Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2005, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by spotsmad
Haven't heard of online secretarial agencies, thanks for the suggestion, I'll see if I can find some sites......

If you find any, let me know!
Am currently trying to get out of a job that is making me depressed, but I cant leave until I find something else
jacquie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-08-2005, 05:15 PM
DONT touch them. They are a scam. I tryed the same kind of thing a couple of years ago. They want you to buy into the company and it's like pyrimid selling. A guy came to the house to see me and after 5 hours of pushing (he wouldnt take no for an answer) Hubby came home and TOLD him to go. After that I was bambarded with e mails until I blocked them.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2005, 05:35 PM
That's a shame.
Trouble is, I am cynical these days and my first thought on any of these apparently great schemes is, "if it is THAT good, why isn't everyone doing it - and why are they not more selective about who they take on?" (ie they would be flooded with enquiries and people wanting to sign up).

I will certainly share any outcomes on this thread.

We do have the equivalent of Yellow Pages, "Golden Pages" and in the County Town there is an organisation that gives advice on small business set ups, etc, have spoken to them on the phone but need to trek over there and have a chat with them. I had shelved the idea of self-employment but it seems to be the best option for working from home. Just need the right business - the €1M question!!!!!

Gill
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2005, 06:00 PM
Sounds a bit of a scam to me. I have heard that all these 'extra income!!!!' deals are a bit of a dubious deal. The ones where you build or make up something at home, apparently they are never happy with what you build and refuse to pay you!

Have read this thread with interest. Am looking to change jobs atm. Shift work killing me. Would love to work from home!
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2005, 09:32 PM
Suddenly, out of the blue, I have a cunning plan.....

One of the books I said I had "on the chocks" has suddenly taken shape, I have the title (vital to me, if that is right the rest follows - if it makes we whoop and jump around the room I know I'm heading in the right direction) doing the synopsis and a couple of chapters so I can start the painful flog around publishers. Something to keep me optimistic while I find something more immediate as a source of income!
Might go back and do some short stories, used to do that and was published but that was years ago and not worth a huge amount but might buy the groceries for a week!

While this is going on I need to get on with my dissertation, but written English has always been a joy to me and not a chore. Remind me of this when I have writer's block 50,000 words into the book

Keep the idea coming though, I am probably more likely to win the Lotto than get published again

Gill
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2005, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by spotsmad
Suddenly, out of the blue, I have a cunning plan.....

One of the books I said I had "on the chocks" has suddenly taken shape, I have the title (vital to me, if that is right the rest follows - if it makes we whoop and jump around the room I know I'm heading in the right direction) doing the synopsis and a couple of chapters so I can start the painful flog around publishers. Something to keep me optimistic while I find something more immediate as a source of income!
Might go back and do some short stories, used to do that and was published but that was years ago and not worth a huge amount but might buy the groceries for a week!

While this is going on I need to get on with my dissertation, but written English has always been a joy to me and not a chore. Remind me of this when I have writer's block 50,000 words into the book

Keep the idea coming though, I am probably more likely to win the Lotto than get published again

Gill
Good for you Gill! Do you have an agent? I have discovered that hardly any publishers will look at you without being approached by an agent and it is REALLY hard to get an agent.

Have you got the Writers' and Artists Yearbook? This lists all agents and publishers that deal with your genre.

I don't know which are happy with an unfinished book and which prefer that you have finished the novel. Hope you don't mind me posting on this, hope it is helpful.

Short stories are a great idea - not just for the money but also to put on your writer's cv to show you have been published.

GOOD LUCK!
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2005, 11:33 PM
No never used an agent, just Artists' & Writers' Yearbook and gone direct, maybe that would be something worth looking at. Want a UK publisher, not Irish, will look into Agents over the weekend.
I have something on my writers CV but of course the more the merrier, and more recently it's a bit thin
Last time I hawked a manuscript round they wanted a synopsis and three sample chapters... again, need to study an up to date A&WYB to check requirements of the publishers more likely to take an interest in this one.

Gill
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2005, 10:54 AM
This might help a bit:
http://www.writersservices.com/agent/

Yep, synopsis and three chapters is the usual requirement, plus a covering letter.

Best of luck with it!
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3