dog, why not just go for one of the toy breeds? Are they not small enough?
Totally agree, and these 'tea cup' breeders seem to have no compunction about how it will affect the health of the dogs.

Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
I will never get the appeal of people wanting handbag-sized dogs. Heck I trip over the cat enough as it is without adding a dog a similar size into the equation when I'm bleary eyed on a morning!
But that's just your personal preference, I love my TOY breed dogs, they are not handbag dogs. I don't trip over them and in fact I have found larger dogs much more of a trip hazard, especially when they catch you in the back of the knees!

Personally I can understand why people want smaller versions of larger breeds, Toy Poodles, Miniature Schnauzers etc. So if it's done responsibly I don't see a problem with it. I would really like a Klee Kai, which is like a miniature Husky, but it appears to have had a rather disreputable start.

J.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 07:20 PM
People who 'know' are not fooled or ignorant(sorry if sounds harsh or not well put) by whatever size or breed of dog. Breeding dogs for wrong reasons, (mostly fashion, trend, money making) is despicable. There is an ever increasing and worrying trend that needs to be and should be stopped regarding dog/animal welfare but sadly despite the ever growing problem is being ignored by laws, government? and left like many others to the hard work n donations of volunteers who care. A little dog does not = a fashion accessory no more than any other and most certainly wasn't born to be carried around in a handbag. Am sure they'd tell anyone the same if could
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >