Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
82angelfan
New Member!
Male 

30-06-2009, 06:41 PM

Defiant terrier mix

I know I should search all threads but don't have time. My terrier poops in two places in the house. He knows it is wrong because he slinks away if caught or hides even when he notices someone has discovered his little treasure. He will go outside if I am outside too. When we let the dogs out in the morning he follows he big dog around on his rounds of remarking and dumping then comes in, waits for the right moment, and sneaks off to do his thing on the carpet. HELP! He was a rescue puppy. about a year old now. My mom says terriers are just defiant and it will take time. Also need help with chewing vary particular items and cat poop.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2009, 09:04 PM
Terriers are not defiant - they can be feisty little dogs because they are bred that way for ratting etc. but they are not out to be difficult on purpose. Dogs can not read your mind - you have to train them so they know what you want them to do.
If your dog is not properly house-trained yet I suggest you start again, taking your dog outside and praising him when he obliges. Don`t leave him inattended so he can go in the house, and he`ll soon get the idea. He doesn`t `know he`s done wrong` - dogs read your body language and know you are cross. That is what he`s reacting to.
He should not be able to get at the cat`s litter tray - I suggest you move it. If he is chewing, distract him by offering him a toy and playing with that instead, so he learns what he can play with.
It sounds like you could do with a good Puppy training book which should cover a lot of this.
82angelfan
New Member!
Male 

30-06-2009, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the scolding. I have house broken and trained a beagle, three dalmatians, and now a perfect Australian Shepperd. I use 90% praise and 10% stern behavior. NEVER violence. The puppy has many toys that we play with and he and the other dog play with. He likes the crotches of panties and the heals of socks. Go figure.
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-06-2009, 11:07 PM
I know how you feel lol

I have a jrt that I've had from a pup - no problems at all.

I have also had a rescue jrt - with much the same problem as you describe.

Patience, patience, and even more patience I'm afraid, no shortcuts in my experience there.

I think the dog is confused, and feels under pressure. I would ignore the indoor soiling and instill a very consistent routine - treat almost like a young puppy from scratch.

But it will take longer than a puppy as you are retraining.
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-06-2009, 11:17 PM
He likes the crotches of panties and the heals of socks. Go figure.

Just to add - how is he getting access to these favourites?
82angelfan
New Member!
Male 

30-06-2009, 11:48 PM
Thanks Magic. No shortcuts. No Magic potion. My mother said the same with her terrier. Takes more time and patience. I,ll remain calm and vigilant. The panties and socks are due to our own lazy nature. gotta be smarter then the dog. Rest assured I will never abandon or abuse my dogs.
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-06-2009, 11:52 PM
That's the spirit!

Terriers can be a real pain in the ass if there's something they're just not quite getting!

I've had a few, and no amount of bullying or coercive methods work at all - but patience does pay off. Love them!
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2009, 05:22 AM
Terriers aren't defiant - not in the sense we'd understand it. He's not doing anything just to wind you up - he doesn't understand your rules yet. I would go back to puppy basics, as he does need retraining - and some of my jack owning friends tell me it can take up to 18 months to reliably train their pup. Patience and consistency is the key - as Magic said they don't respond to anything but.

The items he likes to chew - no surprise - that's where - not to put too fine a point on it - you sweat the most. Interesting smells to a terrier. You do have to out think a terrier, for sure - that's why I love them Invest in a sealed laundry basket
and good luck - I am sure you'll have years of fun .
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2009, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by 82angelfan View Post
Thanks for the scolding. I have house broken and trained a beagle, three dalmatians, and now a perfect Australian Shepperd. I use 90% praise and 10% stern behavior. NEVER violence. The puppy has many toys that we play with and he and the other dog play with. He likes the crotches of panties and the heals of socks. Go figure.
And thank you for your rudeness. Perhaps not leaving your soiled laundry around (euw!) would be one way forward.