View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-06-2015, 09:29 PM

Tardak (chemical castration) and possible skin allergy?

Tardak (chemical castration) and possible skin allergy? I was curious if there were any here whose dog may have had an adverse reaction to Tardak, namely intense itching and hair loss? There's not an awful lot on the net regarding Tardak... really have to dig for it.. Thanks.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2015, 05:23 AM
Have you looked at the NOAH website. You could contact them for more information. I do know that at the site of the injection it can cause the coat to change colour. So that could be an indication of a reaction. Have you asked your vet.? On the website for hyperdrug the contraindications for tardak does say there could be hair loss. This to me says that yes there could be itching.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2015, 04:39 AM
All chemicals have side effects. We never use them for this, just castrate physically. Far safer and far more effective.
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-06-2015, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the replies. I exhausted all usual suspects on google, if I were to believe what I did read there I would be thinking all is well using this stuff. There appears to be quite a lack of literature readily available on the net regarding Tardak, I did find a couple of studies, unfortunately didn't bookmark them.

Anyways, it was used in a senior dog, basically to see if it assisted with possible prostate problems, he's since been castrated. Hormone jabs, indeed any jabs I don't like to use too often either. Thanks.
crivensjings
New Member!
Male 

06-01-2016, 04:43 PM
My 7 year old border collie had a Tardak injection roughly 3 months ago to help reduce a swollen prostate. He had also developed an infection in his urinary tract causing him to drip blood from his penis. This was treated with antibiotics: the first type had no effect but it cleared up after the vet prescribed another brand.

About six weeks ago he started to scratch regularly and his hair came out in clumps. His coat lost its natural shine and became dull and waxy. There also seemed to be a lot of dermatitis-like, dead skin scales coming off him when brushed. Oddly, he has also become hypersensitive to being scratched on various parts of his body. Prior to the injection it was very rare to hit one of those spots that causes the hind legs to start kicking, but now it happens very easily when I scratch his chest, lower back, and belly.

While the latter side effect is difficult to account for, it's possible that Tardak is responsible for the hair loss - the manufacturer's information leaflet does advise of potential hair loss but only around the injection site, not the entire body. However, two courses of different antibiotics will also have killed of much of the bacteria in his system (they don't discriminate between good and bad bacteria) which could lead to a yeast infection which can also be a cause of itchiness and hair loss.

I'd be interested to hear if any other forum members have experienced similar side-effects in their dog following a Tardak injection or a course of antibiotics.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2016, 05:20 PM
This is strange because my Border Collie who is 10 years old has the same symptoms as yours crivensjings but he is entire and not had the injection. Just a small problem a couple of weeks ago with a flea or two. Now no fleas but i am told these scale skin deposits are a result of fleas. Never had this problem with any of my other collies and I have had them for 30 years. Could be the weather being so mild or being on the same food for awhile. So today I have bought evening primrose oil to see if that will help. I know it will take awhile before I see a result if any. I have to be careful what I feed him as he is allergic to rice and chicken. Would be interesting to hear if others are having this problem. Am now wondering if it is due to a hormone change which would happen if you have used tardak. And could be with my collie as spring has come so soon.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2016, 05:26 PM
As a related thing to tardak I had my bitch collie regularly injected with delvosterone and never suffered any side effects and had the most luxurious coat and skin.
crivensjings
New Member!
Male 

10-01-2016, 09:28 PM
Hi brenda1,

Thanks for your thoughts.

I ordered some evening primrose oil capsules after reading your post so I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on his progress for a bit.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2016, 08:38 AM
I have had Tyto on evening primrose now for 5 days and certainly noticing a difference and also extra vitamins just to boost him as he had a very bad reaction to a blanket made, believe it or not, of wool. Fancy a collie being allergic to wool. The reaction started up a mild yeast infection which the tablets are helping with. Hope your dog gets better soon.
crivensjings
New Member!
Male 

11-01-2016, 08:53 PM
A collie who's allergic to wool...!? LOL

Thanks again.