View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MmeFroggy
New Member!
Female 

01-11-2015, 09:23 AM

Rescue Bichon Puddle Pug barking all night. HELP!!

Hi all
We rescues a lovely Bichon puddle pug 4weeks ago. Jessie has a lovely temperament, very quiet and loving during the day. However she has not settled at night and barks for hours on end. We tried her in a crate in our bedroom and slowly moved her out of the room but that has not stopped her barking. We had to move her back to the kitchen as she thought of the upstairs as being her toilet a couple of times during the day. She now does not go upstairs at all which is a plus but of course the night time barking is not stopping and we are so tired and feel helpless. Any advise would be very appreciated. Thank you
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2015, 09:39 AM
How old is she?

Is she usually 'clean' in the house?

What is her background - ie has she had a home before or is she a pup?

If clean and a little older, maybe she is used to having free run of the house at night (settle on sofa maybe) so you could try that to see if it makes a difference
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2015, 09:51 AM
When you start to go to bed do things sporadicaly. Leave a radio on playing softly and leave a dim light on so that she doesn't know that you have completely left her. Come down a couple of times before you settle to sleep so that she thinks that you are still coming downstairs to stop. If she is back in her crate for night time then cover it so that it is dark. She will still be able to see a night light but this will help to comfort her. Give her a soft toy to sleep with that is warm from you having it by you when you have been sitting on a settee and watching the tv. Before you put her in the crate, I prefer to cal them dens, thend o some brain work with her, not made exercise, but things that will make her brain tired, such as find the hidden toy etc. Hope some of that helps.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-11-2015, 10:12 AM
I know what a Bichon is, I know what a Pug is but the Puddle bit has me bewildered. Pugs love to be as close to their owners as possible and will frequently not settle without them in sight. Whatever breed she favours, it's early days and she needs time to adjust. So you really need to decide where she is going to sleep and stick to it, she undergone a lot of change already so keep changing things won't help as she needs to feel settled. Personally I would crate her in the bedroom and only let her upstairs at bedtime, that way if she wakes in the night you can talk to her gently until she settles again. If you don't want her in the bedroom long term then crate her where you do want her to sleep but be prepared to sleep close by for a while until she adjusts. So if you want to crate her in the lounge, sleep on the sofa and be within hearing distance so that if she barks you can talk gently to her. I have a baby gate on the lounge door so they can't go upstairs during the day or access the dining room or front door.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2015, 12:58 PM
Puddle (although I think should be Puggle?) = Poodle x Pug
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-11-2015, 01:15 PM
I thought a Puggle was Pug crossed with Beagle.
Pug a poo would be Pug x Poodle
None of which make sense if it's also crossed with a Bichon lol
I dunno perhaps she'll come back and explain.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2015, 02:21 PM
My last little girl we called a miniature Egyptian Pharaoh dog. She was pure Heinz 57, but she had sphinx like ears and had 'the pose'. It was a great ice-breaker for conversations and we made many new friends because of it.

You could well be right on the 'puggle' mix, but it doesn't really matter, it's the barking that's the problem.
MmeFroggy
New Member!
Female 

01-11-2015, 02:42 PM
Hi guys thanks all for you advise. Sorry for the typo (oops) she is a Bichon poodle pug, 12 months old today. She is clean in the house.
I'll feedback if any of this work. At this stage, we will try anything. Thanks again.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2015, 07:47 PM
It won't just work overnight so try it for at least a couple of days even a week to make sure that she understands, especially with fireworks going off over the next week or so.
MmeFroggy
New Member!
Female 

01-11-2015, 07:51 PM
Thanks Brenda1. We Will persevere.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >