Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 09:31 AM

Poor frustrated dog.

Someone came to me yesterday that I know, she's younger then me, and when she first got a job she spent £200 getting a German Shepherd from the local paper for her dad, the dad didn't want the dog, she didn't want the dog, so it fell to her mum to lok after him. The dog is now two years old, and is never walked, because everyone says they can't handle him. People tried warning her against gettng a dog because of this very reason when the dog was a puppy I did see the girl walk him with her friends once, and they started laughing when the dog pulled one of her friends out into the road causing a car to swerve.

Anyway I haven't seen this dog since then, the people also brought a mini poodle cross Jack Russel, and both dogs are left in the garden, the girl asked me whether I could try and get the dog out, and I agreed, now a couple of people may know that I have had a few issues to say the least with German Shepherds in my life, I'd never get another one, but I would never refuse to help one either. I love them if they belong to other people, but Diesel is a much GSD as I'd ever get.

Anyway I got there, got led into the kitchen, the door was then shut and both dogs were led in, the GSD ran straight for me gobbing off and trying to bite my arms (I have scratches from his claws all down my arms) he then managed to get into the house, when he isn't cat friendly, and they have five of them, so I got him out (and he wasn't wearing a collar ) he then reared up and tried going for my face, anyway I managed to get the dog out into the garden, and off me when he then grabbed the little dog and started shaking him. Now at this point I will say that I had to bring one of Honey's leads over, as the GSD never had one, and it was her leather lead as its the most strong one incase he pulls, anyway when I saw it shaking the dog the first thing I did was hit it on the flanks to get it away from the little dog, and then I got inbetween them and he calmed down (I would never hit a dog in any other circumstances), but this dog is a working breed, kept in the garden with only the little dog for company, has no toys and is very frustrated, and takes it all out on the little dog, I fear he could kill him. But the owners just leave them saying the little dogs just as bad as him anyway at this point I said that I would still take him out, he needs some stimulation, and a muzzle too, because I wouldn't trust this dog for a while at least not to be aggresive outside of the house and garden, I have one that might fit him that I said that they could use (a baskerville type, wouldn't have any other), but they decided that he's too much hassle and that it would be unfair on me and him to take him for a walk .

This poor dog also had no muscle tone, when he jumped up at me he made less of a impact weight wise then when Honey jumps up for a cuddle (she puts her legs around me and stays like that lol), I could feel all of his ribs without appling any pressure, he desperatly needed a brush too, but they say that they can't do it. I just totally feel sorry for this dog, all that frustration, and no outlet apart from the other dog I have told them to seperate the dogs, the little one gets on with the cats, there's no reason why he can't be in the house, and use the front garden as toliet. I've also told them to get toys for the German Shepherd, and that I would help get him out, and deel with him, and I will make sure that something is done

I just feel that they are not physically abusing him (the lead was the only time someone had touched him that way) but what they are doing is just as bad if not worse then someone beating a dog IMHO, and I wont be letting this rest.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 09:42 AM
Tell the local dog warden two dogs being neglected & larger attacking small dog. Problem is if tbey have shelter in form of kennel or shed & signs of water dish etc, its not offence to keep dogs outside. Your only bargaini g is to quote neglect & aggression

The dog probably saw you as intruder to his territory, got over excited & attacked the small one out of sheer excitment. However thats no life for either so think dog warden your best bet
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 10:54 AM
I'm so pleased to hear you're on the case, Charlie...... Bless you for helping this boy.

Poor dog deserves so much more....
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 11:29 AM
Poor poor dogs

Do you think there is anyway they could be pursueded to rehome one or both of the dogs?

They really do have no life and it is so frustrating that this sort of neglect is over looked by the authorities.

I do hope you can help these poor dogs and well done for trying
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 11:32 AM
We don't have a local dog warden, and the local rescue is shutting down (but rubbish anyway) so the only ones I could ring are the RSPCA, which I doubt will do anything, if they did take him he'd be PTS, but I think in the hands of someone who cares he could be a great dog poor thing Vicki he really does deserve more, both of them do, poor little things, I even heard the owners say that they brought a new kitten, and its made the others leave home, one hadn't been seen for four days, but they said it would be a waste of time looking for her, she'll be back I just hope she's allright, they live near the main road.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Poor poor dogs

Do you think there is anyway they could be pursueded to rehome one or both of the dogs?

They really do have no life and it is so frustrating that this sort of neglect is over looked by the authorities.

I do hope you can help these poor dogs and well done for trying
They wont rehome any they say that a dog is for life, so they're keeping him for his life, whether or not he could be better of elsewhere, they say that he's their responsibitly, yet they don't take any respsonsibilty for his welfare
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 11:36 AM
Oh dear.
I would try and talk them into getting the poor dog rehomed - a GSD rescue would give him the best chance
If they cant brush him or walk him and dont play with him then they cant enjoy having him - best for everyone to get him rehomed
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 12:40 PM
They need to be persuaded to rehome them, if not it has to be the RSPCA. If it comes to that then you could tell the RSPCA you will take responsibility for him rather than him be PTS and hand him over to GSD welfare, but the problem is once the RSPCA take him, there is no guarantee they will merit what you say, but even so, PTS is better than his current pitiful existence IMO and they may be able to do something about all the animals as I really don't think they deserve to have any.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Oh dear.
I would try and talk them into getting the poor dog rehomed - a GSD rescue would give him the best chance
If they cant brush him or walk him and dont play with him then they cant enjoy having him - best for everyone to get him rehomed

Agreed.
I would be telling them how disgusting it was to leave dogs in such poor conditions, with lack of basic animal care - and if they do not find him a new home, you will report them Chaz it may make them think; physical abuse or not its abuse.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 01:14 PM
I have let them know that the RSPCA is in my mind (I doubt they will do anything but...) these people in my mind have no excuse for the dog getting this bad, well no body has a excuse for this, but this family go bike riding every day, up to twelve miles, and in country side areas too, theres no reason if they wanted to why they couldn't train him to run with the bikes, I think that the issue though is them wanting too.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >