Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
daisys-mum
New Member!
Female 

15-08-2015, 10:07 AM

Scared of new pup

Hi guys just wondering if anyone could help I have a male Rottweiler (he is neutered) and have had him for 18 months (he was 14months old when I got him). I am also currently fostering a a rottweiler x bitch who is intact.

We recently accquired (3 days ago) an 8 week old DDBx and while the bitch has taken to her and loves her, my male has decided he is scared of her he jumps out of his skin whenever she is near him and will do anything to get out of her way. He was fantastic with the rott bitch when she came to live with us.... does this sound like he is just jealous that his 'girlfriend' is interacting with the pup or is it just a case of he needs time to adjust.

I personally think he just needs time to get used to the new baby and have given him his own personal space to escape to but my o/h is already seeing his **** and cant understand why he is being like this.

Thanks in advance
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-08-2015, 11:49 AM
Most adult males are wary of puppies lol but all dogs male or female react differently to any newcomer tbh. I once described the different ways in which my lot behaved and they were very different from each other and sometimes appeared quite out of character to their normal behaviour. So I would say he probably just needs a bit of time to get used to the idea.
daisys-mum
New Member!
Female 

15-08-2015, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Most adult males are wary of puppies lol but all dogs male or female react differently to any newcomer tbh. I once described the different ways in which my lot behaved and they were very different from each other and sometimes appeared quite out of character to their normal behaviour. So I would say he probably just needs a bit of time to get used to the idea.

Thank you.. really appreciate the reply... I'm letting him have space of his own and using positive re-inforcment with him when he does go to see her and lets her near him (lots of cuddles) and letting him control the pace of the interactions fingers crossed
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-08-2015, 12:49 PM
That's a good idea .

I don't think dogs decide to be scared, they just react to how they feel.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-08-2015, 02:18 PM
Agree with Trouble, many adult males are a little weary of pups, they don`t have that maternal instinct, so just give him time, and a bit of time out away from pup when you feel he needs it.