Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-06-2008, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
1-They do at our vets & don't forget some vets keep records by breed so these designer X's are simply recorded as X breeds
2-Paintings of Queen Victoria's Pugs from her first one in the mid 19th C to the later ones in her life-their faces were bred flatter & flatter to give a more baby(as in human) look-they were X'd with King Charles Spaniels to make them look baby like as well. Look at the King Charles Spaniels from the 17th C they had longer noses & were actively used in hunting Woodcock
3-puggle at our vets with cr*p hips, skin & breathing problems that did a runner if let off lead anywhere & not 9 months old
4.Pugs are an Asian companion dog that has been in Europe for over 400 years, beagles are a 14th century European scent hound. Both quite high energy breeds
5."A Puggle is one of the most popular designer dogs. .......................... Despite being highly energetic, a Puggle is also a great lap dog. They do well in apartments despite being lively and slightly hyper." from one of the major "puggle" breeders websites in the USA
6. Why does this vet promote mongrels over pedigree dogs ??? haven't a clue, but perhaps it could earn him money in the long run.
7.I was merely pointing out that the so called"hybrid"vigour allegedly in "real"mongrels is nothing to do with hybrid vigour, but survival of the fitness(ie the male who mates the most bitches) & an aggressive male will drive off less nasty rivals ensuring his genes are passed on
i just been perusing some pictures from days gone by and i really cant see the faces being flatter than todays pugs?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-06-2008, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by nickyboy View Post
but you know we are talking about mongrels as in cross breeds - do you really think the vet is talkig about feral dogs
really?
do you??

sorry bad editing but my replies to joedeeuk are in bettwen her ones - except for the one at the end ...
Nickyboy: When using the quote feature DO NOT alter people's text. If you do this again we will have no choice but to close your account as people do not appreciate being made out to say things that they have not.

Also you have been given an infraction for your rude aggressive post see below . If you wish to query this please do so using the feedback section not the thread . Thank you.
http://www.dogsey.com/showpost.php?p...&postcount=497
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 04:39 PM
i just been perusing some pictures from days gone by and i really cant see the faces being flatter than todays pugs?
Which paintings have you managed to find on line of Queen Victoria & her pugs ?? The ones I have seen are in the private collections of art collectors & Pug fanciers No photographic stuff of her & her toy dogs on line only in private collections

You might find artistic drawings but no actual photographs from the 1830's & if the drawings of breeds today that some artists think are typical of dogs are taken for the actual dogs they often don't even look like the breed let alone the actual dog !(I've got one of one the Cavaliers not quite sure what he looks like, but it sure isn't a cavalier
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-06-2008, 04:43 PM
Which paintings have you managed to find on line of Queen Victoria & her pugs ?? The ones I have seen are in the private collections of art collectors & Pug fanciers No photographic stuff of her & her toy dogs on line only in private collections

You might find artistic drawings but no actual photographs from the 1830's & if the drawings of breeds today that some artists think are typical of dogs are taken for the actual dogs they often don't even look like the breed let alone the actual dog !(I've got one of one the Cavaliers not quite sure what he looks like, but it sure isn't a cavalier
I google imaged it and trawled through what came up, there were a couple of her and her pug ( dont know which was which ) one of prince albert and then a few photos and like you say a lot of period artwork as well

can you do me a favour and let me know where i changed your text to misrepresent you as if I have ill apologise, but i cant find where..
Jotyrrell
New Member!
Female 

26-06-2008, 05:10 PM
I google imaged it and trawled through what came up, there were a couple of her and her pug ( dont know which was which ) one of prince albert and then a few photos and like you say a lot of period artwork as well

can you do me a favour and let me know where i changed your text to misrepresent you as if I have ill apologise, but i cant find where..
I cant see where you altered the text either and I have to agree that most mongrels bred today are escaped family pets and not feral dogs
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 05:30 PM

You found photographs from the 1830's when she got her first pugs ?????? They must be unique as there aren't any from that date in the Royal archives !

The first pug she had had quite a long muzzle(for a pug)she then opted to breed shortened muzzles as the effect was to"humanize"the head. King Charles also had longer muzzles(much like a good specimen of Cavalier today)but they were crossed with the much shorter muzzled pugs, also making them look more human.

I'm not saying that I like pugs(older type or modern)but they have been bred in a closed genetic pool for much longer than 100 years(they came from China & were related to the Pekingese & kept in the closed world of the Chinese Royal family for 100s of years(or so one source states)

I don't know what you are writing about I haven't written that you have altered my text anywhere & I haven't complained to anyone either
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by Jotyrrell View Post
I........................ I have to agree that most mongrels bred today are escaped family pets and not feral dogs
I didn't say they were/are feral dogs, but the most aggressive male will always beat off any rivals(seen it with roaming packs of straying pets in Hull)the resultant puppies will have dubious temperaments & probably also allowed to roam to reproduce themselves
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-06-2008, 06:08 PM
You found photographs from the 1830's when she got her first pugs ?????? They must be unique as there aren't any from that date in the Royal archives !

The first pug she had had quite a long muzzle(for a pug)she then opted to breed shortened muzzles as the effect was to"humanize"the head. King Charles also had longer muzzles(much like a good specimen of Cavalier today)but they were crossed with the much shorter muzzled pugs, also making them look more human.

I'm not saying that I like pugs(older type or modern)but they have been bred in a closed genetic pool for much longer than 100 years(they came from China & were related to the Pekingese & kept in the closed world of the Chinese Royal family for 100s of years(or so one source states)

I don't know what you are writing about I haven't written that you have altered my text anywhere & I haven't complained to anyone either
Sorry I didn't catch the date ill look when I'm not on my blackberry tomorrow
Ill send you the pics if you r interested

The question at the end was because I recd a yellow card and the threat of membership cancellation for adding my quotes to yours though I highlighted I had done it accidnetally by putting my answers between your points.
Obviously no offense or misleadin intended but I think there's different parameters for different people on these forums so they just lookin to pull holes in whatevr content. They find of mine

Let me know if u want those pics and ill send u the links
Azz
Administrator
Male 

26-06-2008, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by Jotyrrell View Post
I cant see where you altered the text either and I have to agree that most mongrels bred today are escaped family pets and not feral dogs
Why is your location different to the country you're post ip is from?

More to the point why are you using a proxy? (sluts.lir.dk)

Account banned unless you can email us a very good explanation.

Thread will be cleaned up in a mo.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 11:06 PM
This is the vet who also believes that Labradors x Standard Poodles produces healthier dogs-overlooking the fact that Labs & Standard Poodles have the highest incidence of epilepsy for pedigree dogs, they both have PRA/severe HD in their genetic make up & also Std Poodles have SA & Labs Narcolepsy as genetic conditions

Pugs have been around for a long time & haven't changed much over the last 100 years or so(if anything they had even flatter faces in Victorian times) Beagles are the same-however it was found when someone had two litter mates Hip Scored that they can have severe HD. So what is acheived by breeding these crossbreeds ? Well it could be all good of course provided that the parents are perfectly healthy on the otherhand they could inherit severe HD & the Beagles hunting instincts & Pugs skin fold problems !! making them not such a good cross
This illustration from an article in DT shows how Pugs and Bulldogs used to be, the faces appear to be longer rather than flatter......

Ref:
Hancock, D. [2008] Dogs Today: The Long And The Short Of It. June Edition pp 74-75.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >