Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

23-03-2011, 06:13 PM

The future of the Blog section

As many of you know our blogs were initially introduced to serve as a great place for people to share whatever was going on in their lives (which are what blogs are generally for) however they were also partly introduced so that people could share things that weren't allowed on the forums, such as litter mentions, light self-promotion, requests for donations/sponsorships etc

However, recently somebody has used a blog to post updates on their training with an electric shock collar. And as you might imagine all hell as broken loose in the comments. So why don't we moderate them? Well that's the point - we don't! Blogs are self-moderated, the blog owner decides which comments can stay up and which ones cannot (that's how blogs on the web generally work). But that leaves a loophole for them to say whatever they want as nobody is moderating their own comments.

We don't really want to start moderating the blogs - because they were never designed to work that way, and we also don't want to start censoring what people can talk about, because that pretty much goes against the whole point of a blog - they're meant to be places where you can talk about whatever you want to talk about, no matter how contentious the issue. If we do start putting bans on topics then they kind of stop being a blog - so perhaps a better option would be to not have them.

I hate electric shock collars as much as the next person - but don't think censorship is the answer, what happened to good ol fashioned ignoring something you don't like? And the way blogs work - newer blogs push down older ones... so it doesn't take long for them to vanish of the front page.

However, having said that - I do appreciate that for some it goes against the ethos of the site, someone using our blogs to speak about their experience with shock collars - in a positive light - which some might see as promoting them.

The question is would it be acceptable to start adding things that are not allowed to be discussed in blogs? Or is it better to call it a day and just remove them?
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 06:20 PM
I use the blogs to keep a sort of online diary of Louie's training and also so I can get some help as well as constructive criticism and also so I can check where I am going wrong myself...

I don't quite understand what exactly you are saying but I want them to stay
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 06:24 PM
I don't think the issue here is the blogs, but a few certain subjects being blogged about. Personally I think people need to be able to talk about things or not - if something's banned from the main forum then I don't think there should be another section where they can. Otherwise it defeats the point of having "no-go" subjects anyway.
I personally see no problem in banning certain topics if the majority disagree with them. Forums need rules - you wouldn't allow someone to come on here advertising their website, is that not censorship? If people starting making threads about how they abuse their dogs, would you not remove it?
Personally I think a set guideline of what we can and can't talk about, and having the enforced, would sort things out. If e-collar threads aren't allow then ban anything other than a brief mention of them in another unrelated topic. If they're allowed then moderate the thread as you would a thread about clicker training - remove off-topic posts, don't let the OP get harrassed. I think the problem here is that you're allowing members to discuss subects that 99% of the forum, including the mods and admin, don't agree with so threads get out of hand and it brings the whole forum down. I know I'm guilty of joining in but with emotive subjects I don't think many people will be able to ignore them, so you need to either make it clear that these subjects are allowed and you won't tolerate members being picked on for them, or to ban them.
Just my two pence.
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2011, 06:24 PM
Could you have a special "controversial" section, with the mention of e-collars banned elsewhere?
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 06:26 PM
If we're on about who I think we are, I personally don't see why she spoil it for the rest of us. I use the blogs to show my litters and love to look at other people's and how they are developing.
To be honest Azz don't know what you can do about her, at least AP was knowledgable on the subject (albeit misguided) what worries me is that new members might think the e collars are a quick fix which we all know they are not.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
what worries me is that new members might think the e collars are a quick fix which we all know they are not.
That is the main issue with me and the main reason I didn't just ignore the threads/blog. For someone to discuss this as the only option, no other choice, etc. when that is not the case will only give newbies the idea that 6 months of non-consistant training with incomplete or incorrect methods is all you can do before resorting to an e-collar and I would hate to think that people came to Dogsey and went away with that idea in their mind. I love that there are so many members on here with good, sensible advice who will give so many suggestions and tips and would love for that to be the message Dogsey gives out.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 06:37 PM
As far as I can see, the blog was set up to get round the new rules. So why not simply moderate the blogs? Apply the same rules - including the report option?
Might I also suggest that if you are looking for a good Dogsey campaign - Ban Electric Shock Collars in England would be a good one....
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

The blogs should stay, it was the content of the blog that was the problem, nobody else has caused an issue with their blogs.

I agree you should ignore, but I've seen you also stand up against something Azz on here, and other places, when you have felt really strongly about a subject. It's hard to ignore something, when it evokes strong emotions.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by Azz View Post
As many of you know our blogs were initially introduced to serve as a great place for people to share whatever was going on in their lives (which are what blogs are generally for) however they were also partly introduced so that people could share things that weren't allowed on the forums, such as litter mentions, light self-promotion, requests for donations/sponsorships etc

However, recently somebody has used a blog to post updates on their training with an electric shock collar. And as you might imagine all hell as broken loose in the comments. So why don't we moderate them? Well that's the point - we don't! Blogs are self-moderated, the blog owner decides which comments can stay up and which ones cannot (that's how blogs on the web generally work). But that leaves a loophole for them to say whatever they want as nobody is moderating their own comments.

We don't really want to start moderating the blogs - because they were never designed to work that way, and we also don't want to start censoring what people can talk about, because that pretty much goes against the whole point of a blog - they're meant to be places where you can talk about whatever you want to talk about, no matter how contentious the issue. If we do start putting bans on topics then they kind of stop being a blog - so perhaps a better option would be to not have them.

I hate electric shock collars as much as the next person - but don't think censorship is the answer, what happened to good ol fashioned ignoring something you don't like? And the way blogs work - newer blogs push down older ones... so it doesn't take long for them to vanish of the front page.

However, having said that - I do appreciate that for some it goes against the ethos of the site, someone using our blogs to speak about their experience with shock collars - in a positive light - which some might see as promoting them.

The question is would it be acceptable to start adding things that are not allowed to be discussed in blogs? Or is it better to call it a day and just remove them?

What a shame this has happened. I'm not sure what the answer is.

On the one hand, I feel that someone's blog shouldn't be censored (except, perhaps, for comments that are nasty or abusive), even if it is something the majority are overwhelmingly against. A similar thing happened with a blog before, didn't it, with people getting upset? Not to do with e-collars but related to a dog's behaviour and training.

On the other hand, people who are overwhelmingly against e-collars in this case (which has been banned in Wales) do not want the forum associated with it in any way.

It is also hard because if someone feels they have had a major success with their dog via a method everyone is against, they won't have anywhere to say as much. Having said that, perhaps people don't want to hear it anyway, if it involves something like e-collars.

I'm useless, aren't I?

I know some people enjoy blogging and it would be a shame for them to lose out.
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
As far as I can see, the blog was set up to get round the new rules. So why not simply moderate the blogs? Apply the same rules - including the report option?
Might I also suggest that if you are looking for a good Dogsey campaign - Ban Electric Shock Collars in England would be a good one....
Great idea x x
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »