View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2015, 10:04 PM
Which insurance company are you with as an op to remove a retained testicle usually comes up as a necessary medical procedure rather than a straight castration?
Lama
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-10-2015, 07:52 AM
Blimey that is a lot Lynn if no scans etc.

My boy has had a large op and was under for some time but they charged the same as a bitch spey , just over £200.
Lama
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-10-2015, 07:54 AM
Chris, phoned my insurance and they do not touch anything to do with castration and from what i can see googling other policies most insurance companies will not touch anything to do with castration....Pet Plan and Direct Line do but most seem not to
Lama
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-10-2015, 07:59 AM
I will just leave it till next year and have the blood test maybe and then find a good ultrasonographer and put him through another op if they find it.

He is 18 months so should be ok to leave for now.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

29-10-2015, 07:59 AM
Yes it was a lot but it turned out to be a major op for him the testicle was right into the stomach. I know we paid it did not go through the insurance cannot remember who he was with as it was such a along time ago now.
Not sure if we enquired about them paying some or not.
Lama
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-10-2015, 08:03 AM
that is interesting because the op my boy had they rummaged around his stomach, he was under for some time and has a huge incision the length of his underside.

Having said that I don't think they expected it to be such a big op and they just stuck with the price they had quoted.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

29-10-2015, 08:16 AM
Our vets then did say to us it may be straightforward most are the retained testicle is almost dropped so not as far up as it was but did warn us it could end up being a big op which it was seems our vet was prepared for the worst which it turned out to be.
As mentioned Max did not need x-rays or scans they seemed to roughly know where it would be if it wasn't going to be straightforward and were prepared. Although we had been warned it could be expensive it was s till a bit of a shock but we had saved luckily after a consultation and being warned.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-10-2015, 10:44 AM
I have had two Cavalier bitches - a mother and daughter - which were difficult to get into whelp. Both turned out to only have one ovary. (That bloodline ended there with me). Although it is rare, there is a possibility that there was only one testicle present. I would give him more time, and go for the blood testing option.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2015, 12:53 PM
Just a suggestion, but if it were me I'd write to the insurers telling them that the only reason for castration was on your vet's say so because of the retained testicle. I'd also ask the vet for a letter spelling out the necessity of such an op then ask them to reconsider.

Nothing to lose and everything to gain scenario
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2015, 03:20 AM
Our Harvey had a retained testicle. Licily they got his bit the vet did warn me some ops can be difficult trying to trace the retained testes.

I agree with Chris, ask your vet to write a supporting letter to the Insuers. Youve nothing to lose and a lot to gain.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >