Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2011, 05:49 PM

Toileting in the house !

Bella our lurcher has been with us for around a year. We got her from the Dogs Trust and she was a stray. Of course when we first got her she was not housetrained, we have another dog so she caught on pretty quickly and will ask to go out when i am here.

They get a short walk in the evenings and i make sure they go for a wee before i go to bed, pretty regularly she has been peeing and pooing in the hallway overnight. It has got to the stage where i now leave newspaper down.

Am i unknowingly encouraging her to toilet by putting the paper down ? what else can i do ? i had thought about bringing her afternoon meal forward so she toilets earlier ?

Any advice please ?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2011, 05:57 PM
Perhaps a slighter longer walk in the later evening? I say this because my dog (who poos once or twice a day) never ever goes until we've done about half a km. She will pee as soon as we get to the kerb. She tends to poo in the same spot every time on whatever walk we are doing. If she doesn't go by the time we've passed the first one - I continue to walk her til we get to the next one and it usually does the trick every time.

Hope this helps. I've never had a dog that 'goes indoors' - but I do think they can get into the habit of going in the same spot.

If you are finding this every morning it might be that she needs to go out earlier in the morning.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2011, 05:59 PM
Or, put it this way, I take my dog out every morning between 6am and 7am. About quarter of an hour after we leave she has pooed! So, I assume if she was still shut indoors at that time - she might just poo indoors!
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2011, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Maybe i should just walk them then until shes does a poo ! job done !

I take them out for a 1-2 hour walk in the morning after i've dropped my youngest son off at school, usually around 8.30 and she does toilet first thing when we get to the woods. Bit difficult for me to walk earlier coz i have two kids to sort out for school.

Think i may bring her afternoon meal forward a bit and give them a longer walk in the evening, thanks for the advice.