View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luce
New Member!
Female 

15-08-2015, 03:06 PM

How can I improve my dogs behaviour towards other dogs?

Hi,

I have a 2 year old Shih Tzu cross Jack Russell and I'm struggling with her when she meets other dogs.

She's not aggressive as such (she's never bitten another dog and I don't believe she ever would) she is just very pushy with some dogs and can growl at them and chase them.

She's nearly always off a lead and she has relatively good call back (especially when biscuits are involved)

I'm having trouble with some other owners, which I do understand as she comes across like she's going to cause trouble, but I am a responsible dog owner and I would have her on a lead if I ever thought she would bite. But I also think that she would get ten times worse if I put her on a lead every time we saw another dog!

On today's walk we have had a paticuarly bad experience as the other owner went to chase her off as she chased his dog. I did say to him that she's safe and doesn't do any more, but was met with a mouthful of abuse and a threat to kick her head in. Obviously not all dog owners are like that!

But I was just wondering if anyone had any training techniques or tips please to help her? She's not a bad dog I think a lot of it is anxious behaviour.

Please help, thank you!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-08-2015, 03:19 PM
If your dog came at my (onlead) dogs like that , then she would get attacked, and possibly bitten, then MY dogs would be 'Dangerous' because of course your dog wouldn't hurt a fly and obviously it is the fault of mine - or is it?
My dogs are always onlead except in certain places, yet still they get accosted by dogs such as yours, when they react, then it is me who gets the looks and mutterings, despite the fact that the Dog Warden takes it as the offlead dog being at fault and the aggressor in situations such as you describe.
I would advise you to keep your dog under control because sooner or later she is going to meet up with her Nemsis, then you will doubtless be very upset
SusieL
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-08-2015, 03:36 PM
Sorry but I don't think you should ever allow your offlead dog to run up to another unless they are already 'friends'. I have older dogs and foster too so they are often recovering from operations or arthritic and the last thing we need is another dog running up to us, however safe or friendly they might be. It is just bad manners to allow your dog to act like this and I don't blame other owners for objecting.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-08-2015, 03:37 PM
Well if her recall is good recall her as she starts to chase, call her back and have her walk at your side. I suspect her recall isn't that great or you'd already be doing that.
The other owner may have been a bit OTT but he's protecting his dog. How does he know yours won't bite, he's only got your word for it and he doesn't know you. Your dog is behaving in an aggressive manner towards other dogs, it's off lead so will be seen as out of control, you can see that can't you?
Train your dog to stop dead, to recall in an instant whatever the distractions. That's what every owner should do whatever breed of dog they own.
Luce
New Member!
Female 

15-08-2015, 03:55 PM
Hi, I'm really sorry perhaps I've not explained myself properly. But thanks for your replies.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

15-08-2015, 04:38 PM
Well try and explain again then.
Luce
New Member!
Female 

15-08-2015, 04:44 PM
Hi, sorry i'd rather not carry onas I don't want to be accused of horrible things (probably sounds soft I know) I was wrong to post on here. My sister has recently adopted from the RSPCA and has sessions with a behaviourist with the dog she adopted so I think I may try and seek help from someone like that.

As I said she's really not a bad dog and the majority of dogs are off lead where we walk so keeping her on would only make her feel intimidated i am sure.

Thanks for your interest though
Izzythesprocker
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-08-2015, 06:49 PM
Perhaps try a long line to prevent her from giving chase, but so she doesn't feel intimidated. How often does she get to play with other dogs?
Luce
New Member!
Female 

15-08-2015, 07:06 PM
Hi,

Thanks for your advice. I like the idea of a long line and I will certainly try that. We have another dog that she plays with all the time but I guess that's different. I try to make sure she gets to greet all other dogs (that are also off leads) when she's out walking and it's only about 30% of the time that she will be funny with them (again, she's not dangerous at all) She doesn't tend to play with other dogs that she meets but does get the oppurtunity to. It's almost like she just wants to be in charge all the time..?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

15-08-2015, 07:51 PM
Sounds to me like she doesn't understand dog etiquette. A lead is a lead regardless of length and if she has reasonable recall you should work on making it perfect. I don't think anyone said she was dangerous, we said out of control because that's what the law says. Tbh she's putting herself in danger if she's doing it to unknown dogs. Be aware not everyone who calls their self a behaviourist has any qualifications.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >