View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-01-2015, 01:10 PM
Yup, fipronil will do the job on the fleas. That's the stuff that's in Frontline, and if you do treat him with that, Frontline Plus protects against ticks as well, though not as effectively as fleas, especially if you live in countryside. You'll still have to be vigilant and pick those bloodsuckers off.

The biting! That constant dig of needle teeth into your hands, arms, feet, anything within reach! I know it well. My first one had no bite inhibition whatsoever-- puppies normally learn this from their mother, but if they are taken away too young, they may not ever learn it properly. I tried everything, like you. Here's the thing that finally worked for me: whenever NeedleTeeth would start chewing my hand (which was just about the only thing he wanted to do, ever), I would simply close my hand around his jaw and ignore him. Not hard enough to hurt him, just enough to hold him there while I pointedly paid no attention to him whatsoever. The downside of this is that it really hurt. A lot. Those teeth are sharp. But it taught him very quickly that the game was not fun. Other times I'd smear something nice like cream cheese or paté on my hand and let him lick it off, so he'd know I didn't mind him licking me, but the chewing always resulted in my holding him there. I don't know if this would work for you or if you can put up with the pain-- it worked for me.

I'm so glad to hear that your puppy is doing better! I hope the treatments sort him out soon!
sreebh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-01-2015, 05:43 PM
I have noticed that he bites more when he is upset. He is a very emotional pup, and he resents all the special treatment his sick brother is getting. Also the more I resist him or scold him, the more uncontrollable he becomes. The only thing that works is distraction, like diverting the biting to his favorite doll. Thanks a lot for the suggestion, I will give it a try.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-01-2015, 06:06 PM
I can't believe I have missed this thread. You are doing an amazing job and I give you many kudos for helping these sweet babies.

For the fleas, I swear by using dawn dish soap. Give frequent baths and he will be flea free. I used it for a previous foster puppy and it was amazing. You'll still need to treat your house though. I much prefer to use this method than pharmaceutical flea treatment but that is only a personal choice.

How is the little one eating? Sorry if I missed his name.

His brother, is he crate trained at all? You can try to give time-outs to teach him to stop biting. Hopefully he will learn that biting = no more fun.
sreebh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-01-2015, 06:34 AM
Thanks, I did see the dawn dish soap treatment earlier, but I don't know if we get that here in India.
The little one's name is Sreebhadra...a girl's name, though he is a boy. We named him after a little girl in my daughter's school who is really tiny and lightweight. The brother's name is Ikru.
Sreebhadra is not able to eat most things, even though he has interest in some of the food items. He tries to chew food and it comes out of the sides of the mouth. He tries only a few times and quickly gives up. Right now, I am feeding ragi porridge 4 times a day using a dropper. Also giving milk.
He can only eat food he can lick off the plate. I tried giving him grated boiled egg and cooked fish etc, he cannot chew well any of these. So I need to think of more liquid recipes for him. If anyone has any suggestions, please give.
Thanks once again for all the support!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2015, 07:00 AM
Poor guy. You can mash cooked fish etc into a pulp that requires very little chewing. Perhaps mix it with his milk? Hope nothing is wrong with his mouth. Be sure to check for sores etc. Does he have his puppy teeth? If so, just keep trying. Soft but yummy foods might entice him to keep trying. He's probably just still too weak to really chew properly. Perhaps you could ask the vet about it, too. You're doing so well, keep up the good work.
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-01-2015, 02:30 PM
Do you have a blender or a hand mixer? You can blend anything soft with milk or water or stock. Try blending cooked rice, egg, and carrot-- very nutritious and the carrot adds a bit of sweetness that most dogs really like.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-01-2015, 02:52 PM
Can you get puppy formula? Would be better than milk as it has more of the nutrients a puppy needs. Also try to feed with a bottle, maybe he'll respond to that better. If not, the food might be too thick, try to water it down more. You may also have to force feed the little guy. He needs his strength and the only place he can get that is through lots of food. I had to bottle feed a tiny kitten, no more than 5 ounces. He did not want to eat at first and would resist. I force fed him every 2-3 hours until he started to feed himself and the rest is history. Now he's a pig that won't stop eating. Feeding 4 times a day is not enough for this little guy seeing as he's so weak. Does he have teeth yet?
sreebh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-01-2015, 05:05 PM
He has his baby teeth...but whatever he tries to chew gets stuck on the roof of his mouth. I haven't tried the carrots...will try that tomorrow. Today I made a paste of lentils and rice, and gave with a dropper. Yes I also feel the quantity is less, otherwise he wouldn't be so weak. Tomorrow I will feed him more.
He is certainly attracted to sweet foods. I cannot see any sores in his mouth. I guess he will start eating on his own once he gets his strength back.
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-01-2015, 06:25 PM
It may be that he just doesn't have the strength in his tongue yet to push gunk off the roof of his mouth. In that case, you'll have to water it down even more so it won't stick. Lentils are a good idea-- very nutritious and tasty. If he does like sweet things, you can use any sweet, mushable vegetable like carrots, parsnips, or peas; squashes are good too, sweet ones like butternut or pumpkin are very nice. You can sweeten food with plain apple juice. Avoid grape juice, as grape is toxic to dogs, but apple is just fine so long as there is no added sugar or artificial sweeteners (do steer well clear of those! Xylitol is particularly bad-- it is poisonous for dogs).

Little meals may be all he can handle right now, but if he has many throughout the day, it should start building his strength up. All the best to you-- may you succeed!
sandgrubber
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-01-2015, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by sreebh View Post
I cannot see any sores in his mouth. I guess he will start eating on his own once he gets his strength back.
Is his pallet properly formed (ie., not cleft, even a little bit)? If he has a malformed pallet, it's possible that sticky food will be harder to deal with than relatively dry, non-sticky foods that tend to be swallowed whole.
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »